Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polished barrel

Daemunx1

Had anyone tried polishing out one of the p320 barrels to a mirror finish? I like the look of the early SS finish barrels but dont want to buy some sort of aftermarket barrel just for cosmetics. I’ve read that some barrels can be soaked in vinegar or something similar then buffed out to a shine but dont know just how effecive it is or if it even works on sigs barrel finish. 

The DLC finish on the black barrels is there for a reason to resist corrosion and extend durability. WHY would you want to sacrifice that for the sake of looks ?

Look at it this way if you remove the finish of the barrel you will eventually end up buying a replacement anyway, IMHO just buy a new threaded coated barrel ($225) in the color of your choice and keep your original as a spare ?

The majority of examples I found removing the finish has little to no effect corrosion wise. Stainless still is still stainless steel. The original barrels were plain steel so unless they changed the steel used in the barrel there shouldnt be much use for the coating bar appearance. 

16 hours ago, bossgvr4 said:

The DLC finish on the black barrels is there for a reason to resist corrosion and extend durability. WHY would you want to sacrifice that for the sake of looks ?

Look at it this way if you remove the finish of the barrel you will eventually end up buying a replacement anyway, IMHO just buy a new threaded coated barrel ($225) in the color of your choice and keep your original as a spare ?

13 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

The majority of examples I found removing the finish has little to no effect corrosion wise. Stainless still is still stainless steel. The original barrels were plain steel so unless they changed the steel used in the barrel there shouldnt be much use for the coating bar appearance. 

So long as you take care of your stuff, clean and lube on occassion, corrosion will not be a problem unless you are Aquaman. 

My x5 short and smart barrel came so polished and smooth that you could use it as a mirror.  A proper polish job on the hood of the barrel as well as where it mates with the slide, and the rails can drastically improve the way the gun cycles.

There are some vids out there that show how the Mastershop does their polish work.

Edited by billthemarine2862