Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 grip module vs. Spring Precision magwell

MustangMan

I'm looking to add a magwell to my P320 that I use for 3-gun. I am on the fence between sending my grip module to SP to be modified for their magwell, would be $110-120 depending on if I went for the ESP or Open magwell. My other option would be buying a full size X5 grip module, about $80.

Which route should I go?

7 hours ago, George16 said:

My suggestion would be for you to buy the X5 grip module and choose the size that fits your hands the best. You can choose either a small, medium or large grip module.

To my knowledge they still dont offer sizes for the x5 modules. The standard full size modules come in s/m/l but the x5 only comes in med. 

Yes, the X5 grip module with the mag well comes only in medium size. However, when I called Sig’s costumer service and asked about the X5 grip module without the magwell, the rep informed that it comes in those different sizes. I’m not sure if that was true since I haven’t bought a replacement X5 grip module without the magwell for my gun yet.

17 minutes ago, George16 said:

Yes, the X5 grip module with the mag well comes only in medium size. However, when I called Sig’s costumer service and asked about the X5 grip module without the magwell, the rep informed that it comes in those different sizes. I’m not sure if that was true since I haven’t bought a replacement X5 grip module without the magwell for my gun yet.

Sounds correct. Dont know why they arent selling it with the grip weight and magwell. Somewhat annoying. 

4 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

Sounds correct. Dont know why they arent selling it with the grip weight and magwell. Somewhat annoying. 

Yup, I agree. That’s one of the main reason I haven’t bought one. I tried removing the weight on my existing grip and it was a pain in the ass. I didn’t have enough patience to do it.

Well my hand fits the medium p320 grip module pretty well so I'd assume it would fit the medium x5 grip also.

Seems we have 1 recommendation for the x5 module, anybody think the Springer Precision route would be better or is the x5 the best option?

20 minutes ago, MustangMan said:

Well my hand fits the medium p320 grip module pretty well so I'd assume it would fit the medium x5 grip also.

Seems we have 1 recommendation for the x5 module, anybody think the Springer Precision route would be better or is the x5 the best option?

Would say it depends on your ergo preference. The standard and x5 feel very different and you may prefer one over the other. 

1 minute ago, Daemunx1 said:

Would say it depends on your ergo preference. The standard and x5 feel very different and you may prefer one over the other. 

Thanks, I think I'll see if any of the shops near me have an X5 in stock so I can get a feel for the grip, if I like it I'll likely go that route.

I've been looking around, once I get my hands on an X5 and if I like the grip I'll go that route. Cheapest I've found so far is QuanticoTactical so unless I find one cheaper I'll go with them.

Considering all the places I'm finding online that list the full X5 grip module (including magwell, grip weight, etc) are selling it for about $100 or a little less, and the SP ESP magwell (similar size/amount of material as the OEM X5 magwell) is $60 plus the $50 cost for them to install it on a grip (so $110 for the magwell and installation total), if you like the X-Series ergonomics you're actually getting more for less

Looks like I'll start calling gun shops and see if any have an X5 in stock, if not I may just order one and see how I like it and if I don't I'm sure it'll be easy to sell to someone else.

I wonder how long till someone makes a larger magwell for the x5 grip, it's bound to be in the works somewhere.

The large grip module is it wider or longer? By how much? My hand wrap mostly around the stock (med) X5 grip and would like to see if the large gave me more surface area on the grip. 

I ordered the x5 module + weight + magwell from Quantico 2 weeks again and did not receive the correct grip. They sent me one without the magwell and without the weight. They are still trying to sort it out with SIG. I'd call them first to make sure this has been corrected. I haven't received an update on my situation yet from them.

Edited by paperchasin

I own the X5 grip as well as the P320 grip with the SP magwell. There are pro and con's to both as well last I talked to SP they have no plans to make magwells for the X5 grip.

X5 grip

Ergo is a lot better than the P320 grip

Magwell has smaller opening than the SP

No bass magwell option for added weight

Can remove the magwell to shoot in other divisions

P320 grip with SP magwell

Larger opening

More than 1 magwell available

Not a simple bolt on part

For my hands the magwell rides so high on the grip that my pinkey and part of my palm ride on the magwell which I am not a fan of.

If you are very accurate with reloading then the larger SP magwell will not be a huge benefit to you. I have had the X5 grip and magwell for about 3 months and I have not installed the P320 grip yet but I still like the SP magwell.

I'm not sloppy with my reloads but I'm also not a pro, but I think the small magwell on the x5 should be beneficial and the large magwell on the SP only marginally more beneficial but would likely make me sloppy especially at my current skill level.