Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When do you disengage thumb safety?

AF2010

For me the disengaging of the safety is part of getting a good purchase and grip on the gun. You better do that early or you won’t be set when ready to squeeze a round off. I do it somewhere about 45* 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

By the letter of rule 10.4.1it appears that the shooter was not firing a shot at a target so he is not granted allowance for the bullet traveling in an unsafe direction?

Seems like the r.o. made a reasonable call??

Nope not at all. Touching off a round early does not mean not engaging. If that were the case the DQ would be for AD CUTand dried. Since it didn’t constitute an AD then it has to constitute engaging. 

I don’t like copying and pasting on the phone but the rules are clear on what constitutes an AD, such as during reload/ malfunctions, while moving, etc etc. If you draw to a target 50’ away and launch a round into the ground 10’ 1” away there is no DQ. So leaving the range over a berm means nothing

Edited by Sarge

On 4/22/2018 at 3:48 PM, dthomas1003 said:

Why would you believe it would be anymore dangerous than drawing a striker fired gun with no external safeties? 

Because every great once in a while you will see somebody catch the end of the barrel on the top of the holster and end up with a gun on the ground. 

Not sure how 1911's with thumb safety off and grip pinned and 2 lb triggers would perform in drop testing, but it seems dicey. If you do not hit the safety early intentionally or as part of the gun fumble then it seems like no worries. 

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Nope not at all. Touching off a round early does not mean not engaging. If that were the case the DQ would be for AD CUTand dried. Since it didn’t constitute an AD then it has to constitute engaging. 

I don’t like copying and pasting on the phone but the rules are clear on what constitutes an AD, such as during reload/ malfunctions, while moving, etc etc. If you draw to a target 50’ away and launch a round into the ground 10’ 1” away there is no DQ. So leaving the range over a berm means nothing

OK. So he was drawing to a target and that meets the definition in 10.4.1"legitimately fires a shot at a target" I suppose. 

I can live with that and be happy, but at my current state of ignorance I wouldn't feel like I could pull out the book and make a strong argument for exactly what "legitimately" means in this case. If I was CRO and an RO called it I would have to kick it to the RM for explanation. 

13 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

OK. So he was drawing to a target and that meets the definition in 10.4.1"legitimately fires a shot at a target" I suppose. 

I can live with that and be happy, but at my current state of ignorance I wouldn't feel like I could pull out the book and make a strong argument for exactly what "legitimately" means in this case. If I was CRO and an RO called it I would have to kick it to the RM for explanation. 

It’s easier to check the rule for what defines an AD. It’s made clear in a few sentences. If it do any fall under that then it’s engaging targets.

This seems to be generally understood. I have launched rounds early but was well beyond 10’ and it wasn’t even given a second thought by the RO. I have also called AD’s as a CRO. One was overturned because I made a bad call but the others were easy to define.