Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magma-port ruger pc.

Since a comp on the end of the Ruger barrel at 16 inches doesn’t seem to do anything. I was thinking about sending it to magna Port and have four ports put in right behind the front sight.   Has anyone done something similar to this on a 9 mm carbine? Do you think it would be more effective then a traditional comp? I want to run my pistol loads which is a 147 grain Bayou bullet with 3 grains of titegroup. 

Hello: If a comp doesn't do anything then the porting won't do anything except make more noise for the timer. There is not enough gas to work the comp fully. Does it direct the sound and gases, yes it does but it does not make it shoot magically flatter. Thanks, Eric

9 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If a comp doesn't do anything then the porting won't do anything except make more noise for the timer. There is not enough gas to work the comp fully. Does it direct the sound and gases, yes it does but it does not make it shoot magically flatter. Thanks, Eric

Since the bullet is still in the barrel when Gas is coming out of the ports wouldn’t the pressure be higher than with a cop. Compensators have the advantage of venting a larger amount of gas but in a 9 mm there isn’t that much   They will also be drilled in several inches from the end of the barrel. Not sure if that would make much of a difference in pressure.I was thinking the ports might be more beneficial since they will use less gas but at a higher pressure. They will also be drilled in several inches from the end of the barrel. Not sure if that would make much of a difference in pressure.

I would think the gain would be insignificant if the ports were cut where Magna-Port usually cuts them. 

If you requested they be placed, say halfway back from the muzzle, you could be losing valuable velocity. One of the advantages of a 16 inch barrel is the ease in making power factor. Even then there would be no guarantee that the jetted gas from the ports would do what you wanted. Remember. You're holding the gun with a strong cheek and shoulder weld, plus a hand and arm near the end of the gun. You're asking a lot for that little 9mm Luger to not only stop the muzzle from rising, but to also make it (the muzzle) come back down.

Hello: I have shot skeet shotguns that have been ported as well. The only thing that it does is make more noise. They don't shoot any flatter or softer and actually reduce the value of the shotgun. But if you think it will work then it will work. Thanks, Eric

48 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I would think the gain would be insignificant if the ports were cut where Magna-Port usually cuts them. 

If you requested they be placed, say halfway back from the muzzle, you could be losing valuable velocity. One of the advantages of a 16 inch barrel is the ease in making power factor. Even then there would be no guarantee that the jetted gas from the ports would do what you wanted. Remember. You're holding the gun with a strong cheek and shoulder weld, plus a hand and arm near the end of the gun. You're asking a lot for that little 9mm Luger to not only stop the muzzle from rising, but to also make it (the muzzle) come back down.

That is what I was thinking. Ports mid barrel would give you more pressure but I wonder if that would be offset by a lot less leverage on the end of the barrel? Based on all of the comments I think I will run no ports or comp as it does not seem to make much difference 

49 minutes ago, mstamper said:

Keep this in mind as well, IF you are going to be shooting this in a USPSA match, Barrel ports are not allowed per appendix D8 / 12, so you would be shooting in open class.

I can see why you say PCC barrel ports are a "no-go" in USPSA, but I bet nobody ever gets dinged for having them and you can't shoot/get bumped to Open with a PCC gun. 

actually, I have yet to see anyone with a magna ported barrel in PCC. And YES the rules to allow for any gun deemed to not meet the specs for that division during a match to get bumped to open (pcc or otherwise). There are plenty of examples of production guys using an 11 round mag for a stage and get bumped to open because of the extra round < that is just an example

5 minutes ago, mstamper said:

actually, I have yet to see anyone with a magna ported barrel in PCC. And YES the rules to allow for any gun deemed to not meet the specs for that division during a match to get bumped to open (pcc or otherwise). There are plenty of examples of production guys using an 11 round mag for a stage and get bumped to open because of the extra round < that is just an example

PCC can NOT get bumped to Open division:
PCC 6.2.5.1 If a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements for PCC division during the course of fire, he will shoot for no score

Edited by Patrick Scott
12 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

PCC can NOT get bumped to Open division:
PCC 6.2.5.1 If a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements for PCC division during the course of fire, he will shoot for no score

I still say that you will get bumped to open or since there is no supporting rule ALLOWING barrel porting in PCC. The ONLY division allowing barrel porting is OPEN. SO, if you have your PCC barrel ported you will be put into OPEN. (Appendix D1 / 16) 

PCC 6.2.5.1 does not apply.

11 minutes ago, mstamper said:

I still say that you will get bumped to open or since there is no supporting rule ALLOWING barrel porting in PCC. The ONLY division allowing barrel porting is OPEN. SO, if you have your PCC barrel ported you will be put into OPEN. (Appendix D1 / 16) 

How on earth does it not apply? You said "the rules to allow for any gun deemed to not meet the specs for that division during a match to get bumped to open" That is rule 6.2.5.1 so you are saying 6.2.5.1 applies, but your are also saying it doesn't apply.   

Edited by Patrick Scott
19 minutes ago, mstamper said:

Also, you just made the Sig MPX illegal. It has a barrel port

Just now, Patrick Scott said:

How on earth does it not apply? I really want to hear this. 

AS I just went and did the RO class... 

IF a competitor is called out on a modification of their gun, it is the competitor's responsibility to cite the rule supporting the modification. AS there is no rule allowing Porting of a PCC barrel it is up to the discretion of the Range Master / MD how to place the shooter. As the ONLY rule allowing for barrel porting is D1 / 16, even with pcc 6.2.5.1, I see it as the RM / MD would place the shooter in OPEN.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Also, you just made the Sig MPX illegal. It has a barrel port

I believe that port is a gas port for the receiver to cycle, similar to an AR 15. NOT the same as a magna ported barrel to reduce muzzle flip.

12 minutes ago, mstamper said:

AS I just went and did the RO class... 

IF a competitor is called out on a modification of their gun, it is the competitor's responsibility to cite the rule supporting the modification. AS there is no rule allowing Porting of a PCC barrel it is up to the discretion of the Range Master / MD how to place the shooter. As the ONLY rule allowing for barrel porting is D1 / 16, even with pcc 6.2.5.1, I see it as the RM / MD would place the shooter in OPEN.

So now to you the PCC shooter is in OPEN, what if( and probably they are) his mags don't fit the 170mm gauge? What do you do now?  What happens to an Open shooter with mags over 170mm?

I have already answered that question. 

and the OP was asking about barrel porting to specifically reduce muzzle flip. That sort of porting is at the front of the barrel. The MPX port is actually called a TIppet by SIG and is located at the rear of the barrel. IT IN NO WAY reduces flip or rise of the muzzle. That is NOT considered a barrel port, it is internal to the operation of the gun hence that is allowed.

4 minutes ago, mstamper said:

I have already answered that question. 

and the OP was asking about barrel porting to specifically reduce muzzle flip. That sort of porting is at the front of the barrel. The MPX port is actually called a TIppet by SIG and is located at the rear of the barrel. IT IN NO WAY reduces flip or rise of the muzzle. That is NOT considered a barrel port, it is internal to the operation of the gun hence that is allowed.

Since you just took the RO class, I think you should ask Troy about this. I already have...

We have hijacked this original thread. IF we want to continue this rules discussion we really should open a new thread in the USPSA rules thread and allow this OP question to be answered here as an equipment discussion