Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 owners do you shoot 147 during competitions?

kmanick

I run Aguila 124g out of my S2 and like them very much. Recoil is very manageable and they cycle flawlessly. I would say I have close to 8K rounds with maybe 1 FTF. And honestly, I can't remember if that was the Aguila or if it was some other ammo I was trying out.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DFIVE3 said:

I run Aguila 124g out of my S2 and like them very much. Recoil is very manageable and they cycle flawlessly. I would say I have close to 8K rounds with maybe 1 FTF. And honestly, I can't remember if that was the Aguila or if it was some other ammo I was trying out.

Aquila 124 and S&b 124 were the two loads I was using the most before we started reloading. . now we're going back and forth between the ACME 135's and 145's.

both shoot well and we've had no issues with them yet.

• 4 months later...

I got in to  reloading so I could have a secure source of ammo that I preferred with a heavier bullet that seems to work better on steel, and maybe shoot more per $ and of course work in all my 9mm guns reasonably. I didn’t intend to experiment but in comes the CZ Shadow 2.

I’ve tried a few different bullets now and I am still searching. So much for not experimenting. 

I started with Berry’s Plated 147 and I liked those. I’d get a dimple from the seating die but no biggie. However, wanted something different and cheaper I started looked at coated. Shot, plunked and gauged well. 

I liked the 145 Summer Enterprise RN bullets but I had to seat them deep to plunk. I didn’t care for that, though it wasn’t an issue in the Glock. 

I then bought some Bayou 135 RN and was able to seat them a touch longer and had less plunk failures. My favorite bullet so far.

I’ve now got a sample pack of Blue Bullets 135 TC that I’m excited to try but concerned about the .355 and accuracy. That seem like they will plunk and gauge really well though. 

I also picked up some Gallant 125 RN to try. 

All the loads I’ve worked up are around 4gr of CFE-P and seated about 1.10 getting to 130pf or so. They’ve all shot well even eject fine with the stock recoil spring.  The 125s will be a little different.  About and around, please work up your own loads.  

The heavies are a little pickier about mixed brass though. 

I bought a ShockBottle 100rd case gauge and that is awesome. 

So 5 months later and thousands of rounds down range my reloading/shooting compadre have settled on Ibejihead 147s

CCI primers W21 at 3.4 grams I'm not sure of the OAL but we have probably shot between us 6 thousand rounds of these Ibejiheads and 

have had little to zero issues with them.  A light strike occasionally but that's it. Accurate, great recoil at this PF (right at 131) and no jamming

issues.

I'd love to get my hands on some Federal primers but they seem to keep eluding us :(

On 10/20/2018 at 4:25 AM, kmanick said:

So 5 months later and thousands of rounds down range my reloading/shooting compadre have settled on Ibejihead 147s

CCI primers W21 at 3.4 grams I'm not sure of the OAL but we have probably shot between us 6 thousand rounds of these Ibejiheads and 

have had little to zero issues with them.  A light strike occasionally but that's it. Accurate, great recoil at this PF (right at 131) and no jamming

issues.

I'd love to get my hands on some Federal primers but they seem to keep eluding us :(

3.4 GRAMS. WOW!!!

no wonder their frames crack ?

Edited by yigal

19 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You must cut your own 9mm brass down from .300 Winchester Magnum brass.     ?

That's why I still haven't made any of my own Ammo, yet. It's very hard to get that brass in any quantity, then it's a pain to process, so I am still in the prep stage...

On the seriouss side, this topic and your replies have really helped me. Thank you.  I am interested in whether or not you guys have experienced one thing that I have.  When using Bayou TCG 124 grain Bullets, the PPU shell casings I process just like all other range pickups regularly fail the plunk test. Do you see that?

Edited by DCSigCZ

On 10/21/2018 at 6:58 AM, yigal said:

3.4 GRAMS. WOW!!!

no wonder their frames crack ?

brings us right to 130-131 Power factor ........ grains , sorry mis typed

Edited by kmanick

1 hour ago, DCSigCZ said:

That's why I still haven't made any of my own Ammo, yet. It's very hard to get that brass in any quantity, then it's a pain to process, so I am still in the prep stage...

On the seriouss side, this topic and your replies have really helped me. Thank you.  I am interested in whether or not you guys have experienced one thing that I have.  When using Bayou TCG 124 grain Bullets, the PPU shell casings I process just like all other range pickups regularly fail the plunk test. Do you see that?

It must be the bullets you’re using  because I never had any problems using PPU brass with RMR’s TCFP 124 Gr FMJ bullets. I load these at 1.102-1.104 OAL with 4.1 Gr Winchester 231 for my CM, shadow 2 and TSO. It passes the plunk test every time.

On 10/19/2018 at 3:05 PM, Riley said:

I’ve tried a few different bullets now and I am still searching. So much for not experimenting. 

My son shoots Shadow 2 and after trying various bullets, the two best for the his CZ and my Tanfoglio are ACME 147 FP and PD 147 FMJ RN. Both load and plunk at 1.14. I like the PDs while he the ACME  because to make PF it can be loaded a bit slower than the FMJs.

Blue bullets, Eggleston RN and TC, Berry’s and a couple of other plated brands all had to be loaded at 1.08 to fit the rifling and plunk properly. The shorter length in 9mm makes case selection more critical. 

Blues were slightly less accurate than the ACMEs because they only came in .355 while others can be bought at .356 or .357, depending on what your gun likes.

There’s a lot of talk about having to wait for the gun. I doubt most people are out running their shadow 2 with 147 or 165. While the gun might feel slow, it’s still cycling between .09 and .11 depending on spring weight. If it’s not returning to zero fast enough then it’s either a grip or spring weight issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Shadow 2 are still in all factory state, all springs and internal parts are still original. I shoot 135g BBI bullets using Titegroup and they feel soft for me. My load metered about 132 PF in my chrony. I can't complain about it, although I'm planning to change some springs in the future to trim down a few lbs in the trigger pull. ?