Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 open questions

sheepdog69

Hi and Good morning everyone

Im building a 2011 open pistol,  does anyone know of a link for a complete parts list to build it?

recommendations on parts?          i have the slide and frame already  

also any tool list 

same goes for a 1911 style build 

if this is in the wrong place i apologize

EGW makes outstanding parts for the 1911/2011.   You can buy anything you need there, except for a grip for the 2011.

Your required tool list will be determined by how good you are with handwork.

Then I would suggest a way/rail file and several others, stones, a surface plate and sandpaper down to 6000 grit.  You will need a vice and a Dremel (with accys.).  Measuring devices should include a dial caliper, good micrometer, a depth gauge or depth micrometer and a good set of feeler gauges.

If you don't start with an Kart Xact Fit or Barsto Semi-Fit barrel, you will have to pay someone to mill the bottom lugs for you or buy a lug cutter.  It takes the patience of a saint to cut the bottom lugs of a gunsmith barrel by hand.  Rather than buy a chamber reamer, just pay a gunsmith $10~15 to finish it for you.  There are lots of other items that make your life easier.  You'll find out during your first build.

I bought a mill (grizzly G0704) files , stones, single side files, lug cutters, chamber reamers, throating reamer. Used the mill to make the various jigs for tri topping and other jigs. A good vise, mics and calipers, gage pins for measuring slide stop to bottom lug, made my own hood gages etc.

Can be done with files, stones and lug cutters. But then you are going to want to tri top, mill lightening holes etc.

This snowballs quick!

I still have less than a full on custom, but I still want an Akai, a Chaos, and a Limcat....

EGW on all the small parts! Their fire control group is top notch out of the box. Love my Geppert Convex trigger also.

Edited by Broncman