Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911

GrayR

Hey everyone. I’m shooting a 9mm 1911 and I want a good steel challenge load. I don’t care about power factor I just want somethin that recoils lightish and makes a decent ring on the steel. I know that light and fast is the mantra for an open steel gun but where to people tend to lean on iron sight steel gun? I’m using factory and not doing bad I just feel like I may be able to get better. Thanks ahead for any info 

I'd start by looking at what folks are shooting for minor PF with either a powder, bullet or combination of both that you like.  They you can work down from there.  Don't know the setup of your gun, but 8 lb recoil spring and 19 lb. main spring will work with very soft loads (below minor).  Be prepared for a dirty gun of course.  For example we've run 3.7gr N320 behind various 115gr bullets, 3.6gr WSF behind 124gr Bayou and currently working around 3.x of Sport Pistol behind 115gr Acme.  I've gone as low as 3.4gr SP and while the gun will cycle I'm a bit concerned about group size, but up around 3.8 according to my less-than-stellar bench rest ability the group size is reasonable and it's still pretty soft.

Depends very much what you consider soft.  If you're a super senior and beyond you want something truly soft, but minor in a steel gun would feel plenty soft to a youngster.  And, regarding the "ring" it's all about your hears.  Plus, you'll get lots of folks suggesting that you trust your sights and not depending on the ring.

I appreciate the suggestions I’ll look into those some. I’m a youngster and the force of recoil doesn’t bother me. In fact some of my faster stage times were shooting a 45 acp out of a 1911. Maybe I need to try loading hitter and get more snap I don’t know I’m just finally sticking with this gun so I want to start experimenting is all. Thanks!

Most of the people I know using 9mm for Steel also shoot Production in USPSA.  So they just use their 147gr minor loads.  Personally, I'd go the other way and shoot 115gr factory with irons.  I'm building a 1911 Open gun specifically for Steel.  I plan to use 115gr HAPs.

I personally prefer a 105 to 120 gr Bayou with Tightgroup and WST for steel. I load a little hotter basically I want something that returns the front sight rather quickly instead of the slide lumbering back to battery. In the 105's I use 3.7 gr of WST at 1.065 OAL, and with the 120 tcg's  I use 3.6 gr of tightgroup at 1.030. 

thanks guys. The idea of wanting the slide going home a little sooner is what makes me think I may benefit from loading hotter. And again I shoot uspsa but I really don’t care how I do there it’s just for fun. I’d love a 1911 open gun for steel to see how good I am though!