Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wait for Romeo 1T or go with DPP

DocMedic

I've been sitting on my X-5 since they came out, still need to send it in to get the "upgrade" along with my Carry P320. One of the things I want to do is replace my current 8MOA Burris FF, and put on either a DPP or the new Romeo 1T 6MOA version. The only reason I haven't just bought a DPP outright is that I saw at SHOT that Sig is "coming out" with a Romeo1 with a shroud and rear sight much like the DPP.

What I really want to do is wait till the Romeo 1T becomes available for a conversion kit on a full size RX. But the question is, how long will that take.. I know 6MOA Romeo1's are available now, but what I want to know with people having experience with both, do you still prefer the 2.5 DPP over the new 6MOA version. Is it even worth waiting for the Romeo1T?  Reason for the conversion kit is to reproduce the M17 as best I can as it will be issue soon and I really don't want to pay sig 1k for a "replica" of the M17.

Edited by DocMedic

The shroud of the R1T will be designed to work in the optic cut of the M17/X-Five/X-Carry but NOT the standard RX. The cut in the slide is different. To mount the R1T to a standard fullsize slide you'd need to have the slide machined to clear the larger footprint of the R1T shroud.

If you really want what is effectively a M17 copy (to train with, I assume?) but don't care about it being exact down to every nut and bolt, just get a fullsize RX slide and a carry grip module. It won't have the shroud like the R1T, but it'll be as close as you're going to get without custom work, and at that point it'd probably be cheaper to shell out for the official civvie version of the M17 whenever it becomes available.

If you're trying to build an exacting clone of what will be the military-issue pistol with military-issue dot, unfortunately none of us yet knows which optic that will require because the Army hasn't yet procured one. It could end up being a Sig R1T, could be a Leupold DPP, could end up being a Trijicon RMR with DPP bolt pattern - All we know for certain is the Army told Sig the footprint and bolt pattern for the slide plate needed to match the Leupold offering

Correct, the whole reason on me wanting the  RX fullsize Conversion kit was to just get a deal on both the full size slide & barrel for M17 Training clone (Just needs to be close enough to matter) and a Sig Romeo1 for my X-Five for Carry Optics / 3gun open pistol. I didn't realize that the Romeo1T will not fit the RX slide, So that tells me we won't see them coming with the RX series of pistol anytime soon.

Well they could start offering them on the RX line, but Sig would have to change the cut in the slide of the RX pistols to be more like that of the X-Five and X-Carry, which are themselves similar to the M17/M18. The optic cut on the RX pistols sits in front of the rear iron sight dovetail, while the cut on the X-Series/MHS-Series pistols takes material off all the way to the back of the slide, which is why the X- and MHS-Series pistols lose their rear iron sight when you add the Romeo1 - The stock rear iron sight is attached to the cover plate, rather than the slide itself.

The shroud that will soon be available for the Romeo1 and that will come with the Romeo1T includes an integral replacement iron sight that takes the place of the sight that is attached to the cover plate, the one that gets removed when you mount the optic to the slide. If you tried to mount it to the RX pistol, you'd have to mill out some of the slide material to the rear of the stock optic cut. It can be done, it would just be expensive and labor-intensive.

For your stated purposes like I previously suggested I'd just get a fullsize RX slide and carry grip module, along with some of the 21-round magazines. The only real difference between your faux-M17 and the military-issued one will be that your Romeo doesn't have a shroud and that the rear iron sight will be directly attached to the slide rather than integral to the shroud. I believe the only difference between the currently available Romeo1 and the forthcoming R1T is the inclusion of the shroud - The actual optic itself will be effectively the same

• 10 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, jejb said:

Correct. But you can buy adapter plates from places like Springer Precision for the X-5 that will allow you to mount different optics. Those adapters will not work on RX guns, though.

I had zero luck with those plates when I tried to put a DPP on my X5; the plate holes didn't line up with the slide and the hardware didn't fit either. I even had it swapped out and still nothing. Went to a Romeo 1 instead and kept the DPP on my 34MOS

I didn't have very good luck with my DPP.  It would wash out in our bays during the summer to the point had struggled to find it on really fast transitions.  That was on the highest setting. 

I'm using a Romeo 1 now, but I'm about to get a second co gun and am really curious about the weight of optics.  I know the DPP even without the plate is heavier.  I'm curious how much that effects the slide vs the Romeo 1.

18 hours ago, mellino19 said:

I had zero luck with those plates when I tried to put a DPP on my X5; the plate holes didn't line up with the slide and the hardware didn't fit either. I even had it swapped out and still nothing. Went to a Romeo 1 instead and kept the DPP on my 34MOS

Good to know. But there are reports of folks using the Springer plates to mount DPP's on X5's. So kind of odd it didn't work for you.

4 hours ago, jejb said:

Good to know. But there are reports of folks using the Springer plates to mount DPP's on X5's. So kind of odd it didn't work for you.

Luckily Springer was great about helping and provided measurements and all. I checked both plates with a caliper and still had no luck. It was either grind/sand hardware down and risk cross threading the bolts once the heads fit into the recess of the slide or say F it and buy a Romeo 1.

You can definitely try a Springer adapter plate, they're $35 which isn't awful and they'll take it back if any issues should arise but I just like to let people know it may not be a quick and easy install as you'd hope.

Glock got it right with the MOS system and the OEM plates they provide/sell extra...I hope Sig catches up and does this given the amount of people that prefer other red dots...just also wish H&K would understand this because that new long slide kit looks sweet but not being optics ready is a bummer.

18 hours ago, mellino19 said:

Glock got it right with the MOS system and the OEM plates they provide/sell extra...I hope Sig catches up and does this given the amount of people that prefer other red dots...just also wish H&K would understand this because that new long slide kit looks sweet but not being optics ready is a bummer.

S&W does that also, on their CORE guns. Since Sig sells their own optic, I'm sure they are less inclined to make the choice easier for the consumer.

3 minutes ago, jejb said:

S&W does that also, on their CORE guns. Since Sig sells their own optic, I'm sure they are less inclined to make the choice easier for the consumer.

True, would be silly to compete with yourself in that aspect