Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas, Akai, or CK

TexasG

I would like to get some input on these manufactures. I am trying to determine which one would be best for my needs. It would be a limited style gun and most likely 40S&W. It would be nice to get some feedback from anyone that has handled these. Thank you.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each brand has it's own group of fans and there is a ton of information on all of them on here.  Obviously, I'm a fan of CKARMS.  They are priced fairly, they are accurate and reliable.  They can also be purchased without a wait if you're not too picky.  Shooters Connection and Freedom Gunworks has various models in stock available for immediate delivery.

I have 2 CK Arms pistols. A Hardcore in 9mm I use for 3-Gun and a a Thunder in 40 S&W for USPSA Ltd. I bought both used but in fairly new condition. I have also handled but not shot a Atlas Titan. The CK’s are what I would call a semi custom pistol. Well built, good fit and very reliable. Excellent choice for middle of the pack competitors wanting a little more for their money than an out of the box STI. I did a little trigger work on them to get them where I want them. The Atlas gun was much more refined and customized. Smoother operation and already fully tuned and ready to rock. But it costs $1,000 plus more then a new CK and should be more tuned. If you can afford it, I would go with the Atlas but if yo need to save some money, CK will take you where you want to go. I have no experience with an Akai.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an Atlas Open gun and I will tell you it flat out runs. I have not had a single issue with it. I am planning on getting a Limited gun from them as well. While I have not owned either an Akai or a CK, at Area 6 out of 8 open shooters in my squad, I was the only Atlas and the only one who did not have gun issues. One thing I will say is call all three. Tell them what you are looking for and see what they have to say. While everyone builds a good gun, for me it's the customer service that helps make a company stand out. 

2 hours ago, Mikeski said:

I have an Atlas Open gun and I will tell you it flat out runs. I have not had a single issue with it. I am planning on getting a Limited gun from them as well. While I have not owned either an Akai or a CK, at Area 6 out of 8 open shooters in my squad, I was the only Atlas and the only one who did not have gun issues. One thing I will say is call all three. Tell them what you are looking for and see what they have to say. While everyone builds a good gun, for me it's the customer service that helps make a company stand out. 

Hows the fit and finish? I’m considering a nemesis

Most issues with any 2011 gun are magazine and ammo related.  Hell you can get an STI to run all day with tuned mags.  You can also make a 9k SV look like a POS with a bad mag.  At the end of the day I would be looking for a local builder with a good rep.  Someone you can easily ask questions of, get the gun to for changes or repairs if needed.  Everyone but SV is using the same parts, any decent builder can fit a 2011 to be more accurate then we are. 

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Been playing with 19/2011's for43 years.

Nicest shooting and looking pistols I've owned are Akai's

Others mentioned function fine usually but lack attention to detail. Imo!

Oh. So you’re the guy who owns an Akai gun that actually runs. I knew there had to be one somewhere, but the three I’ve been around in person had me wondering.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

It seems to me this is something of an apples to oranges comparison. 

Akai and Atlas are custom pistols. Even Atlas' semi custom see a custom gun level of attention. 

CK Arms are great, but seem to be more along the lines of somewhere between a tuned production gun and a custom. 

CK is probably the best "value" of the 3 options. 

Akai and Atlas are in the same realm but do a number of things differently. Akai will do tungsten sleeved barrels, stroked Limited guns. 

Atlas doesn't stroke Limited guns and doesn't do tungsten sleeve barrels and seem to prefer the sight block set up as opposed to the "island" barrel set up. 

None are really bad options. But what are you looking for? CK and Atlas both have immediately available options. Akai doesn't (unless you're buying a used one) 

It's really what are you trying to get out of it

5 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Most issues with any 2011 gun are magazine and ammo related.  Hell you can get an STI to run all day with tuned mags. 

+1

When everything is tuned, my TruBor (11 years old) runs like a sewing machine   :) 

Ran perfectly for two years in a row, until it need some new springs.    :cheers:

BTW, we now have MORE emoji's    :wub:

if you want a gun someone has 'touched,' also look at brazos and their hp edge.  they do a trigger job and go over it for reliability, plus some upgraded parts.  mine has been 100% no if's, and's or but's, with major power factor ammo, maybe one or two malfs when i've swapped out the spring and shoot .40 minor at steel matches.  based on how well this shoots, sure their custom guns are pretty nice also.

I have shot all of them in limited. I lucked into an akai and tried to break it. 80k rounds later, I can’t seem to make it hiccup. 

The reality is all are good. Different looks and different feels. Try and shoot them before you order. 

9 hours ago, Pfiddy said:

Hows the fit and finish? I’m considering a nemesis

It’s nice.  The gun is still tight. I bought this after running a DVC open for a year and it’s a night and day difference. It’s very clean and well built.  It looks great and flat out runs.  I’m also not one who needs any real bling for my gun. I like the clean and simple looks. 

I bet all three are comparable in quality but maybe customer service & ownership could be a tie breaker. 

I just bought a Titan Limited gun in 40 (of course). Had no experience with the platform as a former glock guy. 

I PM’ed Adam a newby question (too embarrassing to write here) at 6:50 pm on a Friday evening the day I brought it home and Adam called me by 7pm to answer it. Not a shred of irritation or condescension in his voice. He just flat out wants to produce the best guns in he world and make his customers happy. They always seem to be pushing the envelope / chasing excellence.

I’ve never seen someone so devoted to his product and the shooting sports. He’s the real deal...shoots local matches during Vermont winters (11 degrees), posts proprietary knowledge on YouTube so we can tune mags, etc, sponsors lots of events....he’s competitive at Area matches as a Limited shooter.

PS- zero failures 600 rounds in. Runs like a scalded ape.

Edited by Paulie