Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred brand and style of safety lever?

What's everyone's preferred brand of safety lever?

Also- ambi or one sided?

I have been shooting some of my buddies guns, and I have noticed that sometimes the ambi style seems to get tangled up in my trigger finger,  if I am not used to the gun.

I am sure it's something I can work through.

Plus I am sure the ambi would be good for weird off hand  stuff.

What's your opinions?

The JP safety has interchangeable levers that can be gotten with different lengths and widths to suit your preference, and levers can go on either side.  Say I sell my gun to a lefty, he can swap my levers so that the small one in on the left side.  They also come in several colors if that matters.  

Edited by L9X25

I try to activate the safety every time I move...over the years, I've used a variety of vendors/manufacturers ...I'm not that particular

my first introduction to "tactical" multigun was the North Carolina Tactical match I shot in 1995...I didn't want to screw up, so made it a habit to activate the safety

I use the stock single side safety that came with my PSA lower.  I use my weak side index finger to activate it for weak side starts or stops.  Not a big deal at all ... just practice it a few times.

I like having nothing near my trigger finger. 

I think you have two options, use a single side safety or a short lever one like L9X25 describes.  

SI is Strike Industries.  I just installed one of their 60 degree ambi safeties.  I like the shorter throw, but I do wish it had come with a long and short lever instead of two long levers.  I have to adjust my grip down a little or the knuckle of my firing hand gets in the way of the off-side lever.

Edited by JAFO
53 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I'm sorry.  What brands are the 60 deg SI and BA triggers?  I also us 24C trigger and stuck with 90 deg CMMG Ambi.  Thanks.

SI (Strike Industries). BA (Battle Arms). My Hiperfire 24C has worked with both of those. 

I prefer the 60 degree because my thumb gets kind of jammed up when I use a 90 degree. Besides. A 60 degree safety is 1/3 faster than however long it takes to switch off a 90 degree safety.  ;)

25 minutes ago, JAFO said:

SI is Strike Industries.  I just installed one of their 60 degree ambi safeties.  I like the shorter throw, but I do wish it had come with a long and short lever instead of two long levers.  I have to adjust my grip down a little or the knuckle of my firing hand gets in the way of the off-side lever.

Mine was the same way. I wonder if a person couldn't take a little Dremel cutoff wheel and nip that little bugger off? A dab of matte black Testors and it should look like it was made that way.

They have that Strike Switch, which looks like it can be installed one way as a long lever, or flipped 180 degrees to work as a short lever.  Of course, it's almost 2x the cost of the Hex selector.

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

SI (Strike Industries). BA (Battle Arms). My Hiperfire 24C has worked with both of those. 

I like the looks of the Strike Industries Hex Selector Switch 60/90.  May give it a try.

Quick question.  Does it work at both 60 and 90 degrees?  Or can it be locked to where it only goes to 60 degrees?

Reason I ask is several years ago someone abandoned their AR that had a 60 degree switch.   RO tried to DQ him for not fully engaging the switch to 90 degrees.  If it goes all the way to 90, would I be asking for problems?

Thanks.

(Just noticed on the Strike Switch info on the SI webside "Not compatible with Hiperfire triggers.  No such comment on the Hex switch.)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

If memory serves it does work at both positions. I was made painfully aware of it when I installed it at the 90 degree position, thinking it was at 60, then having to take the trigger out once again to correct the mistake. 24Cs are a pain to install, as I'm sure you know.

I think everyone is savvy enough now that as long as they can see the safety is in the on position then everything is good to go. I don't know if our ROs even look.

I wonder if they mean all Hiperfire triggers? I have used 24Cs on all my guns and SI safeties on two of them without concern. 

Edited by MikieM
14 hours ago, L9X25 said:

The JP safety has interchangeable levers that can be gotten with different lengths and widths to suit your preference, and levers can go on either side.  Say I sell my gun to a lefty, he can swap my levers so that the small one in on the left side.  They also come in several colors if that matters.  

I like the sound of that different length idea

12 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I use the stock single side safety that came with my PSA lower.  I use my weak side index finger to activate it for weak side starts or stops.  Not a big deal at all ... just practice it a few times.

I like having nothing near my trigger finger. 

I think you have two options, use a single side safety or a short lever one like L9X25 describes.  

Glad to see I am not the only one that think the ambi interferes some

AXTS 45/90 WITH spring loaded lock pins only $50 with long and short lever also comes with polished detent pin and spring nice smooth throw combine that with a magpul K2+  grip and you can run the gun just like you can a 1911. On and off the safety without changing your grip. Always thought the safety on was too slow on a AR and with trigger under 3# I like have safety on everytime I move.  

1 hour ago, Startingover said:

Has anyone used this Elftman push button style?

What's your thoughts on it?

http://www.elftactical.com/ar-15-ar-10-ambidextrous-speed-safety-push-button

I tried this a couple of years ago and love it. I now have them on all my ARs. It’s easy to use right or left handed. The button does not interfere with trigger finger. You just have to get used to a different motion to operate it (that took about 10 seconds)

On 4/20/2018 at 5:32 AM, L9X25 said:

I like the looks of this program.

Are you running the low profile or short low profile on the right side?

I am curious if the short one still has enough leverage to operate easily off hand?

I’ve got both the BA and SI,  the Ambi paddle on both of those hit my hand, although it’s more of a dry fire thing, I don’t notice it during live fire

l just installed one of these

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO-AR-15-Ambidextrous-Safety-Selector-p/jb-ambi-safety.htm

the Ambi lever is short and contoured so I don’t notice it during activation, and no I don’t know if it works with a hyperfire 

4 hours ago, Startingover said:

I like the looks of this program.

Are you running the low profile or short low profile on the right side?

I am curious if the short one still has enough leverage to operate easily off hand?

I usually cut a few coils and polish the plunger tip on all of my builds, I don't care for a 10 pound pull on my safety and take down pins.  

I prefer a smoother actuation of the safety.  With the low profile, the lever slips between your hand and the receiver, with the short & low, it is not really long enough to reach my finger to get under it.  I am able to engage/disengage the safety easily with either lever, but it would obviously be a little harder if you have a very difficult safety to operate.

I am not too familiar with safeties  other than the JP and Milspec, but I really like the way the JP is adjustable to any trigger.  You merely adjust the set screw to match whatever you have in the gun and it will fit perfectly.  

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

I like the looks of the Strike Industries Hex Selector Switch 60/90.  May give it a try.

Quick question.  Does it work at both 60 and 90 degrees?  Or can it be locked to where it only goes to 60 degrees?

Reason I ask is several years ago someone abandoned their AR that had a 60 degree switch.   RO tried to DQ him for not fully engaging the switch to 90 degrees.  If it goes all the way to 90, would I be asking for problems?

Thanks.

(Just noticed on the Strike Switch info on the SI webside "Not compatible with Hiperfire triggers.  No such comment on the Hex switch.)

You install the SI Hex 3-in-1 with the cylinder facing one way for 60-degrees, the opposite way for 90-degrees.  The cuts for the detent are different on either side.  So depending on how you install it, you will have either a 60 deg or 90 deg throw, not both.

FWIW, I shot it in a match this past weekend.  If you plan on running it as an ambi, the offside lever is the same length as the strong side lever.  I find it rubs my firing hand knuckle uncomfortably, and I accidentally bumped the safety on at one point after reshouldering.  I contacted SI, but they do not offer shorter levers for that switch.  I plan on grinding the offside lever down to a more comfortable length.

I am thinking I have narrowedit down to either the JP or the BA because of the thin lever on the off side.

Unless anyone knows of another brand that offers an extra thin switch?

Tonight is our local 2 gun night. So I am going to troll the rack to see what everyone else is doing, and try some on before I decide