Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 owners do you shoot 147 during competitions?

kmanick

I am not rolling my own ammo yet (the Mrs. is busting my chops about it)

so my buddy rolls his own and I occasionally shoot his.

I usually  just used S&B 124gr off the shelve. I go back and forth between that and Aguila 124 for plinking.

American Eagle 147 for match use.

I received a box from JJRAmmo.com today and went to the range and tried them.

147 Delta precision premium per JJR -  "chrono'd perfectly at about 890 fps out of my CZ for a 130 PF."

A bit more $$ than off the shelve 9mm (especially through something like Target Sports)

but man....it was almost like shooting .22LR.  Through a gun as heavy as a Shadow 2 is 147 really necessary?

will a lighter load 124 feel this soft as well? or is this the way to go? (it sure seems like it but I have limited experience with "match ammo".

through my M&P 9L the difference in "kick" or lack of was tremendous.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, kmanick said:

Through a gun as heavy as a Shadow 2 is 147 really necessary?

will a lighter load 124 feel this soft as well? 

Depending on your current ability and grip strength (ability to

control muzzle flip), you might actually feel the 147 is "too slow"

for you.

Like you're "waiting for the gun" - you're ready to take the shot

before the gun is ready to shoot (think 0.16 sec splits).

It's personal - some prefer 124's and some prefer 147's   :) 

Shadow 2 and shooting 147 RN S&S Casting coated over 3.1gr N320. I like it as it is so mild in the recoil department. 

I don’t care for the “snap” when shooting lighter bullets. For “snap”, I shoot my open gun.

It comes down to personal preference, so shoot what feels good to you.

7 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

Shadow 2 and shooting 147 RN S&S Casting coated over 3.1gr N320. I like it as it is so mild in the recoil department. 

I don’t care for the “snap” when shooting lighter bullets. For “snap”, I shoot my open gun.

It comes down to personal preference, so shoot what feels good to you.

same here I can't stand shooting 115 "off the shelf" rounds

These 147's felt really good. I tend to shoot the S&B 124 the most (when just Practicing) and those feel 

considerably hotter than this JJRAmmo round I received today.

I alos just found this

Delta Precision Point is selling their own rounds now as well as just bullet heads?

Delta Precision

anyone have any experience with these (a bit cheaper than the JJRAmmo)

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Depending on your current ability and grip strength (ability to

control muzzle flip), you might actually feel the 147 is "too slow"

for you.

Like you're "waiting for the gun" - you're ready to take the shot

before the gun is ready to shoot (think 0.16 sec splits).

It's personal - some prefer 124's and some prefer 147's   :) 

Does the feeling of waiting for the slide to cycle mean your grip is too weak or pretty strong?

I shoot 124gr.  Tried 147s, 135s, 115s, coated, plated, yadda-yadda-yadda... it doesn't really matter.  Go with whatever you like, shoots well, is available, & fits your budget.   

Edited by uewpew

I shoot strictly 147s out of my SP-01 Shadows both in CO and Production. When I had an S2 It seemed to like the 124s a little better. With more weight, the snappier 124s didn’t seem to effect it much and the gun seemed to run a tad faster. Of course recoil spring tuning is necessary for all of the above.

....people using the S2 with a red dot in Carry Optics/Production Optics ..........do you like the snappier 124 gr and does it help get the red dot back quicker for follow up shots , or does the 147 tame the recoil making the dot not react as vibrantly as using 124 gr for faster follow up shots  ?

Edited by race1911

I shoot 147's JHP's for a match load but load them to like 139 pf.

Slide cycles a bit faster, seem to knock down steel pretty well, and I am never ever worried about making PF at a match. 

10 hours ago, RexKramer said:

Does the feeling of waiting for the slide to cycle mean your grip is too weak or pretty strong?

People with a very strong grip are ready to fire a 2nd shot quicker than people like me - 

So, I don't mind "waiting for the gun" since I'm not ready anyway.

If you have a very strong grip, you would probably prefer the 124's - for me 147's and possibly

165's are much nicer   :) 

I shoot a Shadow in Production Optics, and for that I use 147's coated FP, with 3.0 gr of titegroup giving 130 PF and this is a VERY mild shooting load. I have shot 124's in practice, and do not really see any difference in performance, so I think it breaks down to ones own preference. I am sticking with the 147's

Edited by abb1

I tested coated 125's and plated 147's in my new S2 (11lb RS) and prefer the heavier bullet though they did seem a little sluggish.  I'm thinking something in the middle might be perfect so I ordered a BB 135TC sample pack.

I'm a 135 fan, I find it to be a nice middle ground of snap and push while shooting Carry Optics. I might check out Alliant Sport Pistol to reduce the smoke I have with Titegroup though.

From a reloading QC standpoint, I find 124 and 135 more forgiving of high web mixed brass. I went away from 147 because I get less cartridges that fail to chamber check with random mixed range brass.

I have to say I have never try 147. For 1 gr less of powder compare to 124 gr bullet load, it may really make some difference in recoil.

I use 124 because I can use it for my 9 mm minor, major and 38 SC.

As other mentioned, it all come down to personal grip power. 

Most top guys I have a chance talk to shoots 124. And when I watch their video, the gun do not move at all.

Well, time for me to stop watch internet and get back to grip training, :-)

52 minutes ago, Magictalent said:

I use 124 because I can use it for my 9 mm minor, major and 38 SC.

I prefer to use different bullets for major and minor - easier to tell

them apart visually - don't want to mix them up    :) 

I was shooting 147 for 3 years. last year I switched to 124 after experimenting with both for a while. It is not just faster. The gun shoots flatter as well. That is why some Open shooters prefer 115.  Of course  the recoil spring is something to play with as well. There is a little bit more snap which is okay. Currently it is 10# recoil spring and 124gr. I really notice that I am faster with this combination on timer. 

Edited by cheby