Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

That Blue Tanfo...

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine yesterday, a 9mm large frame. It fits my hands just perfect, I thought my Shadow2 was good but the Domina is like molded for my hands!

One thing I noticed was that my 29.4mm OAL major loads I use in my Shadow2 open gun wasn't even close to fit the chamber, with 8.0gn 3n38 under a 123gn FP bullet I can't load them shorter than that so I will have to borrow a chamber reamer and open it up a bit.

Oh well, I'll just have to shoot minor loads until then. 

E7D832E0-FA7C-41AB-AF72-ABF09E76FED1.jpe

@Johansson81 more photos man! That’s the first one we’ve seen in the wild.

And 29.4mm is 1.157” which definitely won’t chamber in a Tanfo of any flavor. Whether it’s Production or Open... pretty much any Tanfo needs a date with a reamer. Mine gets a lot of use for my local CZ and Tanfo guys.

I like loading long so much I bought a carbide one that would cut my Walther’s hardened barrels, and have done a few Gen5 Glocks and M&Ps. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'll take some more pics of the gun for you, the blue finish looks much better IRL than I thought it would. 

Sure I could find a bullet and powder combo that makes major without reaming, but since I like 3n38 (plus it is found locally) I'll need to ream it.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

more photos man! That’s the first one we’ve seen in the wild. 

I think he is in Europe. They have been shooting them for (i think) well over a year.

Not sure if EAA is just not wanting to be importing them, or if they are sitting on a pile of Gold Team's. But we for sure haven't seen any state side!  sadly.

A few more pics then.

72FF0BC9-23DD-4582-94A5-795A8C72E3B4.jpe

A3139746-9766-4A6A-8AC7-591E9516F4FC.jpe

97BE411F-8FBB-4028-A26C-001ABE1A8B13.jpe

BAC45529-0D91-4E00-B436-C04AC4048574.jpe

I can highly recommend Guga Ribas speed holster and mag holders, they are awesome! The tiny wear mark next to the safety was there when I got it, might have been something against it in the box during the shipping from the dealer. The coating feels very good so it is not a manufacture flaw.

A11936AA-D15E-4384-ACBA-36E7FA50F2EC.jpe

Taking a closer look at the "wear mark" it looks a bit too geometric to be a scratch, a circle with a crossed out square below it. Perhaps they laser mark the slides for some strange reason? Doesen´t really matter to me since this is a race gun and will look like one after a couple of seasons. :)

Can you paint the chrome? Sounds like a terrible idea in my opinion.

tanfo makes a good running gun but the cerakoted guns are a joke, they rust like a 2006 mazda 3.

never had that issue with the chrome, and I even got it wet, are u sure it is chromed????? i have never seen chrome rusting

4 hours ago, Avenida said:

Can you paint the chrome? Sounds like a terrible idea in my opinion.

tanfo makes a good running gun but the cerakoted guns are a joke, they rust like a 2006 mazda 3.

never had that issue with the chrome, and I even got it wet, are u sure it is chromed????? i have never seen chrome rusting

Which cerakoted gun you referring to? Is it the Xtreme line of guns?

Edited by R1valdez

On 12/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, R1valdez said:

Which cerakoted gun you referring to? Is it the Xtreme line of guns?

Yes all the extreme guns rust badly, must be the alloys they use for the frames and slides. It is kind of parhetic considering the price they aell for in canada.

1 hour ago, Avenida said:

Yes all the extreme guns rust badly, must be the alloys they use for the frames and slides. It is kind of parhetic considering the price they aell for in canada.

I have to ask, do you leave the gun in a pool of salt water after a range session or how do you make it rust?

Edited by Johansson81

These are not my guns, these are the extremes of people that shoot the things without any baby-ing.

typically rust is on the slide (rust specs) and around the grip area. I have seen more guns rusted than not.

this is cosmetic however but this issue does not exist in the chromes.

in other words, the extreme rust rather eaisly in my opinion but it is not a concern, just an observation.

One thing I have noticed though is that the blue coating isn´t very tough, I use a speed holster and after just a few weeks of dry practice the trigger guard looks like this. It is a race gun so I don´t care, but I thought I´d mention it.

The Domina has a very short chamber just like any other Tanfoglio. The problem with the Domina is that the barrel apparently has a very hard coating that a normal reamer can´t cope with, so a carbide reamer is probably the only option if you want to ream it. 29.5mm OAL with 123gr RN bullets is possible without reaming, but the 123gr FP I normally shoot can only be loaded to 28.0mm OAL which is insanely short. Especially since I will use VV 3n38 powder that almost fills the case to the rim at 8 grains.

E3B12A9D-8BE7-48AE-B1B9-C56E145F8354.jpe

I have 2 Xtreme LC's here in Canada. Both have been wet multiple times and have not had any rusting issues. I find the black coating very tough and both my guns show little wear. I think they describe the black coating as "ceramic" in the Xtreme manual.

Rusting issues could be salt from sweat.

I didn't fancy the curved trigger, so I spent an hour in the workshop straightening it out. Now it fits my hands much better.

81A1BAAF-F7F8-48B6-B058-00142BC92E86.jpe

At the moment I am trying to sort out a Major load for it, with LOS 123gr RN bullets I can load as long as 29.8mm OAL but I settled with 29.5mm and 7.9gr 3n38 for a starter.

I'll chrono it next week and see what PF I'll get out of it, the load is barely even  compressed so there is room for 0.2gr more if needed.

27 minutes ago, Johansson81 said:

I didn't fancy the curved trigger, so I spent an hour in the workshop straightening it out. Now it fits my hands much better.

81A1BAAF-F7F8-48B6-B058-00142BC92E86.jpe

At the moment I am trying to sort out a Major load for it, with LOS 123gr RN bullets I can load as long as 29.8mm OAL but I settled with 29.5mm and 7.9gr 3n38 for a starter.

I'll chrono it next week and see what PF I'll get out of it, the load is barely even  compressed so there is room for 0.2gr more if needed.

Nice job! Some people (like me) have to buy the Xtreme trigger to get this result. Let us know how the load did work!