Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match with a high end gun - Good or Bad ?

shevy1284

This may be a silly question but I ask from experience:

Last year I traded a local LEO my Glock 17 for his almost new Stock 2 with some cash. I wasn't aware what the gun was besides knowing it was worth more than my Glock which I didn't enjoy shooting. I can shoot the gun great, my follow up shots are smooth and I can handle the weight of the gun with no problem. My concern is showing up to my first match with a higher end gun, is it a bad idea? I am not an outgoing person, I don't speak much and tend to keep to myself so I am not a flashy person in general. Will showing up with a higher end gun for my first match give other shooters the wrong idea? I only ask this because I have been involved in other hobbies where this exact thing happened regularly and people were labeled as "posers" and often shunned for trying to buy their way to the top. I have plenty of carry/compact guns I can use for a match or two if needed. I have a feeling I am over thinking the whole idea.. What are your thoughts?

My very first match I showed up with two STI DVC's. I wanted one for a back up. If I could have got my hands on an SVI I would have sported that gun instead.  What people thought of me or my equipment never entered my mind,  I was there have fun and that I did. Quit over thinking things and just go have fun. 

3 minutes ago, shevy1284 said:

Thanks that's basically what I assumed and figure after my first match or two I'll settle in.

Plus half the people I see at matches are "posers" LOLOL. We all "want" to burn stages down but we rarely do. It matters ZERO what gun you bring as long as you know how to run it. By that I mean, decocking it, clearing it in a hurry etc. Nobody will care as long as you are safe, just go for it. 

42 minutes ago, shevy1284 said:

This may be a silly question but I ask from experience:

Last year I traded a local LEO my Glock 17 for his almost new Stock 2 with some cash. I wasn't aware what the gun was besides knowing it was worth more than my Glock which I didn't enjoy shooting. I can shoot the gun great, my follow up shots are smooth and I can handle the weight of the gun with no problem. My concern is showing up to my first match with a higher end gun, is it a bad idea? I am not an outgoing person, I don't speak much and tend to keep to myself so I am not a flashy person in general. Will showing up with a higher end gun for my first match give other shooters the wrong idea? I only ask this because I have been involved in other hobbies where this exact thing happened regularly and people were labeled as "posers" and often shunned for trying to buy their way to the top. I have plenty of carry/compact guns I can use for a match or two if needed. I have a feeling I am over thinking the whole idea.. What are your thoughts?

I think as people get to know you, they'll probably give you crap. At least I would. Granted I'd give you more crap about the glock.

You're not really going to stick out shooting a stock 2, and most people probably wont pay much attention to how you shoot anyway. At your first match worry about safety, and not how you think people see you.

You're not really going to stick out shooting a stock 2, and most people probably wont pay much attention to how you shoot anyway. At your first match worry about safety, and not how you think people see you.

This. Don't waste your time worrying what others think of your gear. Be safe and you will eventually start meeting a lot of cool guys who will either give you lots of advice from years of experience and rib or friendly banter you every chance that they get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99% of the time nobody is paying any attention to what anyone else is doing.  That and a Stock 2 at a match in my area would rank about 65th in high end guns at a match.  The amount of money we spend on gear make anything short of a $7k+ blaster "just another production gun" 
Just show up and have fun.  

24 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

.  The amount of money we spend on gear make anything short of a $7k+ blaster "just another production gun" 
Just show up and have fun.  

I know a stock 2 isn't considered "high end" I mostly just meant I'm not using my polymer/every day guns. Thanks for the advice everyone!

As long as you can manage the muzzle and trigger effectively, no one is going to criticize you. If you are starting out with a <2 lb trigger and you don't have the appropriate trigger discipline, it will be problematic. When you start out, you will be limited by your own ability, as you improve you can/may be limited by equipment. It's not guaranteed, however.  Figuring out what the right equipment is for you to optimize your ability is the key, and this takes time to do. I've seen people make GM shooting factory Glocks in Limited with only minor modifications. In those cases,  the ability of the shooter overcame the potential inefficiencies of the equipment.  Whether you start out with a highly tuned gun, or a stock Glock your focus should be on improving your ability with whatever you are shooting, and that will almost always yield the better results. 

The gun itself isn't going to run faster, aim faster, transition faster or teach you the right stage strategies - only you can do that!

4 hours ago, shevy1284 said:

Will showing up with a higher end gun for my first match give other shooters the wrong idea?  

I was concerned about exactly the same thing, so I broke out my

WWII P38 with an 8 round mag instead of rolling with my TruBor.     :rolleyes:

Actually, it was a P35, and got a few nice comments about it

from P35 lovers.

Seriously, as everyone above mentioned, there is NOTHING to worry

about - bring what you've got and enjoy    :) 

First off Bryan, congratulations on the trade! :cheers: you definitely came out ahead on that one.

Second, I can empathize with your fear; when I got my first taste of action pistol competition it was with a CZ 75 Tactical Sports from the rental rack at the local range.  I fell in love instantly so naturally I set my sights on the Czechmate, but was too intimdated to shoot my first match in Open with a $3,000 Open gun so I bought a Tactical Sports, shot my first match in Limited and immediately started turning it into a Czechmate!

Five years and dozens of custom Open guns later, I realize the compeditors in this sport are the most humble and accepting people I've ever met.  Their criticisms of my choices were just my imagination reflecting my own insecurities.

A heavier gun with a lighter trigger will certainly help you shoot better faster, whether that's good or bad for your shooting is debatable and also dependent on your reasons for choosing the sport.

Enjoy your new gun, be safe, and have fun :cheers:

This is an expensive-ass sport.  I commend those who can't shoot that well and still shoot an SVI.  As long as they don't have an attitude of "I should be winning since I have the best gun"  then I don't really think twice if someone who doesn't know what's going on has a nicer gun than I do.

On April 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM, shevy1284 said:

Thanks that's basically what I assumed and figure after my first match or two I'll settle in.

If it would make you feel better, I'll take one for the team and shoot that Stock 2 and you can shoot my M&P ?

On 5/5/2018 at 9:47 AM, workingmanjeff said:

If it would make you feel better, I'll take one for the team and shoot that Stock 2 and you can shoot my M&P ?

Big thumbs up to workingmanjeff, you just made my day ?

cheers and safe shooting everyone.

Edited by eagle1281

Bad, from a self confidence standpoint. People may expect a little more if you have a high-end gun. And if you underperform, you may feel that the investment wasn't worth. I think from a psychological standpoint, it's better to start with a humble gun, and improve/upgrade as your skills also grow. 

Shoot what you can safely operate and are most comfortable with. Enjoy the experience and ask questions!

No one worth a damn will judge you based on your gun or skill level if you are eager to learn.

I'm a C Class shooter who happens to have many nice guns that are $3000+. I had lots of nice guns before getting into shooting USPSA. I don't care what people think or expect. I'm there to have fun and shoot a match. Most of the guys I shoot with are busier talking crap to each other then paying attention to what gun you have.