Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Excessive wear??

Bench

There has only been ~400 rounds put through this plastic gun but to my untrained eye this seems like excessive wear to me. It's all been factory loads (UMC) and no +P. One picture is of the top of the barrel and the other is the inside of the slide. Any thoughts/resolutions??

20180424_144106.jpg

20180424_144349.jpg

Edited by Bench

The inside of the slide looks like normal wear except for the line in the middle...not sure what would make that wear mark.  400 rounds though???  possibly...

The one on top of the barrel does not look normal...

what gun is it?

7 minutes ago, racerba said:

The inside of the slide looks like normal wear except for the line in the middle...not sure what would make that wear mark.  400 rounds though???  possibly...

The one on top of the barrel does not look normal...

what gun is it?

It's a Remington RP9...that I can't seem to find anyone that wants to buy it lol. I may be off by a couple hundred rounds but  no more than that.

• 2 months later...

Not sure on the frame wear, would have to see it to judge how significant it is. The barrel marks look like something is out of whack in there.

I no longer do any work on Taurus, it's like trying to polish a turd - you just end up with a shiny turd. I'm debating adding most of the products from Freedom Group to the list.

1 hour ago, Absocold said:

Not sure on the frame wear, would have to see it to judge how significant it is. The barrel marks look like something is out of whack in there.

I no longer do any work on Taurus, it's like trying to polish a turd - you just end up with a shiny turd. I'm debating adding most of the products from Freedom Group to the list.

There were some other issues with this gun like the mag release spring...I fixed that and the trigger return spring with off the shelf springs and the dang thing runs GREAT now. And there is no substitute for a wedge of JB Weld to tighten up the mag well on the upper end to prevent the mag follower from jumping the slide lock tab.  You shouldn't have to do these kinds of fixes to a new gun but since I can't unload it errrr send it down the river I guess I'll just keep on fix'n it and shooting it. In addition I seem to be a better gunsmith (hobby) than Big Green after one trip to the mfg. gunsmith with no significant gains forward...I don't need to be reminded to not follow up this purchase with another like it. I've hunted with Remington for about 50 years and thought I'd stay with the brand...not anymore until this thing dies.

It's not that I don't appreciate all the business that Freedom Group provides me. It's just that after I fix the gun, the customer is still unhappy.

"Oh, you charged me to make it work like it should have in the first place. Gee... thanks."

And then it comes back later with more work needed and now I'm the bad guy for not foreseeing this new issue. I dislike being involved in continued buyer's remorse.