Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Bearing Upgrades? Which is Better?

As we all know, the indexing "snap" on a shell plate can make a pretty good mess.  Not exclusively a Dillon issue....

Anyway, there are a couple bearing upgrade kits out there.  Does one work better than another?  Here are two examples:

Level 10

Uniquetek

Who has used both?  Does one offer a significant advantage over another?

TIA!

You can prevent the shell plate from snapping into place also by simply placing an o-ring on one of your locator pins. This will create drag on the case as it comes into a station and prevent powder spillage. To do this take one of your locator pins and place it in a cordless drill then use a small triangle file to cut a groove in the locator pin head,  stretch the smallest o-ring you can into the groove. It works and its really cheap to do. 

I traded for a 650 that had the roller bearing on it.  I did not realize this so I had already ordered a bushing from Snowshooze, figured I would give it a try.

I dont know that I can tell the difference between the two honestly.  I left the bushing in place because I didnt want to take anything apart again.  I kept the roller bearing in my spare parts kit though.

Another option that just about eliminates the "snap" is to put a dab of grease on to the indexing ball and grease the indents on the bottom of the shell plate.  Runs smoothly and removes 95% of the noticeable snap.  
Brian Enos Slide Glide?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bearing kits increase snap, as do the lightweight balls.  Those parts are designed to do nothing but lighten your wallet.  Gimmicks.

Putting grease under your shell plate is doing nothing but asking for problems by collecting dirt.

If you want to decrease snap, tune the detent ball spring.  The detent ball is only there to prevent reverse rotation of the shell plate when the index arm retracts.  Any additional pressure above and beyond that only contributes to shell plate snap.

49 minutes ago, Brassaholic13 said:

Bearing kits increase snap, as do the lightweight balls.  Those parts are designed to do nothing but lighten your wallet.  Gimmicks.

But gimmicks that work exceptionally well if you are precise in adjusting your shellplate’s tension with the bearing installed.

Do that, and it does indeed delete the snap.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

But gimmicks that work exceptionally well if you are precise in adjusting your shellplate’s tension with the bearing installed.

Do that, and it does indeed delete the snap.

Yeah, we all know they work. I only use the bearing with one washer on top and it lets me tighten the bolt until the plate barely turns by hand. No snap at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped using the bearing and instead went with the oil impregnated brass washer. It doesn't require any adjustment to the ejection spring. Along with the replacement spring/ball it eliminated the snap and the shell plate bolt tightening.

I would recommend you look on Ebay Seller name is Snowshooze.  He makes some aftermarket parts for the 650.  I have his rotocam actuator, Roller Cam Follower, Top Plate Bearing and Primer Stop Switch (My Favorite Part).  they work great at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Tokarev said:

I use some of his parts.

I would recommend you look on Ebay Seller name is Snowshooze.  He makes some aftermarket parts for the 650.  I have his rotocam actuator, Roller Cam Follower, Top Plate Bearing and Primer Stop Switch (My Favorite Part).  they work great at a reasonable price.

I use some of his parts.
Nice.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk