Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First SCSA match

robert3405

Shot my first SCSA match yesterday.  I shot PCCO with a Palmetto State Armory 16” 9mm carbine.  It was an awesome time!  Below are my results.  

60.84 total on 5 stages 

showdown 12.22

Pendulum 14.66

Smoke and hope 11.37

Accelerator 11.33

Roundabout 11.26 

I’ve never had more fun shooting in my life.  Lawrence County Sportsman’s Assoc in Wampum PA put on a great shoot.  Laid back atmosphere and many great folks.  

Shot my first SCSA match yesterday.  I shot PCCO with a Palmetto State Armory 16” 9mm carbine.  It was an awesome time!  Below are my results.  

60.84 total on 5 stages 

showdown 12.22
Pendulum 14.66
Smoke and hope 11.37
Accelerator 11.33
Roundabout 11.26 

I’ve never had more fun shooting in my life.  Lawrence County Sportsman’s Assoc in Wampum PA put on a great shoot.  Laid back atmosphere and many great folks.  

If you liked those, wait until your shoot a match with the 3 missing stages Five to Go, Speed Option and Outer Limits! They are the most challenging and require lots of focus to shoot them well. Welcome to the world of speed steel shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies!  I was pretty happy with my performance but I know I left a lot of time out there.  Look forward to improving with each shoot.  

Make sure to join USPSA and then you can track your progress on the SCSA classification page. Once you are classified you can see how you stack up against the upper level shooters, and chart your improvement. SC is super fun and addictive, and has become my favorite discipline.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the club!  Shame you are across the state.  We have a monthly match on the eastern side of PA of all 8 stages, plus the East Coast Steel Challenge Championship in September.  Not to mention the PA Steel League (http://steelshooters.com).  

• 2 weeks later...
Good news... the ONE thing you need to practice for Steel is your draw from surrender. Shave that by .1 and you’re 4 seconds faster for the match.

PCCO is started from the shoulder with the barrel aimed at the low ready pin. No draw involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot my second SCSA match this past saturday.  I shot PCCO and RFPO here were my results with the PCCO:

Showdown: 10.03

5 to go:  12.79

Smoke n hope: 10.70

Accelerator:  14.15  totally brain dead on this stage

Roundabout: 11.67

Here are my results with RFPO

So far I have shot 6 stages with the PCCO and here are my top times in each stage:

Show down 10.03

Pendulum 14.66

Smoke 10.70

Accelerator 11.33

Roundabout 11.26

5 to go 12.79 

I am currently in B class but if my calculations are correct I should move up to A.

I have a total time of 70.77 on these 6 stages and the total peak time for these 6 stages in PCCO is 55.50

55.50 / 70.77 = 78.4%

Am I calculating this correctly?  

The PCCO scores you posted sound like upper B Class. You're not a long way from A. Join USPSA...get a member #... link to Steel Challenge home website, and you'll be able to track your progress.

And, yes, Steel Challenge is a lot of fun! I shot RFPO today... might have made A Class. Already there in RFRO , and now need to work on PCCO (72% currently) and CO.

Soooo many guns, and so few matches to enjoy them.

Looks like you have it correct Robert. When you shoot Outer Limits and Speed option those peak times will be added to your classification record. Your percentage may go down but your classification will stay the same. An argument could be made that those two stages are the most difficult, especially outer limits. My advice would be to practice moving (dry fire) from the end box to the center at the minimum so that you have an idea how to do it before you see it for the first time, assuming it is in a match. As you know outer limits and speed option have targets out at 105 feet. You are doing well.

Thank you!  I wish I had started steel challenge years ago!  

Im signed up to shoot the Area 5 SCSA in Indiana next month which will be all 8 stages.  

Ive been shooting the monthly matches at Lawrence County Sportsman’s Assoc.  in western PA.  Great club 

3 hours ago, robert3405 said:

Thank you!  I wish I had started steel challenge years ago!  

Im signed up to shoot the Area 5 SCSA in Indiana next month which will be all 8 stages.  

Ive been shooting the monthly matches at Lawrence County Sportsman’s Assoc.  in western PA.  Great club 

Come to the east side of the state in September:  http://eastcoaststeelchampionship.com/