Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best mounting position red dot

22 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I prefer closer to my eye. The dot seems easier to find then. 

Ditto.

I used to put them over the ejection ports, about where I do on my 5.56 rifles.  Then the backup sights fit right behind.  Since I don't use backup sights for a PCC, I moved them back to where the backup sights were and like the field of view much better.

Wow, guess Im odd man out.  As far away as possible.  Mounted as far forward on the receiver as possible.  Always found it was a better field of view cause whatever housing of whatever dot being used disappears and Im left with just an imposed dot on target.  In experimenting, I felt like I was seeing the housing more when it was mounted close. 

Edited by Hammer002

On my pistol, the dot is close to 2 ft. from my eye.

So I did it the same way on my AR15 pistol (not a PCC, put similar in size).  I mounted the DP Pro out on the free float tube to put it at about the same distance from my eye.

I don't really notice the frame/lens of the sight anyway.  Just where the dot it on the target.  It's a mindset/habit/perception thing.  With the DP Pro, I leave it "on" all the time.  No buttons to push/operate.  It's off, till I pick it up to use, then it's on.  Would be the same if I had put a dual illuminated RMR on it.

svAeNWbl.jpg?1

To get the best answer, you might want to have the folks include wnat type of dot they are using.  It’s likely the  trend will show that reflex dots are mounted closer and the tube style dots are mounted farther out to help diminish the image of the thicker frame.  

3 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

Wow, guess Im odd man out.  As far away as possible.  Mounted as far forward on the receiver as possible.  Always found it was a better field of view cause whatever housing of whatever dot being used disappears and Im left with just an imposed dot on target.  In experimenting, I felt like I was seeing the housing more when it was mounted close. 

You are not alone. I have the C-more mounted at the front of the receiver. It minimizes the stuff covered by the sight body.

I'm a forward mount guy myself.   We made our own 10" and 12" steel plates and also made stands and mounts and cut some 5' and 6' 2x4's to set up practice Steel Challenge.  We shot pendulum, 5 to go and roundabout last night after work.  Man the PCC is sure fun!  I also shot them with my SW22 victory.  Can't wait until Saturday for my first "official" Steel challenge match.  Shooting PCCO and RFPO.  

IMG_0205.jpg

8 hours ago, jkrispies said:

To get the best answer, you might want to have the folks include wnat type of dot they are using.  It’s likely the  trend will show that reflex dots are mounted closer and the tube style dots are mounted farther out to help diminish the image of the thicker frame.  

All of em same for me.  Aimpoint, Mro, and CMORE all as far forward as possible without being on the handguard.  Good point though.