Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Last Kingdom

I thought this was a Netflix original and I thought it would be about medieval-era castles and sieges and such, but it's actually about when England was divided and under constant attack by the Danes/Vikings. it's a very good show. When I looked further into it, it seems that it's a BBC Show, so the Brits are getting to watch it before us (just like Peaky Blinders). 

There's two seasons on Netflix, and they don't drag it out, which I really like. 8 episodes per season, and if a plotpoint relies on nothing happening until spring, the next scene will show it transitioning from winter to spring. The fights are good, it seemed a bit cheesy at first because there were obvious parts where the early budget constraints were noticeable. Season 2 really takes it up another level. Hopefully season 3 will come soon... 

My wife and I like it also. If you are a reader I really recommend the books the show is based on by Bernard Cornwell. Here is the first one--https://www.amazon.com/Last-Kingdom-Saxon-Tales-Book-ebook/dp/B000FC2RR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524950523&sr=8-2&keywords=bernard+cornwell+saxon+chronicles

There are over ten in the series now. They are really good.

I'm looking forward to the next season.

Also, if you like this series then you would enjoy "The Vikings" probably. A lot more brutal action. This series is set in the time period just before "The Lost Kingdom". In fact King Alfred is just a boy in this series.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:26 PM, surgdog said:

My wife and I like it also. If you are a reader I really recommend the books the show is based on by Bernard Cornwell. Here is the first one--https://www.amazon.com/Last-Kingdom-Saxon-Tales-Book-ebook/dp/B000FC2RR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524950523&sr=8-2&keywords=bernard+cornwell+saxon+chronicles

There are over ten in the series now. They are really good.

I'm looking forward to the next season.

Also, if you like this series then you would enjoy "The Vikings" probably. A lot more brutal action. This series is set in the time period just before "The Lost Kingdom". In fact King Alfred is just a boy in this series.

Fascinating! I had heard people thought the Last Kingdom was an improvement over Vikings so I hadn't bothered with it but I may have to check that out. 

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

hows the dialog ? can you understand it or is it all heavy English accents ?

If you are asking about "The Vikings" it is fine. I have a hard time overall with TV voices but this series is ok. It is violent.

I really enjoy the vikings, was talking about , Last Kingdom,,
Never mind, made it about 15 minutes before I gave up,, bunch of undecipherable goblygook. So sick of this crap,, Some otherwise good shows on netflix with accents so heavy you cant under stand what they are saying

15 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I really enjoy the vikings, was talking about , Last Kingdom,,
Never mind, made it about 15 minutes before I gave up,, bunch of undecipherable goblygook. So sick of this crap,, Some otherwise good shows on netflix with accents so heavy you cant under stand what they are saying

I never had any trouble with the accents... I'm pretty sure it's got subtitles as well. God forbid it try to have British accents in a show about the creation of Britain. 

Edited by SwedishMoose

Well good for you, but who wants to sit and read subtitles ?  Seems alot of Netflix shows are like this. Never understood directors that seem to think hard to understand dialog is a good thing,  its either accents, or the characters whisper or mumble, or the sound leveling is messed up  Sound effects so high you turn volume down, but then characters talk u cant hear them.
I did go ahead and finish the episode, once they fast forwarded i time away from that kid, it wasnt so bad. Still had to do some rewinding in places.
Black mirror was disappointing as well, seemed like a show I would be all over, just simply missed too much of the dialog, so only watched a few episodes.

On 5/1/2018 at 3:38 PM, Joe4d said:

Well good for you, but who wants to sit and read subtitles ?  Seems alot of Netflix shows are like this. Never understood directors that seem to think hard to understand dialog is a good thing,  its either accents, or the characters whisper or mumble, or the sound leveling is messed up  Sound effects so high you turn volume down, but then characters talk u cant hear them.
I did go ahead and finish the episode, once they fast forwarded i time away from that kid, it wasnt so bad. Still had to do some rewinding in places.
Black mirror was disappointing as well, seemed like a show I would be all over, just simply missed too much of the dialog, so only watched a few episodes.

Haven't tried black mirror yet, despite a coworker pestering me to watch it. I just don't remember there being heavy accents in the early part. It gets better over time. Thanks for giving it a chance, though!