Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124 gr PCC - starting to load my own - have questions

I am getting a Dillon 650 press and I have a few questions to all the PCC shooters who shoot 124 grn, and reload.... what brand of bullet, powder, and primer are you using for your loads? Also, are you buying primers and powder locally (ATLANTA AREA)  or ordering online? IF locally (ATLANTA AREA), where? and what are you paying for powder and primers?

Before everyone says this has been talked to death or I should do a search on this topic.... I have been reading everything on here in PCC and the Reloading sections.... everyone is loading a different weight bullet and using a different powder and using a different primer... to much confusion to try to see a consensus of opinion for what I am wanting to shoot. 

I already have my PCC tuned for 124 gr Freedom munitions rounds at 1060fps (as listed on the web) and I do not want to go and do a ton of reworking of springs and such for a new bullet weight.

I might get in trouble for this but I am going to post this same question in the 9mm reloading section as well.

Mark

Edited by mstamper

My coated bullet load is 125 gr Blue Bullets RN over 3.9 gr of N-320 at 1.100" OAL.     On 16" barrels (PSA & Spinta) I get 1140 fps (142.5 PF).

With 125 gr Zero JHP bullets I run 4.0 gr N-320 for 1175 FPS (146.9 PF).  This is my load when accuracy beyond 60 yards is required.  

For primers I usually use Winchester SPP but got a good deal last fall on S&B SPP and have been using them exclusively for several months.

You didn't ask, but my favorite bullet for USPSA is 147 gr.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Barrel: 16 inch Kaw Valley.

Bullet: 124 RMR full metal jacket round nose.

Powder: 3.2 grains of N320.

Case: Winchester.

Primer: CCI small pistol.

OAL: From 1.110 to 1.120.

Velocity: 1039 fps.

Power Factor: 128

Recoil: Very mild.

Accuracy: Excellent.

Mark: You can get Tite Group powder from Academy sports as well as primers there. For bullets you can order 500 Extreme round nose to see if you like them. A good load is 3.4 grains of Tite Group, Winchester small pistol primers, 124 RN Extreme bullets loaded to 1.140" OAL. That should make minor in a 16" barrel even if it is a slow barrel. Power factor will be in the 130-138PF range depending on the barrel. Thanks, Eric

Mark: You can get Tite Group powder from Academy sports as well as primers there. For bullets you can order 500 Extreme round nose to see if you like them. A good load is 3.4 grains of Tite Group, Winchester small pistol primers, 124 RN Extreme bullets loaded to 1.140" OAL. That should make minor in a 16" barrel even if it is a slow barrel. Power factor will be in the 130-138PF range depending on the barrel. Thanks, Eric
What defines a "slow barrel"?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

That's the load I've been using but with RMR 124 rn bullets

125gr Blue Bullet TC

1.08" OAL

3.2gr Titegroup

Winchester SPP (FWIW, I have not seen any difference between running these and Federal #100 primers)

1112 FPS from my 16" Nordic barrel

139 PF

I was previously running 3.6gr of Titegroup (my pistol load), but it was leading up the comp badly.  3.2gr seems to be doing much better in that regard.

As for buying powder/primers, my club usually gets a bulk order together once or twice a year from Powder Valley and people split hazmat/shipping charges.

Edited by JAFO