Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 1050 question

Enos, whats up... been a while.

I have a Super 1050... load on it enough to know its a great press.  With that press, I have the following quick swaps: 9mm, 38 super, 45acp, 223, 300blk. 

I also had a 550 for working up loads and quick changes on all those calibers plus a 357 swap.

After looking it over, it made no sense to keep it like this... so I traded the 550 and all parts straight for a RL1050 in 357.

I have yet to mess around with the RL, but I do know its from the late 90s.  The press is fine and doesnt look abused...  Here is my issue...  I didnt know the tool heads were a little different on the machines.  My question is as follows...

Do I set up the Super press for 45acp (and possibly 308 down the line) and use it to process 223/300blk brass and then set the RL for small primer and utilize it for the other calibers?

If I do this, I will need to get the parts to make the tool heads work on the RL

or

Do I sell the RL and buy a Super and then not give it a second thought...  I can potentially sell the RL and buy a used super for essentially the same price.

I have been told the RL is actually a better made machine, and many loaders like it for pistol calibers more than the Super.

Also... can you guys give me thoughts on what Dillons "refurb" deal is for 1050's?  I have always been under the impression that they will not rebuild the press, today I was told by several different people that if you send it, they will?  Not sure I buy it, but figured you all would know 100%.

Can you guys assist in addressing both the questions!

Thanks as always guys! (Just because I am not logged in/replying/etc doesnt mean I am not reading/lurking/viewing)

I thought the only differences in the tool heads was that the case feeder actuator and plunger rods are longer on the super, shorter on the RL...?

Takes an extra minute or 2 to change out...

Oh, forgot: I have an RL and a super.... personally, I LOVE having a large primer 1050 and a small primer 1050... mostly use the RL for pistol, but it's no big deal to convert the tool heads on the fly

Edited by rmantoo