Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas, Akai, or CK


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Paulie said:

I bet all three are comparable in quality but maybe customer service & ownership could be a tie breaker. 

 

I just bought a Titan Limited gun in 40 (of course). Had no experience with the platform as a former glock guy. 

 

I PM’ed Adam a newby question (too embarrassing to write here) at 6:50 pm on a Friday evening the day I brought it home and Adam called me by 7pm to answer it. Not a shred of irritation or condescension in his voice. He just flat out wants to produce the best guns in he world and make his customers happy. They always seem to be pushing the envelope / chasing excellence.

 

I’ve never seen someone so devoted to his product and the shooting sports. He’s the real deal...shoots local matches during Vermont winters (11 degrees), posts proprietary knowledge on YouTube so we can tune mags, etc, sponsors lots of events....he’s competitive at Area matches as a Limited shooter.

 

PS- zero failures 600 rounds in. Runs like a scalded ape.

 

600 rounds? That's it? Those are rookie numbers. We gotta pump those up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tcazes said:

 

600 rounds? That's it? Those are rookie numbers. We gotta pump those up!

 

LOL. Haven’t had it long and going to range this weekend! 

 

Assume that was a Wolf of Wallstreet pull. Great movie, scene, meme and quote. I use it often! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paulie said:

 

LOL. Haven’t had it long and going to range this weekend! 

 

Assume that was a Wolf of Wallstreet pull. Great movie, scene, meme and quote. I use it often! 

 

Lol glad you caught it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, KrymSIX said:

Akai and Atlas are custom pistols. Even Atlas' semi custom see a custom gun level of attention. 

 

Akai and Atlas are in the same realm but do a number of things differently. Akai will do tungsten sleeved barrels, stroked Limited guns. 

 

Atlas doesn't stroke Limited guns and doesn't do tungsten sleeve barrels and seem to prefer the sight block set up as opposed to the "island" barrel set up. 

^^^This.

It keeps bringing me back to when my wife was looking at SUVs. Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 are basically identical. They have the same features and specs, but go about executing them Very differently. At the end of the day it came down to personal preference. Akai seems to experiment more with different materials and internal work, while Atlas has a different rational it seems with a focus on timing/return to zero (and like Krym said they seem to prefer sight blocks over islands because of this). I really like the work both are doing and both responded to my under-educated questions. I ended up going with an Atlas Nemesis (which I hope to get next week), which was a 3mos turn around and Adam has given me a bunch of time on the phone and email hashing things out. If I had money to burn I could just as easily see buying an Akai to run side by side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moloch38 said:

^^^This.

It keeps bringing me back to when my wife was looking at SUVs. Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 are basically identical. They have the same features and specs, but go about executing them Very differently. At the end of the day it came down to personal preference. Akai seems to experiment more with different materials and internal work, while Atlas has a different rational it seems with a focus on timing/return to zero (and like Krym said they seem to prefer sight blocks over islands because of this). I really like the work both are doing and both responded to my under-educated questions. I ended up going with an Atlas Nemesis (which I hope to get next week), which was a 3mos turn around and Adam has given me a bunch of time on the phone and email hashing things out. If I had money to burn I could just as easily see buying an Akai to run side by side.

Awesome to hear!  Will definitely keep those 2 makers in mind for my sons limited gun.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Two letters SV

I thought about that but I have no experience with them at all. I always thought they where almost too custom. If that makes any sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TexasG said:

I thought about that but I have no experience with them at all. I always thought they where almost too custom. If that makes any sense.

SV are nice but just simply cost too much. The phrase” paying for a name” applies here. All decked out an Open SV costs over $7k. A well built gun that runs just as good can be had for half that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Moloch38 said:

^^^This.

It keeps bringing me back to when my wife was looking at SUVs. Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 are basically identical. They have the same features and specs, but go about executing them Very differently. At the end of the day it came down to personal preference. Akai seems to experiment more with different materials and internal work, while Atlas has a different rational it seems with a focus on timing/return to zero (and like Krym said they seem to prefer sight blocks over islands because of this). I really like the work both are doing and both responded to my under-educated questions. I ended up going with an Atlas Nemesis (which I hope to get next week), which was a 3mos turn around and Adam has given me a bunch of time on the phone and email hashing things out. If I had money to burn I could just as easily see buying an Akai to run side by side.

 

I would really appreciate some detailed photos of your nemesis when it shows up. I’m giving a lot of thought to buying one. I own an SVI and it’s beautiful but hell, I may need a backup gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

SV are nice but just simply cost too much. The phrase” paying for a name” applies here. All decked out an Open SV costs over $7k. A well built gun that runs just as good can be had for half that.

Ok, I'm genuinely curious.   I want an Open gun with an EVO grip, hard chrome finish, DT safeties, DPP optic and a CFD comp.  Who is building this for me for under 4K? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balakay said:

Ok, I'm genuinely curious.   I want an Open gun with an EVO grip, hard chrome finish, DT safeties, DPP optic and a CFD comp.  Who is building this for me for under 4K? 

Needs and wants. I get my guns chromed after they are broken in. But I don’t NEED AN expensive grip or a Delta point. My stippled grips,RTS2, Cheely comp runs like a top.

 Throw in on top of that, SV won’t chrome a gun and they won’t build a 9mm Makes it a no brainer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TexasG said:

I thought about that but I have no experience with them at all. I always thought they where almost too custom. If that makes any sense.

That’s why I went with them. Wanted a one of custom to my specs and details and color combos

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an akai and another on order. Like others have said all are nice. I have shot several semi to full custom guns. I chose the akai and it has been great. Like others have said shoot before you buy if you can. My vote would be for the akai. He also usually has some in stock if you call. I have never had him not respond quickly to any questions I have had.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sarge said:

SV are nice but just simply cost too much. The phrase” paying for a name” applies here. All decked out an Open SV costs over $7k. A well built gun that runs just as good can be had for half that.

^^^Very wise words here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sarge said:

SV are nice but just simply cost too much. The phrase” paying for a name” applies here. All decked out an Open SV costs over $7k. A well built gun that runs just as good can be had for half that.

 

True, you can get a well made and good running gun for a lot less.  But you're also paying for the quality of the parts.  And in the case of SV, all are manufactured in house with top quality materials and extremely close tolerances.  I've built guns using most of the available parts on the market, and they are not on par with the SV stuff.  Some are close, but not quite there.  Whether that's worth the additional cost and wait time is a personal decision.  My own high cap 2011 builds are all on PT frames with Caspian slides.  But I also have an SV 5.4 that sees a lot of use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 1:17 PM, Balakay said:

Ok, I'm genuinely curious.   I want an Open gun with an EVO grip, hard chrome finish, DT safeties, DPP optic and a CFD comp.  Who is building this for me for under 4K? 

 

Gary Natale at Gans Guns in PA

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2018 at 2:22 PM, KrymSIX said:

 

I bet all three are comparable in quality but maybe customer service & ownership could be a tie breaker. 

 

I just bought a Titan Limited gun in 40 (of course). Had no experience with the platform as a former glock guy. 

 

I PM’ed Adam a newby question (too embarrassing to write here) at 6:50 pm on a Friday evening the day I brought it home and Adam called me by 7pm to answer it. Not a shred of irritation or condescension in his voice. He just flat out wants to produce the best guns in he world and make his customers happy. They always seem to be pushing the envelope / chasing excellence.

 

I’ve never seen someone so devoted to his product and the shooting sports. He’s the real deal...shoots local matches during Vermont winters (11 degrees), posts proprietary knowledge on YouTube so we can tune mags, etc, sponsors lots of events....he’s competitive at Area matches as a Limited shooter.

 

 Agree with what PAULIE says. Full disclosure, I’m not very experienced with Limited guns. I own a used STI Edge HC that I bought locally. I liked the gun and ran it a bit in some local matches. Last New Year’s Eve (yes Sunday) I talked to Adam (he was at the shop) and bought

an Atlas Titan. 

See, when I first got my STI I watched all of the videos from Atlas on YouTube. They constantly say to call them up with any questions. I was having an issue with my STI (a gun that never crossed their bench) so I called Adam. He talked to me for 45 minutes. 

A month or two later I was able to hold and dryfire a Titan. Night and day from my STI.

I needed to get another bit of purchasing in before the end of 2017 so I messaged Adam on 12/30. He said to call him the next day: New Years Eve. We talked for about 90 minutes and he put the order through. 

I was warned it would possibly be longer than the normal 2 month turnaround due to some semi custom work on the titan. Sure enough, three months to the day I received my Titan. I won’t go into detail here, but believe me, it was better than I expected. Adam and the crew went way above and way beyond my expectations. I’ve played with it a bit and it runs flawlessly. 

 

I’m shooting Carry Optics this week at SC State. Then I will finally get to stretch its legs a bit since I’ll be shooting limited only to prepare for Area 8.

 

PS, I don’t know enough about Akai or CK to say anything about them.

 

 

Edited by Sdlrodeo
Had wrong Quote. Changed. I tried to change my post. Accidentally quoted your other quote that was quoted by someone else. Realized it but didn’t want to lose everything I wrote. Tried to copy and paste, yada yada.
Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 cents.  Unless your net worth is 7 figures (in which case you can buy one of each), try several different grips at a local match and figure out which one fits you the best.  In competition, I would bet how the gun fits your hand will be the best determiner as to how well you shoot it.  Purchase the one with the grip that works for you.  If you have normal size hands, this may not be too much of an issue, but I have big hands and some guns just flat out don't work for me very well regardless of the brand.  If you are new to this platform, I would lean towards the CK due to price.  Shoot it for a while and figure out what your likes and dislikes are....I changed things like sights, safeties, etc. a number of times on mine.  Then once you figure out what you like if you want to build a custom gun, go for it. 

I currently have an Akai and a CK and would own an Atlas if the opportunity presented itself.  Both the CK and Akai are very accurate and reliable.  No c/o about either of them.  Right now I mostly shoot the CK because it has a grip that fits my hand better, but I will eventually put the same grip on my Akai.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a CK and my son has an Akai.  After trying his Akai, I ordered one.  I'll be selling the CK soon.  There is nothing wrong with the CK; its a good gun.  But Akai is in another league.  The help Shay provides is awesome.  We're lucky because we shoot with several members of his team, so we can try different guns and options all the time.  The Akai family is a great community.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played with an Atlas and an Akai. I was impressed by both. When I get ready for another limited build I would not hesitate to get either. I have run a Lone Star for 6 seasons with 2 top ends and have been happy with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a CK limited gun from 2014 that runs well.

I recently bought a CK single stack in 40 that I needed to buy a Dawson mag catch and use only Berry's RN to get it to feed 100%.

Bobby K will answer messages if you need help with a CK.

I bought an Atlas Titan last spring and ran it all season. It is by far my nicest firearm. Excellent fit and finish, smooth operation, great grip (PT Evo), and a killer trigger.

I personally know and have shot local matches in NH with Adam. He always responds to questions and is helpful in making sure your gear (even other guns) will run as reliable as possible.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...