Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which one for USPSA Limited RIA Pro Match .40 or Tanfo Limited Custom?

I'm looking for a gun for limited and don't have a $2500 budget for a Brazos tuned Sti Edge so I have narrowed it down to these two and at their price point it leaves me extra money for some nice mags, ammo, and holster. So which one?

witness-limited-custom_l.png 51738_1911-A2_Pro-Ultra-Match-HC_FS_40SW

I have both and I would go with the RIA.  Having to deal with EAA for Tanfoglios in the US is enough of a problem for me to recommend RIA.  I had to send guns to both EAA and RIA for service and it's much better dealing with RIA.

Both guns are excellent values.  I see that RIA for $875 which is a great value for the included features.  

If you don't have small paws, consider a CZ Tactical Sport.  New they are a tad over $1000.  You can pick them up used for less than that. 

Great pistols out of the box, lots of parts available and in general very reliable platform.  Several good vendors to get the pistol serviced, if needed; CZ-USA, CZ Customs or Cajun.

cz-usa-cz-75-tactical-sport.png

I have shot CZ-style firearms that friends own and ran the RIA Pro Match for a season of USPSA, so I'll share my thoughts.

The RIA is nice for the money, but set your expectations properly.  It's not going to be custom-gun accurate, but it's plenty accurate for the sport and really heavy, so it soaks up the 40 S&W recoil easily.  Being based on the 1911, if you're familiar with that and appreciate everything that entails, then that is it's own benefit.  On the downside, the finish leaves a lot to be desired and it has some rough edges.  Would have been nice if it were deburred from the factory.  Mine was 100% reliable from the factory and would eat any ammo I fed it.

My experience with the CZ-style firearms hasn't been bad and they are great products.  The safety has never really worked as well for me, so that is one of my main complaints on the platform itself.  Aside from that, it seems that everyone I know who shoots one complains about getting parts and finding gunsmiths to service them.  I've been told there's like one place local that works on them here, and of course you can send it off for service if you don't mind rolling the dice on when you might get it back.  If you're one of the "home gunsmith" types, then that may not bother you. 

I figured I'd upgrade to an actual modular 2011 at some point, so I went with the RIA that I did some small upgrades on myself and was happy until I moved on.

The Edge is a good solid choice that are everywhere in the Limited division.  You definitely won't be the only one running one and therefore parts for it will be available at the range if you don't have a part.  I had one once and ran about 100 rounds through it and sold it.  I've been shooting so much in the Tanfo/CZ platforms that I didn't want to commit to making the switch.

Good luck with your new gun.