Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended shooting classes

HickLife

I didn't know whether to put this in the training techniques or the resources or here, so if it needs to be moved mods go ahead. 

So the question is- What training classes do yall recommend taking? As a competitor? For selfdefense or tactics? What classes do you not recommend taking (no bashing just say if it wasn't helpful or if dangerous)? I'll try and update this post with the recommended ones so that people don't have to hunt through the whole thread to find them.

I want to try and make this a sticky thread if we can get enough input. As I stated in my introduction thread I am new to the competition would but not to shooting and am looking to broaden my horizons on selfdefense (primarily) and with competition. My whole reason to get into competition shooting is to just be a better shooter all around. Thanks guys

Competition-

Selfdefense/Tactics-

Not recommended-

I've taken three courses with very "famous" masters, none of whom have ever

offered any suggestions re:  my grip    :(

One of those courses consisted of 60% Dot Torture    :(

Well known names in the field.

I can't recommend any,  yet, since I wasn't happy with the three

that I tried.

If you go to a course that involves firing 1,000 rounds/day - bring

bandaids.   Unless your gun is Very Smooth, you're going to end up

with bleeding hands.

Make sure they send you away with a Plan of Action - what should

you do to follow up on what you've learned - no one offered that,

either.

YES, I should have asked, in retrospect.  Didn't know enough to ask

at the time (these were many years ago).    

That's the reason I pass it along, free of charge   :) 

Good luck with it.

Let us know how you made out.

Maybe they thought you were just that good?

Kidding aside thanks for the input, it helps to know what to look for in a class also. My only experience so far is from the Navy expeditionary combat school, it was a great school with toooons of trigger time. It was essentially 3 weeks of non stop shooting; pistol, rifle, and then combining both of them. I also took the LTC course here in Texas but that doesn't teach you to shoot or tactics (it's not meant to) just the laws about carrying. The whole point of me starting this thread was so we can try and compile a list of classes, I've seen a few that say "I took so and so's class and it was good" but not a list that says "here are good classes and what they were like".

I have a few I want to take right now but they are either far away, booked up, expensive or all three lol. 

I took a 3 day class with D.R Middlebrook many years ago,, was info overload, as I had to unlearn defaulting to weaver,,  Barbara Middlebrook took over class at one time and things actually clicked a bit better. Same material, just different  presentation.
I went back a couple years later and took the 5 day. Got way more out of it, as I was already part way there.  Only issue I had was DR allowed one of the students to never shut up on his war stories wasted lots of time.. Back then I was nice,,, now ? Not so much woulda told him to STFU he's wasting my time and money,  I want to hear someone that can shoot, not from someone that cant. 

• 2 months later...

For those in the greater Portland, Oregon area, I can recommend Red Frog Team classes (now offered at Tri County Gun Club). Lead instructor Garrick is a retired Navy SEAL, former BUDS instructor. You can know that the best practices he teaches are the real deal. He seems to really enjoy teaching, is a great communicator, and clearly has been well-trained by the Navy to teach and train.

For self-defence I recommend Chris Fry (MDTStraining). His classes are multifaceted, not limited to shooting. There's quite a bit of knowledge you may need both before and after pressing the trigger. He's not only teaching how to shoot, but also how to avoid having to shoot.

For competition I recommend Elias Frangoulis (Shooting for Glory). In the first few minutes he pointed out problems with my grip and stance I was certain I did not have. In hindsight they are obvious, but they sure weren't obvious to me before. Some of the stuff he teaches is aimed at the higher level competitors so probably went over my head, but even that one little bit about the grip is worth it.

• 7 months later...
On 7/20/2018 at 1:28 PM, malobukov said:

For self-defence I recommend Chris Fry (MDTStraining). His classes are multifaceted, not limited to shooting. There's quite a bit of knowledge you may need both before and after pressing the trigger. He's not only teaching how to shoot, but also how to avoid having to shoot.

For competition I recommend Elias Frangoulis (Shooting for Glory). In the first few minutes he pointed out problems with my grip and stance I was certain I did not have. In hindsight they are obvious, but they sure weren't obvious to me before. Some of the stuff he teaches is aimed at the higher level competitors so probably went over my head, but even that one little bit about the grip is worth it.

Old post but I have a opportunity to train withElias Frangoulis. I've been working hard to compete in USPSA and IDPA this spring but I'm defintely a rookie. Would his class be helpful? I messaged his staff and told them how limited my experience is and they said it would be good for me. Just hoping to hear another opinion. 

thanks

6 hours ago, AxisT23 said:

I'm defintely a rookie. Would his class be helpful?

Yes, as long as you follow gun safety rules and don't scare people around you at the range. In the class that I attended there were several students who looked about C class. I did not ask about their classification, just listened to the cadence and looked at the hits, so it's ballpark. Not complete beginners, but people who would be at about 50% at the club match. Elias adjusted his one-on-one instruction accordingly. They shot the same drills, only slower, so no big deal. I also think they improved the most (it's easier to make progress when you have low-hanging fruits to pick).

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm for competition  one of the best classes I did was with Max Michael. Years ago I did classes for the military with Rob Lathem , Jerry barnhart , John Shaw and various other high level  instructors. By far i would say Max was one of the best i have seen as instructors . He knows how to read the student and make corrections  without overwhelming and can make the information easy to digest