Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

consolidation? (I have a lot of guns)

fmiller

This may be more of a philosophical question, but since I am a CZ guy I thought I'd start here.

I have a bunch of guns, mostly cz75 variant.

What's bugging me is that this means that I have a lot of different magazines. And I have to make choices about which platforms I modify, accessorize, etc.

And I'm hitting the 'too many options is as bad as too few' stage; I want to simplify my shooting so I can improve it.

So, sorry for the long intro, I'm thinking about selling everything and consolidating and I wanted to get y'all's take or advice on this.

WHAT I WANT:

a carry gun 

a home/sd gun

a target/ipsc gun

WHAT I HAVE:

9mm

CZ75 S/A

CZ PO1 

CZ P09

CZ P10c

Tanfoglio Witness match

SW Shield

Tanfoglio Witness match

PPQ-45

Honestly I'm thinking of going the Glock 19/34/43 route, and perhaps ditching .45 altogether.

Can I get your thoughts? I'm thinking that I could probably get 3K in trades or sales, buy the new stuff, and spend the 'profit' on trigger mods, etc...

OR is there a better way to do this? Keep in mind, the big appeal of going Glock is that (with a chopped G34) I could have ONE big box of G19 mags, instead of EIGHT different kinds...

Thoughts?

f

Everything is already in your possession.  You don't need to go the Glock route.  If you want to consolidate to 9mm let go of the .45s and the CZ 75 SA is not really needed.  Summer carry is the Shield and P01 in winter.  Put some trigger work in the P09 and shoot Production or optic it and shoot CO.  10c for a night stand gun.

BTW, you don't have a lot of guns.  8 is just a getting started number that means you're still learning and making the occasional impulse buy.

I am in the same boat. Started with Walther then progressed into all metal Sigs DA/SA, then sharp shooting CZs, Sphinx and Wilson Combat. Grew from 9mm, into .357sig, ,40s&w, ,45acp, 10mm and backdown to .22lr. At the same time, the sight varies from fixed, to fiber, to red dot dovetail mounted and then slide milled. It’s a progression, passion, fun, and a lot of money changing from need to want.

So I think I want to consolidate as well like you - one for target shooting fun, two for carry (one in the woods and one everywhere else), and 3 for HD (strategically placed at different places). On top of those, a .22lr for practice (and I’ve found it helps greatly).

I am gradually thinking towards polymer for carry due to light weight (but must be DA/SA with decocker), full sized metal for HD, all steel 10mm for woods, and another full metal for target shooting fun.

Besides a couple .22's, an old .38 and old .45,  All my guns are now

9mm.   Only guns I really shoot, anymore.  Makes reloading easy, too.

That simplifies it quite a bit.

Mags are a different story - I have lots of different mags that

will NOT fit other 9mm guns   :(   

I'm with aandabooks - not sure why you would want to give up

CZ's and switch to Glocks ???   Seems like a HUGE step backwards, to me, IMHO.

4 hours ago, fmiller said:

This may be more of a philosophical question, but since I am a CZ guy I thought I'd start here.

I have a bunch of guns, mostly cz75 variant.

What's bugging me is that this means that I have a lot of different magazines. And I have to make choices about which platforms I modify, accessorize, etc.

And I'm hitting the 'too many options is as bad as too few' stage; I want to simplify my shooting so I can improve it.

So, sorry for the long intro, I'm thinking about selling everything and consolidating and I wanted to get y'all's take or advice on this.

WHAT I WANT:

a carry gun 

a home/sd gun

a target/ipsc gun

WHAT I HAVE:

9mm

CZ75 S/A - Surplus

CZ SPO1 - IPSC

CZ P09 - Surplus

CZ P10c - Carry Gun / home SD gun

Tanfoglio Witness match - Surplus, however this can be used as IPSC as well, just not a Tanfo fan

SW Shield

Tanfoglio Witness match

PPQ-45

Honestly I'm thinking of going the Glock 19/34/43 route, and perhaps ditching .45 altogether.

Can I get your thoughts? I'm thinking that I could probably get 3K in trades or sales, buy the new stuff, and spend the 'profit' on trigger mods, etc...

OR is there a better way to do this? Keep in mind, the big appeal of going Glock is that (with a chopped G34) I could have ONE big box of G19 mags, instead of EIGHT different kinds...

Thoughts?

f

What I would do is listed above. Keep in mind that everyone’s preference is different, but for IPSC, I would definitely have the shadow SP01, I would not use the single actions for home or self defence as I would prefer the DA first shot. Just mo!

You will not be happy with that trade.  We just shot the area 6 match and there was a Glock sponsored side match.  I have shot my 2011 so long that i was gripping high and causing the slide not to cycle.  There is not one positive.  You will have to have after market barrel, guide rod, trigger, etc.  Why spend all that money on Tupperware?   If this were an intervention:  JUST DO NOT DO IT!

Before I started shooting USPSA I had a pretty eclectic collection of handguns: 45, 44, 10, 9, 38, 357, 22

When I started competing and reloading I eventually sold everything that wasn't 9mm or 22.  I currently have a handful of Production gun CZs and 9 major Open guns in the STI, CZ and Tanfoglio platforms and I'm thinking about consolidating further.

I agree with rowdyb - Shield, 10C, and Tangfolio 9.  I'd like to be able to simplify that much, or close to it.  After selling a dozen guns, I'm down to just two completely packed safes.  I think I need to sell a few dozen more.

I started all-glock (26/19/34)

Bought a variety of different guns. Shot a shield and 9L for M&P carry/comp for a while.

Then shot a Tanfo Stock 3 for most of 2017 in matches.

I wanted to streamline too. Sold Tanfo, 34, and M&P 9L... and now I have a Walther PPS, Walther 4” PPQ, and a Q5 Match.

I really like how much better it feels to carry something ergonomically identical to the gun I put all that dryfire time into.

I’m Walther from top to bottom and happy with it. (I have always bought my centerfire guns in 9mm only.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have too many guns. What should I do, should I sell some so i can yadda, yadda, yadda.......

I hate these questions. A pistol or rifle is a tool. How many auto mechanics do you know that have just a crescent wrench in their tool box and that's it? Answer: None. They are usually looking for more tools so they can do their job more efficiently.

And for the record, I hate Glocks and I have more than one, and none of them are for sale or trade.

My concern with too many guns is that I'm getting old and will never get to use them all.  I'm afraid that, if I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

1 hour ago, Almo said:

My concern with too many guns is that I'm getting old and will never get to use them all.  I'm afraid that, if I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Take a different and/or multiple guns to the range every time you go shooting.

As for your wife selling your guns for what you told her the price was, who cares. You’re already dead at that time so she can’t do additional harm :P:lol:.

I’m a Glock fan boy so I’m probably the wrong guy to talk about your CZs (though I do own a CZ rifle). I do like Glock’s interchangeability, back strap fitting system, and grip angle. I own a 43 but would suggest a 26 for carry. You might consider trading off your .45 for a G34 just to tip your toe into the Tupperware-pond to see if it’s a good fit for you or not. If you didn’t like it you could likely sell your 34 here for nearly what you have in it.