Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expected Range at South Regional in Blakely Ga

I plan to go to the South Regional in Blakely GA on May19,20.  I want to try Heavy Metal Division, but my current red dot equipped 308 rifle can barely hit man sized targets at 300 yards with factory ammo (pencil barrel 308).  I could play with some better factory ammo and a scope to reach 400, but my access to a long range shooting area is really limited and the match is only a month away.

What is the max range and min target size we can expect at the regional?  I can always just default to Practical and shoot 223 to 500yds.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 4:30 AM, Jts2581 said:

I talked to the Match director about this match a few months ago.  They’re going out to 500 at this match.  Would def be a good one for a decent piece of glass.  

Awesome.  I can't wait!

I'm curious if the location is what is keeping people away from this match.  I noticed looking at the squad list that the match is only maybe 75% full.  The range is incredible.

Over the last few years there’s been a bunch of drama (for some ppl) surrounding 3 Gun Nation.  I’ve alwasy been a fan, and am a firm believer that 3GN has done more for 3 gun that any other brand or promotion.  However 3GN is coming back.  They threw on a killer Regional in FL earlier this year and there was a lot of good feed back going around.  So hopefully folks will keep going and bringing their friends. They always put on a good match with decent competition showing up.   Looking forward to the match.  It’s really their first true natural terrain style match. 

It is a very different style of venue than what has typically been a "3GN-style" venue.

The facility for this match is super-impressive with many opportunities for shooting out to well over 1000yds. The place is huge and has some really cool features too; jungle run areas, actual house that is used for stages/training, mock structure for breaching practice, there's water to shoot across, a tower of 4-5 containers, some 270-360 bays, etc.

One crappy feature of the area is a lack of places to stay and/or eat last time I was there.

Its a venue that would generally appeal to folk who like "Andy Horner-style" matches with big stages and lots of movement and long par times hosting a match put on by a group that has traditionally been focused on shorter, fast, bay stage matches with much shorter par times.

Venue for a "points" match by organization that generally prefers total time scoring...

On 5/11/2018 at 3:04 PM, RAZZ said:

Awesome.  I can't wait!

I'm curious if the location is what is keeping people away from this match.  I noticed looking at the squad list that the match is only maybe 75% full.  The range is incredible.

Not a 3GN fan.  Stages have historically been boring at a lot of matches, and yes the drama ^  If you knew everything out there you'd probably avoid it too.  So I'll keep my mouth shut haha  I do not disagree that 3GN was incredibly important for the growth of the sport and I think it's decline in recent years has also contributed to stagnant growth of the sport.  But, there's other awesome organizations out there so I intend to support them.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, bluedevil008 said:

Not a 3GN fan.  Stages have historically been boring at a lot of matches, and yes the drama ^  If you knew everything out there you'd probably avoid it too.  So I'll keep my mouth shut haha  I do not disagree that 3GN was incredibly important for the growth of the sport and I think it's decline in recent years has also contributed to stagnant growth of the sport.  But, there's other awesome organizations out there so I intend to support them.

Well that's too bad.  Oh well, already paid for.  I'll give you all a match report after the weekend.  Hopefully they will put on a good match.

Edited by RAZZ

1 hour ago, RAZZ said:

Well that's too bad.  Oh well, already paid for.  I'll give you all a match report after the weekend.  Hopefully they will put on a good match.

I hope it's a good match.  I have heard good things about how well the last couple of events were ran

Speaking of distance...I emailed the match director, but have not heard back yet.  Does anyone have any idea how far out they will be shooting at the long range side match?  It's not that expensive, and I'd like to do it, but I'm not sure I have enough gun for it.  I have a precision .223 AR with good glass that would get me comfortably out to probably 700, but I'm thinking, based on the range they have available to them, they might stretch it out closer to 1,000.

To echo what Tucker said this should be a great match based on the feedback that I heard from multiple shooters at the Florida regional this past Feb.  Tennille, Larry and Chris are great folks and I'm sorry that the dates didn't work out for me this year as I've shot 3GN matches the past three years.   Regarding drama there isn't a sport out there that doesn't have its share, for 3 Gun a lot of it is self induced by prima donna shooters.  The MD Larry is one of the nicest guys I know and his intentions are to put on the best match possible for the competitors. 

15 hours ago, sono said:

Just dive in and do it Friday.  It will be my first so we can laugh at each other and have fun doing it. 

Ryan 

Aw, what the hell.  Signed up.