Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jdk62738super

Empty case with primer only

Working on my 929 trigger pull, Had it set at 7lb so I loaded up 8 empty cases put them in a moonclip, put it in the cylinder and pulled the trigger.Primer goes bang go to pull trigger the second time cylinder locks up.Get the cylinder open find out the primer backed out of the primer pocket.. Is this common with empty cases and primer only.

Thanks for your comments

John

This is very common.  Without powder and a bullet you aren't building chamber pressure.  Chamber pressure is neccessary to push the brass casing against the recoil shield and keep the primer flush.  Otherwise primers will flow backward and lock up your gun.  

I've found that setting a gun up like this, primers only, the gun will ignite primers much lower than actual ammunition. No idea how this is possible, but I have a gun that "runs" primer only ammo in the low 3lb range but is mid 4s with live ammo.

It may have something to do with why you're experiencing. If you set your gun up to run like this, be sure to share your findings when you go to live ammunition. 

I have found the best way to "Test fire a gun with primers only is to hold the gun Muzzle up and test fire, this way you are striking the primer and the case has to move forward a few thousandths before the primer ignites requiring a heaver hammer strike than  pointing the gun down or horizontal. I put a towel over the muzzle to soften the noise and keep the ceiling clean, IF you are doing extensive test firing with primers only you can increase the diameter of the flash hole in the brass, this will reduce the primer set back on an unloaded cartridge. Be sure to mark the cases and do not use them for loaded ammo, I drill a hole in the side of the case as a reminder. IF you do not want to waste cases a squib rod can be used to re-seat the fired primer, the gun will then function normally until you fire the next primer.

Lots of good info here. Now where did I put my "like" button??

I had issues test firing primer only with the .035 moon clips. The .040 worked a lot better.

I could get it to 6 lbs with primer only ignition, but had to bump it to 7 lbs to get reliable ignition with live ammo.

4 minutes ago, shoots100 said:

I had issues test firing primer only with the .035 moon clips. The .040 worked a lot better.

I could get it to 6 lbs with primer only ignition, but had to bump it to 7 lbs to get reliable ignition with live ammo.

Sounds about right. I had the same problem. Now I only use loaded ammo to function test and tweak at the range. Time consuming but it works right the first time.

I drill out the flash hole to near diameter of primer. Not had any issues after doing it.

To anyone who drills out the primer flash hole - make sure you don't load these cases for live ammo, the pressures will be higher than normal.

Edited by Toolguy

20 hours ago, Toolguy said:

To anyone who drills out the primer flash hole - make sure you don't load these cases for live ammo, the pressures will be higher than normal.

I use CCI aluminum cases and a 7/64 drill bit for my rubber bullets. works like a charm and no way to confuse the two. Also use aluminum for dummies, and no primers.

But like MWP said, you can get actions stupid light with primers only and have live ammo not go off. No real point in doing it, unless it's for something other than trigger pull weight.