Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith Optics

Question, I am looking at getting another pair of shooting glasses and really like my old pair of Aegis Echo Elites. I was particularly looking at the below models but haven't been able to find many reviews (or even more pictures). Was hoping to get something to double as just regular sunglasses and biking glasses. Anyone with firsthand experience able to comment?

-chamber elite

-director elite

-pivlock v2 elite

-pivlock echo elite

-gray man elite

The gray man's look the most like sunglasses I'd regularly wear but the lenses are not interchangeable, they're more expensive, and the few pictures I've found of people wearing them make them look huge.

I have both the chamber and director with the ignitor lens. Big fan of Smith optics. These wear like regular sunglasses, but are spec'ed to the higher MIL standard. The ignitor works well at the range and in the woods on the MTB. Knocks down the brightness of the sun, but helps me see better. The Pivlock type glasses are going to feel more like a safety glass style as I prefer something with a frame. Do not be afraid to look beyond the elites as there are some great choices in their performance line. The other thing is the warranty, it is outstanding. No issues ever and a simple process.

i have the echo pivlok elite above.  nice glass but not something i'd wear around as regular sunglasses.  for uspsa and other handgun competitions they work great but for prone shooting (3 gun and PRS) they just seem to get in the way.

The differences in the Smith line are style and what size face they fit. The Chamber and Director fit well under muffs with out noticing them for the day. I prefer the ignitor for the range, it's not polarized.It's pretty superficial, pick one you think will fit your face and a style you think looks good and go with it. There really are no different levels to the glasses. Interchangeable lens' or not is one of the few.

I've been using Smith Optics for a few years now.  I have the Pivlock V2's and various other glasses.  They work well and came with extra lenses.  Fit well under muffs.  Pivlock V2 lenses are not as tall top to bottom as the Pivlock Echo's.  

The disappointing thing with the Elite Eye Pro line is that a lot are not available with the Chromapop lenses.  The Chromapop polarized in a brown tint lens gives really good contrast between brown cardboard and dirt berms.