Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back up gun?

triplesinglestack

A backup gun for any division is always a great idea if you can afford it. Esspecially if you are attending major matches.

*Most* revolver repairs aren't really suitable for range repairs at the safe table, just pull out to your backup gun and be done with it, deal with the tiny parts at home. 

Edited by alecmc

7 hours ago, alecmc said:

A backup gun for any division is always a great idea if you can afford it. Esspecially if you are attending major matches.

*Most* revolver repairs aren't really suitable for range repairs at the safe table, just pull out to your backup gun and be done with it, deal with the tiny parts at home. 

Yup.

Same here. Always a back up gun in tow. The only spare parts I carry are a yoke screw and firing pin. 

Although now that I think about it, I'm not going to shoot at a gun at a major that I just took the side plate off. So I guess I just carry the spare firing pin as a paperweight?

I'm too broke for a backup gun right now, so I carry an extra yoke screw and firing pin, and a spare fiber rod, and the special screwdriver bits from Brownell's that fit my gun. If something breaks I'm out of luck. But I've seen a dude have problems at a match and pull out a different revolver and finish the day. But he had a different model and totally different ammo so I'm not sure that would be worth it.

Hhmmmm.  Interesting discussion.  I’m looking to get into revolver. Ive got an old 686 I was going to start with but am debating on eventually moving up to a 929 vs a 627.  Might want to go with the 627 to make the 686 a more efficient back up gun with shared ammo.  

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

IMHO, your backup has to use the same ammo as your primary gun,

or, I agree, it's just not worth it   :) 

Right? His main gun was a 929 in 9mm and then he switched to a 627 with 38SC halfway through.

I made the decision during a trip to Nationals years ago. I traveled there with my wife and daughter and had literally thousands of dollars committed to the trip counting match fees, lodging, ammo, etc. It was all riding on one little lonely 625-8 holding together for the duration. From that perspective, $650.00 plus mods was relatively inexpensive trip insurance.

I haven't forked over the cash for a matching backup gun but still bring one just in case.  If my 929 breaks I'd likely be grabbing a 625 with minor PF loads to replace it.  And yes, I bring enough loaded 45 and 9mm moonclips to shoot the entire match with either gun.

I was at the IRC a few years ago when I experienced my first yoke screw failure.  Went to go reload and wound up with a cylinder in my left hand and the rest of the gun in my right.  In that one particular case I was able to repair the gun at the safe table and finish the match.  Given the choice though, I would have shot a backup gun instead.  Just because you noticed one thing break, it doesn't mean that was the only thing.  

This reminded me that I should probably buy another 929...

18 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

I haven't forked over the cash for a matching backup gun but still bring one just in case.  If my 929 breaks I'd likely be grabbing a 625 with minor PF loads to replace it.  And yes, I bring enough loaded 45 and 9mm moonclips to shoot the entire match with either gun.

I was at the IRC a few years ago when I experienced my first yoke screw failure.  Went to go reload and wound up with a cylinder in my left hand and the rest of the gun in my right.  In that one particular case I was able to repair the gun at the safe table and finish the match.  Given the choice though, I would have shot a backup gun instead.  Just because you noticed one thing break, it doesn't mean that was the only thing.  

This reminded me that I should probably buy another 929...

Been there done that, except mine flew across the room and bounced off the concrete floor. No worse for wear thanks to the titanium :P

I just don't have a spare $1000 lying around to buy another gun right now. After the season is over, hopefully. But 4 long distance/major matches have me pretty broke for the foreseeable future.