Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many shell caddies are needed on the belt

RangerTrace

I tried a couple searches with no luck.

I'm finally getting my 3gun gear together and I'm searching for shell caddies.   I'm leaning towards the Safariland caddies.  How many do you need to get through a typical shotgun stage?

Thanks!!

Trace

Depends how many shotgun targets there are. It differs every time. I go with two Invictus 12rd caddies on the belt plus a 24rd vest. Usually I get to choose which I am going to use instead of wearing them all at the same time. It's nice to have options

I think it depends. Most guys put one 8 shell carrier on the belt but can add one or two more on if needed (or a chest rig) if it's a shotgun heavy stage.

Then somewhere to put an extra slug or two if needed.

Edited by DesertTortoise

i run two invictus that hold 8 each, front center of my belt.  if more than that are needed normally someone is nice enough to loan me their chest rig.  i have a 3rd one that holds 8 and thinking about somehow strapping it to my leg.  frankly i think it's bs to have to do more than one full tube reload on a stage, and the shell carriers are outrageously expensive.  way too much space taken up and while i know we do this for fun, i still like a little practicality and can't see anyone (ie MIL or LEO) running around with a bunch of shells on them and reloading while taking incoming fire.

29 minutes ago, davsco said:

i run two invictus that hold 8 each, front center of my belt.  if more than that are needed normally someone is nice enough to loan me their chest rig.  i have a 3rd one that holds 8 and thinking about somehow strapping it to my leg.  frankly i think it's bs to have to do more than one full tube reload on a stage, and the shell carriers are outrageously expensive.  way too much space taken up and while i know we do this for fun, i still like a little practicality and can't see anyone (ie MIL or LEO) running around with a bunch of shells on them and reloading while taking incoming fire.

I completely agree with your thinking about the shotgun not being very "practical".  I haven't qualified with one in years.  

Sunday I shot a 27 round stage. 24 on my belt, 9 in the gun to start, and a match saver is what I usually carry and just take the belt off when I'm done. Sometimes I gotta go prone so I'll move things around as needed so I don't bend my springs. For the 3man match in PA I needed my 3 caddies, a 12 shot caddie, and a borrowed 20 round chest rig for the cemetery stage.

Had the same question, and it seems like 16 shells is the minimum, maybe 12 if you only do locals. 24 is the safe bet.

Going to get some Safariland caddies as well. I want Kings, but it's just too expensive for me. Maybe I'll get a pair of 8 shell Safarilands and 1 King since I don't have a lot of waist space.

4 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Had the same question, and it seems like 16 shells is the minimum, maybe 12 if you only do locals. 24 is the safe bet.

Going to get some Safariland caddies as well. I want Kings, but it's just too expensive for me. Maybe I'll get a pair of 8 shell Safarilands and 1 King since I don't have a lot of waist space.

Or just eat more......

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 5:12 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

get the Taccom 20 round chest rig IF you quad or deuce load weak handed. it puts your loading hand much closer to the loading port when you flip the shotgun

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Should work for strong hand too, right - tipping the gun on my right shoulder? I see Taccom also has a shoulder strap to hold the rig up... recommended? 1 or 2?

thanks.

I know that Airsoft stuff is taboo, but to start out I would look into the FMA Q8. They are about $27.00 each and a Taccom knockoff. It's hard to handle paying top dollar something only to find out it doesn't work for you. 

Should work for strong hand too, right - tipping the gun on my right shoulder? I see Taccom also has a shoulder strap to hold the rig up... recommended? 1 or 2?

thanks.
yes definitely go with 2 straps. gives you more stability if loading on the move

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've stopped even using holders or even practicing quads, in favor of working on the barrel toss. 

At the beep, I sprint to within 12' of the barrel and make the toss. Since the gun is empty (I never load it) I don't worry about it falling out, and its a mossy so who cares.

I just take the misses. This has stepped up my 3gun game and scores considerably. Also, easier to show clear, and cheaper.

• 1 month later...

You need to carry enough to shoot the stage.  More is better!

I have two invictus practical 8 up caddies for 16 rounds, 9 in the gun makes 25 and the match saver makes 26.  If I need more, I have a Carbon Arms Backbone 24 on a chest rig.  If you yard sale rounds, you need to carry a crap load.

I have room for 20 rounds on my belt (old school weak hand caddies). That will get me through 90% of all shotgun stages, even when slugs are mixed in. On the big shotgun stages (like some of the 40-50 target stages at HeMan, woo hoo!), I add more caddies or a chest rig to have enough ammo. Usually, the mega shotgun stages are either all shotgun or only two gun stages, so you can move gear around on your belt to add shotgun capacity

Hurley