Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use/compete with an APX?

tenchu74

• 4 weeks later...

I recently picked up an APX. It seemed to fit my hands well.  I shoot a 92G and an Elite92 regularly in uspsa matches. During a few practice sessions, I tried running the APX. 

To me the APX is a fun shooter and has run flawlessly. Having said that, for me it's not even close to as fast as my 92s. Maybe with practice I could close the gap, but not without some serious practice. It's not a polymer gun thing either. I can run Glocks just as fast as my 92s. 

Hope this helps.

RRR

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one, and run it in IDPA and 3Gun. Works well for me with all kinds of ammo, ate dirt and mud and kept running, recoil is mild especially with the steel spring guide, and had excellent feel and ergonomics. Stock trigger is close to a P10-C or Walther PPQ.I picked one up when they had the special with a free holster and couple of extra magazines - it was kind of tough to argue against gun, 5 mags, and a holster for $500 OTD.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Anyone have more to add?  I have one,  was waiting for a CZ P10C a couple years back,  tried the APX and liked it.  Great ergos,  accurate as anything in its class, and has been flawless.  Trigger is not bad and can be made very good with a spring and some polishing.   Only gripe is the proprietary sight dovetails.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, GMP said:

Anyone have more to add?  I have one,  was waiting for a CZ P10C a couple years back,  tried the APX and liked it.  Great ergos,  accurate as anything in its class, and has been flawless.  Trigger is not bad and can be made very good with a spring and some polishing.   Only gripe is the proprietary sight dovetails.

Yes. I think this was Beretta's best new product launch to date. They had everything pretty much available on their web site when it came out, including fiber-optic sights and a baseplate to fit the rear sight dovetail to mount an RDO if one could not wait for the RDO models to be released. Proprietary dovetails, yes, but when Allegheny Gun Works turns the install around in less than a week for under 40 bucks I am not sure it's that big an issue. The only con to having all this when the product launched is that the other accessory makers had little incentive to get in on it, and obviously the proprietary dovetails stop one from using the other manufacturers.

As it is, I compete with the full size, and the compact is my EDC. My full size is almost at its second year of service anniversary, and has had zero problems, accuracy has been fine, and it shoots soft for a polymer framed gun. The compact has done courses, shot through car windows, smashed car windows, and rolled in glass, puddles, grass, dirt and brass, and kept going. 

At the beginning I bought the P10C and the APX, and ended up keeping the APX. I like the trigger on the P10C better I'll admit, but the grip, ergos, and feel of the APX work better for me.

25 minutes ago, homeyclaus said:

Yes. I think this was Beretta's best new product launch to date. They had everything pretty much available on their web site when it came out, including fiber-optic sights and a baseplate to fit the rear sight dovetail to mount an RDO if one could not wait for the RDO models to be released. Proprietary dovetails, yes, but when Allegheny Gun Works turns the install around in less than a week for under 40 bucks I am not sure it's that big an issue. The only con to having all this when the product launched is that the other accessory makers had little incentive to get in on it, and obviously the proprietary dovetails stop one from using the other manufacturers.

As it is, I compete with the full size, and the compact is my EDC. My full size is almost at its second year of service anniversary, and has had zero problems, accuracy has been fine, and it shoots soft for a polymer framed gun. The compact has done courses, shot through car windows, smashed car windows, and rolled in glass, puddles, grass, dirt and brass, and kept going. 

At the beginning I bought the P10C and the APX, and ended up keeping the APX. I like the trigger on the P10C better I'll admit, but the grip, ergos, and feel of the APX work better for me.

I have the adjustable sights, FO front.  I opened up the notch as I like more light, like on my two CZs.  My trigger is now pretty good.  The stryker hook surface, although coated, likely has tooling marks. Clean this up and the sear as well,  lighter spring.  15 lb recoil spring.  Very little pre travel and a short reset.    I also shaved down the trig safety so its perfectly flush with the trigger surface.   I may eventually put an optic on it for CO, we'll see.   One thing about mine is it does not seem to like 147 g bullets,  much better accuracy with 124s of the same brand and profile.

6 minutes ago, GMP said:

I have the adjustable sights, FO front.  I opened up the notch as I like more light, like on my two CZs.  My trigger is now pretty good.  The stryker hook surface, although coated, likely has tooling marks. Clean this up and the sear as well,  lighter spring.  15 lb recoil spring.  Very little pre travel and a short reset.    I also shaved down the trig safety so its perfectly flush with the trigger surface.   I may eventually put an optic on it for CO, we'll see.   One thing about mine is it does not seem to like 147 g bullets,  much better accuracy with 124s of the same brand and profile.

Mine have now had enough sand through them that striker engagement point has a mirror shine, and the trigger is smooth and crisp. I really have no complaints about it. I have always run 124 gr PD FMJs over 4.1 gr of Titegroup as default, it runs a-ok with those and is minute of a-zone and steel plate accurate. I might do a run with a slower powder to see, but IMHO fast powders is where it's at.

I tore both guns down and flushed out the factory lube and made sure everything was smooth and slick.

Funny, I came from a CZ derivative too, the AR-24. I shot it until it rattled like a shopping cart.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 12:11 AM, Ohvall said:

The new APX Target (long slide, 4.7" barrel, 5# trigger, adjustable sights, optics plate) looks interesting.  I am waiting to see how retail prices compare to the MSRP of $699.

I'm curious as well - looks like the best setup for competition.  Probably a bit behind the normal answers (G34, P320 X5, etc) but I like the APX grip texture and overall shooting action.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread but I didn’t want to start a new one for a similar question.   Does anyone have any updates on using the apx for competition?  I was thinking about using one for dabbling in carry optics. 

• 3 months later...