Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed Mag Release for my JP GMR-15

I just picked up my JP GMR-15 9mm today.  I need to get a left handed mag release for it.  I know it is different than a standard receiver.  I’d like to get the most reliable so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The only options I'm aware of are Gibbz and one other company's ambidextrous Glock lower - I do not know of anyone that makes an aftermarket Lefthanded mag release for the JP/QC10/similar Glock lowers. At all.

This is precisely why I am building a Colt magazine fed PCC: Because it uses the standard AR-15 magazine release. You can simply install a Troy or Norgon left-side magazine release - I'd be running a Glock mag fed gun with a JP or QC receiver set if it wasn't for this one crucial issue!

16 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The only options I'm aware of are Gibbz and one other company's ambidextrous Glock lower - I do not know of anyone that makes an aftermarket Lefthanded mag release for the JP/QC10/similar Glock lowers. At all.

This is precisely why I am building a Colt magazine fed PCC: Because it uses the standard AR-15 magazine release. You can simply install a Troy or Norgon left-side magazine release - I'd be running a Glock mag fed gun with a JP or QC receiver set if it wasn't for this one crucial issue!

Yeah that is what I was afraid of by looking at the design of the lower.  Looks like I finally get my dream gun and I’ll have to sell it and get something else.  Very depressing!

3 hours ago, Gdub said:

Yeah that is what I was afraid of by looking at the design of the lower.  Looks like I finally get my dream gun and I’ll have to sell it and get something else.  Very depressing!

Buy a Gibbz Or KE Arms lower with an ambi magazine catch and swap all of theJP components onto it, then sell the factory lower.

It’s not cheap but it gets you the gun that you want!

14 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Buy a Gibbz Or KE Arms lower with an ambi magazine catch and swap all of theJP components onto it, then sell the factory lower.

It’s not cheap but it gets you the gun that you want!

I’m going to sell the JP and start over.Those kind of deals never quite work out for me.

1 hour ago, Gdub said:

I’m going to sell the JP and start over.Those kind of deals never quite work out for me.

Ok. Know that your options are a $$$ Glock ambi lower, or any old colt SMG magazine lower with a traditional AR-15 ambi mag catch installed.

Colt’s SMG Magazine was specifically designed to adapt the AR platform to a 32 rd 9mm, so they placed the notch in the magazine body where the 5.56 magazine release is.

I like the ergos of the Troy ambi catch if you go that route - their lefthanded button is situated perfectly for the index finger tip. But it’s backordered 3 weeks everywhere right now - I know because I ordered one from Troy on Friday for my PCC build. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic
1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Ok. Know that your options are a $$$ Glock ambi lower, or any old colt SMG magazine lower with a traditional AR-15 ambi mag catch installed.

Colt’s SMG Magazine was specifically designed to adapt the AR platform to a 32 rd 9mm, so they placed the notch in the magazine body where the 5.56 magazine release is.

I like the ergos of the Troy ambi catch if you go that route - their lefthanded button is situated perfectly for the index finger tip. But it’s backordered 3 weeks everywhere right now - I know because I ordered one from Troy on Friday for my PCC build. ;) 

Thanks.  That’s great to know.  I’d love to see your finished PCC when you get it done.  Please shoot me a pic or two if you think about it.

2 minutes ago, Gdub said:

Thanks.  That’s great to know.  I’d love to see your finished PCC when you get it done.  Please shoot me a pic or two if you think about it.

I’ll post it here for sure. But I’m far from the only guy who has built one like this.

Get yourself the lower of your choice, a KE Arms SLT or Hiperfire trigger, another JP upper... and add the stock, pistol grip, and recoil system of your choice.

Simple recipe if you like your old JP.

I’ve seen at least one custom solution for a GMR, with an extended lever screwed into the stock button long enough to hit with your thumb.

But a Colt pattern lower is the right answer.  HVA ambi release is my favorite.