Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to try a new powder

broadus123

I have been using clays for years and would like to try something new. I load 4.1gr clays with a 180gr blue bullet at oal of 1.185. I have read some like E3 some like prime sv. I am open to suggestions but would like something similar to clays when shooting without the spikes that clays has. I want a soft shooting and clean powder for a reasonable price. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have titegroup. I have loaded it in 45s and 9mm. Not as soft as clays in 45 and not very clean.

How does e3 compare to clays ?

Also thinking about prima sv and sport pistol. I havn't shot either myself. Are they clean, soft ect ?

I like e3 in 9mm a lot. It is a soft and pretty clean powder.

Can’t speak to sport pistol yet but the charge weighs between e3 and SP are broadly the same, so I’d guess it’s also relatively soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e3 loads like Clays, but has none of the pressure spikeyness near the top.  It meters superbly, burns cleanly and cooly, and has no temperature sensitivity.  I use it for 40 major and minor, and for 45 bullseye loads and steel loads.  It is very inexpensive compared to pistol powders.  I usually costs me $108 for a 8 lb. jug, but the last one cost $138.  Compared to $170 for 8 lbs. of Silhouette or $250 for the 8 lbs. of 3N38 I just bought, e3 is cheap.

I have no idea why so many use Titegroup.  It must be because it was constantly available during the 'shortage'.  I can't stand the stuff.  It burns hot and dirty.

I agree, titegroup would not be considered. I have some, like everyone else. Hate having to wipe flakes off my arm after shooting. Quite a few recommend prima sv. Is there an advantage using e3 over prima sv ?  I havn't shot either one.  thanks

b, I've never shot Prima V.  There is no reason to, because I'm super satisfied with e3.  If you want an N320 like powder, but without the cost or the temperature sensitivity, try Alliant Sport Pistol.

I’ve tried ramshot competition, prima V, clean shot and VVN320 and my favorite is ramshot competition. Meters very well in the press. Is clean and the recoil impulse in my Cz TSO is great so I’m sticking with that. All behind a 180g blue bullet. You guys can use (Moser) at checkout and save some money if you order blue bullets. 

I've never loaded .40, but I used to use a lot of WW231 for both 9mm and .45.

I would imagine it would probably be pretty good for .40, also.

And, WW just brought out WW244 - supposed to be better than WW231,

but the price seems pretty high ???

I tried some n320. It took almost 5gr to make major at oal of 1.185. I would like to find something softer as well. I load 4.1gr clays, and it is softer shooting than n320. I think I will try to find 1lb containers of e3 and prima sv and try them before ordering a larger quantity. I might try sport pistol also.