Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone else think the Rts2 is a POS?

3gunDQ

I have sent mine back now twice now.  Currently it has carbon build up on the glass that seems to stick instantly and screw up the coating and the battery door is broken.  Im about ready to switch to a deltapoint pro

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "dirtier" powders (e.g., HS6, AA7) will cloud up any glass, although they only stick long-term on the RTS2 if you don't clean it regularly, and even then you can clean it fairly aggressively with alcohol,  Hoppe's, etc. and a stick cut at an angle (see other threads).  

As for the battery tray, gotta pry it gently, don't attack it, and it'll pop right out.  (I've had four RTS2s, and neither of these has been a problem.)

• 2 years later...
11 minutes ago, Killaox said:

Lmao. So he says vortex is the answer🤣🤣🤣! Now I know it's product bashing and ",vORTeX fOR lIFE" kind of thread

Nice first post on an old thread 😆. 

Edited by George16

Now that this thread is 'up and running' again... 😬

I bought a used RTS2 from a fellow shooter. It was on his STI DVC Open which he bought in November 2019. 

As it was already on the gun, he has no idea what 'version' this is. (no box or papers available)

Does anybody know how you can tell what version an RTS2 is? 

1 hour ago, WFargo said:

Now that this thread is 'up and running' again... 😬

I bought a used RTS2 from a fellow shooter. It was on his STI DVC Open which he bought in November 2019. 

As it was already on the gun, he has no idea what 'version' this is. (no box or papers available)

Does anybody know how you can tell what version an RTS2 is? 

Turn it on. Remove battery and reinstall. If dot is still on it’s at least a V4 and good to go.

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

ive hd no less than 6 RTS2s and they are all garbage.

i switched to the FTP alpha 3 and all the issues were resolved and ive been shooting it since. 

You are one unlucky person. My two V4’s are perfect for 3 years at least.

Thanks for that, Sarge!

I actually decided to also email C-more and got an answer back immediately. 

I just need to switch on the RTS2, keep it motionless for three minutes, it should then turn off. 

If I then pick it up, and it turns back on again, it's a V5. 

I know this thread may be a little old but one of the three RTS2 v4 sites finally gave out and the Romeo three Max came into play. I have a combined 25,000 rounds on the three max and couldn’t be happier with the transition. I’ll never go back to the C-More again.

I currently run the RTS2 on my Glock 34 Gen 5 for carry optics and it has worked great.  When I was shooting Open Division I ran the RTS2 on my Open gun and never had any issues.  I have read about the issues some people have had with the RTS2, but I have had great luck with them.

• 1 year later...

necroposting here (sorry), but there wasn't a ton of information on the issue i have had with my v5.  Googled lots of keywords and i saw failures, even bad battery trays on older versions, but no details on my issue described below.  Had the issue twice, so can't be totally isolated.

Bought one a few months ago and it was fine for a few days (slide mounted on a minor CO gun).  Noticed the dot started to disappear and reappear.  Looking at the sight, the battery door was sticking out a little bit on the muzzle end.

Upon removing the battery door, the little metal retaining clip was broken off on the one side.

Figured maybe (unlikely) i pressed the battery tray in crooked and bent the little tab inward, snapping it off.

I definitely do not recall it having any abnormal amount of pressure needed to get it in there.

Sent that sight to cmore directly, waiting for them to get back to me.

Fast forward a few weeks, i bought another one as a backup anyway.  Assumed the issue was a fluke.  Knowing of the battery door issue, i was ultra careful to insert the tray evenly and with as little pressure as possible.

Seemed to seat well.  So i took it to the range.  Went throguh a couple mags and lost the dot...

Damned if i didn't have the exact same issue.  Tray was popped out toward the front.  Got that one on amazon, so i was able to exchange it for a replacement.

PXL_20230116_150517010(2).jpg

PXL_20230116_150538348(2).jpg

On top of that, a shooting buddy of mine just got one (rts2b v5) for his g34mos.  Had a few successful range trips with it since.  We met up yesterday and after maybe 2 mags, his dot started to disappear and reappear.  His battery door wasn't dislodged frm what i was able to see, so once we figure the issue his had, i will add his details too.  

Amazing, between him and me, we had three failures on a total of 4 sights, in a whopping 2 months.  Going to stick it out and see what happens, but not super confidence inspiring  at this point.

Edited by nkresho

Just be super careful when inserting the tray.  I mean, i did with the second one i got, for sure, but the tabs seem a little fragile. 

I've never been one to hamfist something.  I used to install car stereos in my youth, so popping off plastic panels and clips without breaking them was sort of my forte.  Maybe it was just me?  Even if it was, there's a design flaw there if it lets the end user install the tray crooked.  

As far as the window size, the brightness, and the shake to wake, it's pretty awesome.  Holds zero and is easy to adjust windage and elevation too.  I still like the sight and am willing to give them another chance at this point.

It seems there must be something amiss with your technique. I get it, you are being careful and I’m not casting blame, but I have 3 RTS2’s and have changed batteries numerous times and never had a problem. Dot will flicker when battery is dying but otherwise they have been rock solid. 
 Of course they are on frame mounts. Maybe slide mounts are too much for them to handle?

I agree, I am definitely the common denominator.  Has to be something I'm doing wrong.  When the one at cmore comes back I'll need to revisit my technique. 

The design,  though, shouldn't be as fragile, I feel.  I was really careful too.

Not a lot of rounds on mine though,  less than a thousand over two months,  and right at 130pf, so I can't point the finger at battering just yet. 

update on my repair sutuation:

Sent my rts2b back to the mother ship for repairs on 1/30/2023.  Was delivered to them 2/1 (Wednesday).  They swapped the pcb and shipped it back to me 2/6 and i had it in my hands 2/9.

As far as customer service goes, I am quite happy with their responsiveness.

Dot is back on the pistol, and working perfectly so far.