Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 and ultrasonic cleaning

Shrek1

I use non chlorinated brake cleaner spray and paper towels. I've never been crazy about dunking my pistol in a water bath. I keep picturing myself forgetting to lube an area and getting it rusty. :P

That said, I'm curious to know how well ultrasonic cleaners work on removing carbon buildup etc. Esp on the front of a revolver's cylinder.

I wouldn't get near an ultrasonic cleaner where the solution's base is water. Alcohol, maybe, but probably not then either.

I clean the bore, bolt, and some of the stuff I can wipe down with a cloth fairly regularly, but other than that I may only take the gun completely apart once a year.

Edited by MikieM

There no need IMO. I have a fancy, heated ultra sonic cleaner and Uniquetek’s special cleaning liquid and don’t use it anymore.

Brake cleaner is cheap & effective. I shoot a lot and don’t have to use it very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

So just to revive and verify,

Shadow drivers don’t recommend the use of sonic cleaners? I’ve been running Glocks for a long time but I thought maybe my new shadow would give me a good excuse to finally purchase a sonic cleaner. 

I have never used it on my shadows, but I have used Lucas oil ultrasonic cleaner on my 2011s with good results. 

Once I pull the slide out I use a qtip to clean the firing pin channel out and the extractor channel. I use a rag to wipe down the feed ramp and then oil and reassemble. If I hadn't won the ultra sonic cleaner at a match and got the cleaner from a match I wouldn't spend the money on either. 

I only use it on the slide and barrel. I don't see much point in doing it on the frames

So just to revive and verify,
Shadow drivers don’t recommend the use of sonic cleaners? I’ve been running Glocks for a long time but I thought maybe my new shadow would give me a good excuse to finally purchase a sonic cleaner. 

Really no need to. I have a sonic cleaner for purchasing brass, but the gun is never really dirty enough to necessitate ultrasonic cleaning. I have considering ultrasonic cleaning my 223 brake though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...