Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Arms 2011 grip safety issue

Bullett

I recently purchased a 2011 off the forums here and I’m having an issue with the grip safety. Frankly, it doesn’t work. I can pull the trigger when my hand is not on the grip. When the hammer drops the grip safety pops out of the grip. Any ideas how to fix this? 

I’m new to the forum and I’m working on uploading a pic. Thanks

The grip safety is most certainly been deactivated for playing USPSA. Looks like the pin is missing that holds it to the MSH.? There should be a hole drilled or milled on the bottom of the safety that coincides with a pin sticking up from the MSH.

Edited by Sarge

He said it did. It pops back in no problem. I reached out to Bobby and just heard back as well. Said the grip is defective. Is this something I can just change out or does a new grip needed to be fitted?

3 minutes ago, Bullett said:

Apologize for the ignorance, but what does MSH mean? I’m not new to firearms, but I’m new to open guns and USPSA

MSH = Main Spring Housing

It's the piece below the grip safety that houses/contains the main spring.

Lots of advice here...  Unfortunately the seller sold it with a known problem...

It might be in your best interest to send it back to CK to be repaired...  Send Matt Cheely an email and ask him what the procedure would be...  It might be as simple as a missing pin that locks the grip safety to the MSH...  It might be that the grip has been worn or modified somehow and needs to be replaced...

If you end up needing to change the grip itself, it's a fairly detailed process...  Not too hard, but somewhat difficult if you aren't familiar with 1911's...  You might want to buy Dave Dawson's 19/2011 Assemblt/Disassembly DVD...  It's pretty good...

20 minutes ago, 36873687 said:

If u want it active I’d say u need a new leaf spring. $7.00

The leaf spring is probably fine... 

The grip safety was probably pinned (and maybe the pin came out) or the arm that stops the trigger from pulling was modified or ground off...  If either of those is the case, and the new owner wants the grip safety to work again, he'll need to get a new grip safety.

However, the USPSA rules say that the "Main" safety needs to be functional...  The main safety on a 19/2011 is the thumb safety...  Many/most people remove the grip safety...  That's not the problem...  It falling out is the problem.

1 minute ago, Bullett said:

If I hold my hand behind the safety while pulling the trigger it functions properly. Should the plastic grip cover these two tabs at the bottom of the safety?

Yes...  That's what keeps it from coming out...

You could just wrap some black tape around it to keep it from coming out...  Some SingleStack shooters do that...

2 minutes ago, Bullett said:

If I hold my hand behind the safety while pulling the trigger it functions properly. Should the plastic grip cover these two tabs at the bottom of the safety?

8D43490D-FA35-4260-885A-80B78A562584.jpeg

Yes is should.  Watch some Youtube on how to do a complete 2011 disassembly/assembly and you should be able to get it put back together correctly (assuming it's just assembled incorrectly).

It looks like the MSH is down too low and lets the grip safety pop out...  Maybe someone ground on the top of the main spring housing...  It looks kind of dinged up in your picture...  It looks like someone ground on the to top of the MSH and then put some king of goop on top of it...  You might need to replace the main spring housing...  or just wrap some tape around it and shoot it for a while...

If you're going to shoot a 2011 competitively, you're going to have to learn how to disassemble and reassemble it sometime...  It's just unfortunate that this issue surfaced so soon with your new gun.

What is your location??  I am sure that someone at your local club could take a quick look and guide you thru the best way to correct it.  It looks like the stock MSH is in place and not fit correctly.  Really,. An easy fix for someone who has experience with 2011's...  My guess,. A new MSH and your in business.  

Here are a couple pics of what a new MSH looks like in that area..

Oh,. And welcome to the forum!!!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by NoSteel

Now that I can see the pictures better I do see a large gap between the grip and frame.  That could be the issue since it will allow the mainspring housing to pull away from the bottom of the grip safety where it should retain it.  Grip to frame connection is always a heavy hitter for many problems.