Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

retro fitting an XDm for CO

Mcfoto

I'm thinking that with my old guy eyes, that CO might be in my future. I'd like to retro fit my 4.5 9mm that I used for Production. On the Springer Precision site, they say they are no longer doing this work as they found the slide on XDm's don't have enough "meat." Indeed, I shot with a guy this last weekend who had this done and his optic has come off the slide and hit him in the face. There seem to be deals on the OSP version all over the internet so I'm wondering if they had the same issue. Anyone else have any input?

• 3 weeks later...

I’m shooting a Glock with a FF3 and dovetail mount and haven’t had any problems so far. One e you get used to the height of the sight you’ll be fine. 

On 4/19/2018 at 9:18 AM, Loves2Shoot said:

The issue is the shape of the slide and the safety system for milling. The curve and the top makes it too narrow for many scopes. The dovetail mounts and OSP work fine.

The dovetail mounts on Brownell’s are back-ordered. Any other source?

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, armedmoose said:

Thanks, I was looking to see if anyone made a rear sight plate, converting my limited xdm to carry optics.

Remember if your xdm is a 5.25 a dovetail mount won't work and you will need the springer mount.  Good luck with the carry ops, i switched to it and within 2 matches switched back to limited, just not for me.  Another guy i shoot with switched a little before i did and took to like wildfire and was one of the reasons i tried it, so you just don't know till you try it

It's interesting to see one's own necro thread come back to life.?‍♂️

As a follow up, I decided to hold off. My gunsmith warned me that Springfield sights are bear to get off and he's had to resort to sawing them (which of course, destroys them). So the conversion would be quite a commitment, one I'm not ready to make yet. Like @RJH said, folks either try it and hate it or have a hard time going back. The Carry Optics division is growing like wild fire at the matches I attend.

My mtg plate came off twice. I found a GREAT Gunsmith in SW Ohio to secure the plate with 4 screws. He also left my XDM 5.25 rear site dovetail intact and to easily put back into production.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:07 AM, RJH said:

Remember if your xdm is a 5.25 a dovetail mount won't work and you will need the springer mount.  Good luck with the carry ops, i switched to it and within 2 matches switched back to limited, just not for me.  Another guy i shoot with switched a little before i did and took to like wildfire and was one of the reasons i tried it, so you just don't know till you try it

Noted thanks, and I am in need of the Springer mount.  I think I'll have fun with carry optics.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:32 AM, Joe4d said:

If your paying a gunsmiths rates to install, plus you are buying the plate,,, Your not far from what you could buy an OSP for.. I got one nearly brand new with 3 mags for $425 comes with all the plates plus a plate with a rear sight.

I got mine here for $412. I think I got free shipping but if not it's $10 for shipping. http://www.keelyarms.com/product_p/sa_xdm9459bhcosp.htm