Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 owners do you shoot 147 during competitions?

kmanick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using an 8lbs recoil spring, thin buffer, and 124g ammo (Freedom 124 reman-129pf in the S2).  Flat is fast.  Won first in production division over the weekend with this setup.  And, I'm an old guy. 

I’m shooting Precision Delta 147 gr. Remanufactured, and love them. No problems, and not much more expensive than factory ammo. I don’t reload either, don’t have the time, just out there to have fun. I shoot 124 in the PCC, also Precision Delta reman. The ammo is pretty dirty, but I clean after every match anyhow. Still cheaper than Atlanta Arms reman.

Personal preference on bullet weight.  If 147 seem slow cycling and you are waiting, then look at changes to recoil springs and/or main spring to speed (or slow) up the slide action.  Ditto for any bullet weight.  Tune the main spring and recoil spring for the slide action you prefer for your preferred load.  Just be aware that changes in bullet weight and/or powder may change the feel and you will be back to changing spring rates.

22 hours ago, abb1 said:

I shoot a Shadow in Production Optics, and for that I use 147's coated FP, with 3.0 gr of titegroup giving 130 PF and this is a VERY mild shooting load. I have shot 124's in practice, and do not really see any difference in performance, so I think it breaks down to ones own preference. I am sticking with the 147's

This is my exact load also with Blue Bullet 147's. I go with 3.4 of TG with jacketed rounds. With my Shadow and an optics setup, I have plenty of time for the follow up shot since there is virtually no rise on the dot. As others have pointed out, your grip style will determine how you are able to get back on target. I have large hands so it is no issue,  and with the weight of the CZ, recoil is really soft. My back up optic gun is a Glock 34, and I still prefer the 147. 

If you want to go with faster cycling, try the 135 grain round. I just ordered 2K of them to mess around with and test. They also work great for practice rounds with brass I will not use for competition such as Aquila, GFL, and A USA headstamp. I have found they load the lighter bullets without bulging the case beyond usability. 

On 5/2/2018 at 7:27 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

People with a very strong grip are ready to fire a 2nd shot quicker than people like me - 

So, I don't mind "waiting for the gun" since I'm not ready anyway.

If you have a very strong grip, you would probably prefer the 124's - for me 147's and possibly

165's are much nicer   :) 

Ah I was wondering.  I usually shoot 124 through mine. Always thought the 147 seemed to make the gun shoot "slow".

Most of my shooting buddies have Shadow 2 pistol and most of them shoot 145-147gr bullets with powerfactor just barely over 125.

It works great for them, but I do not know if they have changed rebound spring (for some I know they did, but not for all).

I tried out the Blue 135tc's today and they ran flawlessly and accurate. A very easy bullet to load and I had no issues passing the plunk test out to 1.1350".  That said I still prefer the feel of the 147's.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, RocketRyan said:

I'm a 135 fan, I find it to be a nice middle ground of snap and push while shooting Carry Optics. I might check out Alliant Sport Pistol to reduce the smoke I have with Titegroup though.

I use the same, 135 TC Blue Bullets with Alliant Sport Pistol. I went from 124 to 147 then to 135 which I found was a middle ground for me in regards to snap/sluggishness. I've had 147s tumble on me before for some reason,  probably my fault.

Just started reloading and am new to shooting and competitive shooting, so I’m slow regardless, having a slow cycling gun will probably be to my benefit, lol.  I started loading 147gr Campro RNFP with VV340 4.1gr, still need to chrono them, but I think the PF is going to come out around 139.  I had been shooting CCI Blazers 124gr, they are snappy.  Anybody have any loads using the VV330 and 147gr, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of information on that.

CZ Shadow 2

CZ Shadow 2 Kadet .22 conversion

CZ Shadow 2 Optic Ready

1 hour ago, MsDV8 said:

Just started reloading and am new to shooting and competitive shooting, so I’m slow regardless, having a slow cycling gun will probably be to my benefit, lol.  I started loading 147gr Campro RNFP with VV340 4.1gr, still need to chrono them, but I think the PF is going to come out around 139.  I had been shooting CCI Blazers 124gr, they are snappy.  Anybody have any loads using the VV330 and 147gr, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of information on that.

CZ Shadow 2

CZ Shadow 2 Kadet .22 conversion

CZ Shadow 2 Optic Ready

Everyone I know shooting Campro 147's with VV powder is using N320.  3.5 gn of N320 @ 1.110 gave me a steady 130-132 PF in a pair of Shadow 2's as well as my original Shadow.

Edited by Chili

12 hours ago, Chili said:

Everyone I know shooting Campro 147's with VV powder is using N320.  3.5 gn of N320 @ 1.110 gave me a steady 130-132 PF in a pair of Shadow 2's as well as my original Shadow.

Thanks Chili!  I bought the N320, N330 and N340 (2 pounds each) just to try and see which one I like best.   Will load up some of the N320 today and give that a try as well.  Unfortunately I can’t buy the VV powder locally which means shipping costs added to overall cost and I might end up switching to another brand in the long run, but for now I’m good for at least 3000 rounds, lol.

39 minutes ago, MsDV8 said:

Thanks Chili!  I bought the N320, N330 and N340 (2 pounds each) just to try and see which one I like best.   Will load up some of the N320 today and give that a try as well.  Unfortunately I can’t buy the VV powder locally which means shipping costs added to overall cost and I might end up switching to another brand in the long run, but for now I’m good for at least 3000 rounds, lol.

VVN320 is some awesome stuff. I'd use it exclusively if it weren't so expensive. It works great for suppressed loads - single based, fast burning powders are noticeably quieter.

1 hour ago, jmaples71 said:

VVN320 is some awesome stuff. I'd use it exclusively if it weren't so expensive. It works great for suppressed loads - single based, fast burning powders are noticeably quieter.

So I’m hearing!  Might bite the bullet and buy the bigger container of N320 and keep those bullets for competition use only.  

20 hours ago, Chili said:

Great recipe!  I seriously thought I was shooting my .22 Sig 1911.  It sure sounded like it as well.  Pfft, Pfft, Pftt.   Groupings a lot tighter with the N320 than with the N340, less felt recoil and gun cycled beautifully.  I think I found a winner.  Chrono’d at 948.   Thanks Chili!

Test results from reloading of Vihtavuori N320 powder using 3 various loads and 147gn Campro RNFP bullets, COL 1.110.  Stock, unmodified CZ Shadow 2.  I am a VERY novice shooter and my CZ (my first handgun), barely has 2000 rounds through it.  Started shooting the CZ in Feb 2018, Black Badge March 2018, not sure why this is relevant, except maybe to say that a CZ Shadow 2 will make anyone shoot like a rock star....ok, maybe that’s a stretch, but I have shot a variety of pistols when I first picked up a handgun in Nov 2017, Sig Sauer P226; Kimber 1911, Walther and Glock; Sig P220 but NOTHING has compared to the Shadow 2, in fact I bought the Shadow untried, the reviews pretty much sold me.  Bottom line, yet again, I’m a mediocre NOVICE shooter.  Ok, here goes.

All targets shot from 7 yards

9EAB664E-202E-4E03-9A39-A3D97E480D91.thumb.jpeg.825ac022bef217d4ab4098b43e88e504.jpeg

Weather conditions for those Type A - OCD shooters and reloaders....aren’t we all?

AEC9B528-8CC7-42DC-AD6A-97A73A827255.jpeg.3b96a87ca5699105fb1abea13bdb6579.jpeg

AC205C42-5DC8-4C68-877E-3F3CA756CE8F.jpeg.d2e3b62db433733d59f2772c3c6e83c5.jpeg

PF 126

7F205887-4775-400C-8E0B-67196CF68F95.jpeg.1d6137794976f125a3dd210522e6ba22.jpeg

331047DE-FAFB-4641-8DD8-8E1079BC95A1.jpeg.55a18d6f891c4848885cc0bafc2e8791.jpeg

PF 129

1FD7A9D6-328A-48C3-9B6F-7E3D7F4CE91C.jpeg.5dce5a51b3c3685fa40708f680d40023.jpeg

C7DC971F-FA61-4FE6-9123-DBD3A23C8CAA.jpeg.f8bfb81fc37d4fd75f923ba5767140e5.jpeg

PF 130

I didn’t find any appreciable difference between the three loads in terms of recoil.  3.2gn feels like a .22 and these have only slightly more recoil.  Found the accuracy, for me to be pretty uniform.  Will try similar experiment with the VV N330 and VV N340 next.

4 hours ago, Trinimon said:

Nice. Did you shoot these off a rest or just hand holding?

What app is that?

Thanks.

Thanks.  The chrono shot sequences were shot sitting at a table, with wrists supported on a rolled piece of carpet.  The first time I ever used the chronograph I was standing up and the first shot I took hit the rear sunscreen and split it in half down the middle.  Managed to repair it, but still...so i sit when chronographing.  The photos of the groupings were taken separately with the left over ammo from the chronoing loads. 7 yards away, standing, two handed.  The app I used for the chrono is the Caldwell chronograph app.  

Edited by MsDV8

How slow can it possibly be when the majority of pros use 147 grain. 

The personal preference issue Is  understandable , But any properly tuned gun with any load should be locked up and ready to fire the second shot before the site returns to the target. 

Or am I misunderstanding the term slow ?

1 hour ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

The personal preference issue Is  understandable , But any properly tuned gun with any load should be locked up and ready to fire the second shot before the site returns to the target. 

I agree, show me objective data, versus a subjective feeling.

I heard someone at a match this weekend say, "Pros shoot 124, Joes shoot 147" in a serious, take it as fact manner. (Which I disagree with)

Edited by rowdyb

Lighter bullets with more powder do have a snappier feel. Though, I think people that say they wait on 147's are describing the feeling of slower push incorrectly.

To say that you're ready to pull the trigger but can't because the gun is still cycling is highly doubtful. At least to me. Now, maybe if someone doesn't have the correct grip, I could see that causing issues with how the gun returns back.  

Saying that I do like 124's in most 9mm situations. But it's not because I have to wait on 147's. 

Several “pros” have stated on a podcast they shoot 124’s but generally like the softness of 147’s. It’s a $$ decision since they shoot 20-40k per year.

The slowness of 147’s is perception. On a 7 digits right of the decimal timer, the time-to-battery is different but so slight it makes no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk