Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shockbottle Hundo

HalRex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say it was the best purchase I've ever made because I got mine off the prize table. OTOH may not be the most expensive item I've gotten off the prize table, but it is the most useful item I've gotten. Thanks to it I case gauge every round I load, as it only takes an extra 30 seconds or so per a hundred rounds to box them up. I also have the polymer flip tray, I used to use another Dillon box, but those are a little tight and there are is sticking.

2 hours ago, PPGMD said:

I can't say it was the best purchase I've ever made because I got mine off the prize table. OTOH may not be the most expensive item I've gotten off the prize table, but it is the most useful item I've gotten. Thanks to it I case gauge every round I load, as it only takes an extra 30 seconds or so per a hundred rounds to box them up. I also have the polymer flip tray, I used to use another Dillon box, but those are a little tight and there are is sticking.

Pro tip:

Buy the Berry’s boxes instead. The 9mm one has each hole a few thosandths larger which is a huge help, yet it plays nice with the hundo.

But more importantly? It has an acual pin-style hinge! The lid swings open and stays flat on the table. It isn’t trying to curl back shut on your hand the entire time it’s open.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Pro tip:

Buy the Berry’s boxes instead. The 9mm one has each hole a few thosandths larger which is a huge help, yet it plays nice with the hundo.

But more importantly? It has an acual pin-style hinge! The lid swings open and stays flat on the table. It isn’t trying to curl back shut on your hand the entire time it’s open.

Those look nice I have MTM boxes with a similar hinge, but the Dillon boxes are half the price at quantity.

2 hours ago, PPGMD said:

Those look nice I have MTM boxes with a similar hinge, but the Dillon boxes are half the price at quantity.

The Berry box plastic is more brittle and I had a couple of them break only after a couple of uses. MTM is much more durable box. 

14 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

The Berry box plastic is more brittle and I had a couple of them break only after a couple of uses. MTM is much more durable box. 

I agree. I drop a Berry and it shattered...then again, I dropped an MTM and it shattered as well. The best boxes I have found are the Frankford Arsenal and Dillon boxes

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

I agree. I drop a Berry and it shattered...then again, I dropped an MTM and it shattered as well. The best boxes I have found are the Frankford Arsenal and Dillon boxes

I haven't broken any of the pin hinge ones, but I noticed that with some of my older MTM boxes. I think it is because they are transparent, Magpul has said that transparent plastic isn't as strong as opaque plastic. And the MTM that have survived has opaque plastic on the bottom.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@HoMiE intersting. All of mine are probably 4 years old. What are you doing to them? ;) 

All I did was throw it in my range bag and they broke when another ammo box hit. 

10 hours ago, Talon75 said:

Link to the Armanov setup, looks like a good deal consider the flipper case is included, and 10 day shipping.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/100rnd-9mm-Reloading-case-gauge-tool-box-with-flip-cover-for-IPSC-Aluminum-/253238506826?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

I made an offer of $95 and it got accepted, so $107 shipped to Canada.

• 1 month later...

Love my shockbottle but for as much as it costs, Im kinda surprised it only checks headspace and doesnt match the  OAL 1.169" saami specs like a normal case gauge would. It gets annoying that if left flat on top of the table the rounds will stay pushed above the top until you suspend it in the air. 

2 hours ago, PhillySoldier said:

Love my shockbottle but for as much as it costs, Im kinda surprised it only checks headspace and doesnt match the  OAL 1.169" saami specs like a normal case gauge would. It gets annoying that if left flat on top of the table the rounds will stay pushed above the top until you suspend it in the air. 

I prefer it like it is since it will show me anything too short. Since I load 9MAJOR a short round is bad news.

31 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I prefer it like it is since it will show me anything too short. Since I load 9MAJOR a short round is bad news.

No case gauge will check the OAL of the round because, well, it's a case gauge, not a completed round gauge. I just stack mine on top of a ammo box so the rounds drop all the way to the head. I still check OAL with a caliper every so often.

I check for case splits and put the rounds in the Hundo as I check them...  When the Hundo is filled, I pick it up and see if the rounds all drop down flat in the gauge...  Then I sight along the gauge to check for flat primers...  Then I flip them into the box.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I check for case splits and put the rounds in the Hundo as I check them...  When the Hundo is filled, I pick it up and see if the rounds all drop down flat in the gauge...  Then I sight along the gauge to check for flat primers...  Then I flip them into the box.

Same and im usually doing some type of testing and color code the increments, so its easy to run a sharpie over the primers while they are in the gauge

• 2 years later...

is the 9mm version of this a little looser than the egw 7 round gauge?  i put rounds in there that stick (because of the bullet profile) but they plunk and work just fine in my actual guns (2011 and pcc).  to be clear, after sizing the casings themselves fit in the egw no problem.

it does seem they don't strictly case gauge as they do make a .40xl which they presumably wouldn't have to make if they were just measuring the actual casing and not the loaded round incl bullet?

• 3 months later...

Hey all, can anyone tell me how the Hundo compares to the Armanov version of the 100 round gauge, specifically for 9mm?

I never used one before, and not sure why I need one after 25 years, but it seems like just about everyone else is using one so why not me?

Thanks. 

I love the Hundo.   It's a little tighter than my Dillon case gauge (9mm).   It's a great QA check.   If a round fails to seat fully and freely, it goes in the practice box.   It allows me to easily check for high primers as well.   

Basically, if a round seats fully in the Hundo easily, it's good to go.  No worries. 

26 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Hey all, can anyone tell me how the Hundo compares to the Armanov version of the 100 round gauge, specifically for 9mm?

I never used one before, and not sure why I need one after 25 years, but it seems like just about everyone else is using one so why not me?

Thanks. 

I had both of them before and the Hundo is better made. I returned the Armanov to DAA and kept the Hundo. Like stated by other posters, it makes checking reloaded ammo quick and painless. 

35 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Thanks. 

I've got both, and now use the Armanov 100% of the time!  This combo speeds up checks for high primers, OAL checks, then easily dumps into my ammo boxes.

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/case-gauge-bundle-3-in-1

Highly recommended!

:)