Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Decapping Issue

When decapping with Dillon decapping die I'm having issues with primers not being pushed out. Mainly Blazer brass that I see the issue with. This is a new machine with maybe 500 rounds through. Made sure pin was tight. Anyone else seen this issue?

Is your sizing die adjusted correctly?  Is the primer just being partially pushed out?  And the C-clip is still intact?  I no longer use my Dillon sizer, but in general it's possible for the pin to partially re-seat the primer on the upstroke if the primer sticks to the pin.  I don't recall this happening with the Dillon die.  BTW, I only load 9mm.

Is the Mighty Armory one a sizing die as well?  When I looked it appeared it was not.

Dillon swears their new sizing die has a spring in it that is supposed to prevent the primer from sticking on the pin.  I was also having this problem and chose to go with the Lee sizing/decapping die.  8600 rounds on it so far and no stuck primers.  The Dillon decapping pin must have a peculiar shape to it that in my experience tends to have CCI primers stick on it.

Edited by V2plus25

The bevel certainly helps, but I'm finding the tapered pins on the Lee U dies do just fine as well.  I don't see a need for the sprint in the Dillon die and I did have to replace the C-clip a few times before I switched to Lee (along with replacing my FCD with a conventional taper/crimp die.

I don't swage on my S1050 so I run a setup like this: Station one has a Dillon universal decapping die installed (the decapping rod and pin is much more robust than those found in resizing dies). Station two has a Redding competition sizing die installed without the decapping pin. 

It works very well this way, 

On 4/29/2018 at 1:00 PM, V2plus25 said:

Is the Mighty Armory one a sizing die as well?  When I looked it appeared it was not.

Dillon swears their new sizing die has a spring in it that is supposed to prevent the primer from sticking on the pin.  I was also having this problem and chose to go with the Lee sizing/decapping die.  8600 rounds on it so far and no stuck primers.  The Dillon decapping pin must have a peculiar shape to it that in my experience tends to have CCI primers stick on it.

Decapping only. Have to have a sizing die in station two

On 4/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, RickT said:

Is your sizing die adjusted correctly?  Is the primer just being partially pushed out?  And the C-clip is still intact?  I no longer use my Dillon sizer, but in general it's possible for the pin to partially re-seat the primer on the upstroke if the primer sticks to the pin.  I don't recall this happening with the Dillon die.  BTW, I only load 9mm.

I think the primer is sticking to the pin and getting pulled back into the pocket. I'm going to mess around with the pin tonight. Thank you!

The best way I found to bevel the pin is to put it in a drill press and use a file to bevel it then use some fine emery cloth or a stone to polish it smooth. 

Edited by Don_B

I "cured" that problem by using Lyman decapping pins.

Take a bent/broken Dillon decappng pin, then file off the pin, and use as a spacer.  The picture shows the order of assembly.

fGYP3Va.jpg

19 hours ago, Don_B said:

The best way I found to bevel the pin is to put it in a drill press and use a file to bevel it then use some fine emery cloth or a stone to polish it smooth. 

Well, so far so good. I ran 600 rds last night with no issues. Thanks for the help!