Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob here and just shot my first USPSA match the other day

DB_Cooper

New guy here and new to USPSA, I shot my first USPSA match in carry optics this past Saturday and it was a blast (pun intended). I joined here to learn tips and tricks about competitive shooting and plan on shooting my next match on May 5th.

What setup and gun are you using? Just a hint from when I started a couple years ago...don’t go down the rabbit hole of trying to buy a bunch of good equipment right away. Shoot a few matches and talk to other shooters. Try out there gear and see what you like. Welcome to a very addicting hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the fray/addiction that is known as competitive shooting! haha! I started about a year ago and after my first match I was hooked as I'm sure you are now too; good people, good shooting, good competion; what more can you ask for?

When I started a year ago I started Listening to the Ben Stoeger podcast to and from work to help me wrap my head around the sport. I also watched YouTube videos from various pros to pick up some better shooting techniques. I also bought Ben’s Dryfire and Skills and drills books. There are plenty of options out there for training but I liked his no BS approach. One thing I learned is dryfire is definitely a valuable tool and will have you progressing in the sport a whole lot faster then just live fire training alone. 

Agree. I bought a set of the scale Dry Fire targets from Ben’s Pro shop and it really helped me improved. I also bought the two books which I read and practice with daily.

i think it’s worth it plus it gives me something to do during my spare time.

19 hours ago, Turbo0321 said:

When I started a year ago I started Listening to the Ben Stoeger podcast to and from work to help me wrap my head around the sport. I also watched YouTube videos from various pros to pick up some better shooting techniques. I also bought Ben’s Dryfire and Skills and drills books. There are plenty of options out there for training but I liked his no BS approach. One thing I learned is dryfire is definitely a valuable tool and will have you progressing in the sport a whole lot faster then just live fire training alone. 

Thanks for the tip on the podcast, I just started listening to podcast on my iphone because music on the radio sucks nowadays and I just subscribed to the Practical Pistol Show. Thanks again!

56 minutes ago, DB_Cooper said:

Thanks for the tip on the podcast, I just started listening to podcast on my iphone because music on the radio sucks nowadays and I just subscribed to the Practical Pistol Show. Thanks again!

Not a problem. So when I first started listening I used the podcast app and played the most recent one at the time. After I realized I like the podcast I went back and downloaded all 200 podcast and listened to all of them from the first episode. Since then Apple got rid of a bunch so the furthest back you can go is episode 210 maybe. If you want to listen to podcast 001 all the way to the most recent though they are all on YouTube. I have YouTube Red and just download them and play them. Doesn’t use your data either when you download them to YouTube.