Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting minor PF in L10

Clamper13

I recently got into shooting sports.  A sportsmans club 1 hour from home home has USPSA style fun shoots once a month.  At these fun shoots everyone is scored in the open division with major PF regardless of firearm type.  My last match I placed 33/113.  It has been a good way for me to learn more about the sport.  Now that I have a little experience I wanted to join USPSA to start attending actual events.

The problem I'm facing at the moment is that I've been using my CZ SP01.  I've modified the gun to SAO and removed the FPB.  Since that puts me out of production division I would have to compete in Limited 10.  So my question would be how much of a disadvantage would I be shooting minor PF?  I would assume I would need to make all "A" zone hits to be able to compete with everyone shooting Major.  I don't have another gun that would let me shoot in production (at least not anytime soon).

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.  This is my first post.

Meh. L10 is lame, but your biggest disadvantage is just being an inexperienced shooter. You'll be able to learn but obviously you have to get a real gun if you want to compete seriously.

You dont need to make all A's, but you do need to make mostly A's.

5 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Meh. L10 is lame, but your biggest disadvantage is just being an inexperienced shooter. You'll be able to learn but obviously you have to get a real gun if you want to compete seriously.

Eventually I will get something for production.  Hopefully I will be moving from CA in 2-3 years and heading to Idaho and I wont be restricted on types of pistols I can buy and mag limits.

51 minutes ago, Clamper13 said:

Eventually I will get something for production.  Hopefully I will be moving from CA in 2-3 years and heading to Idaho and I wont be restricted on types of pistols I can buy and mag limits.

you can only move here if you promise to vote republican and not drive like a dick.  ;)

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

you can only move here if you promise to vote republican and not drive like a dick.  ;)

LOL.  No problems there.  

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

I shot Limited Minor (BHP 9mm) for years.

LOTS of fun.    :wub:

I wasn't about to win anyway, but I really enjoyed it.

And, less money for ammo, more rounds in the gun and less recoil.

What's not to like ?

Just go do it and enjoy    :)   

The issue isn't how many A you shoot but rather how many C you shoot. 

Roughly you're at a 10% defficiet shooting minor in a division where major and minor both have to use the same amount of rounds.

13 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Roughly you're at a 10% defficiet shooting minor in a division where major and minor both have to use the same amount of rounds.

+1. When I jumped from Production (which is minor) to Limited major, I saw an almost exact 10% bump in my scores.

1 hour ago, Clamper13 said:

I appreciate the advice.  I think I will run what I have for my first year.  After that I might have more of an idea of what division I want to shoot and get the proper pistol.

Always a wise choice. The danger is once you see the choices in action, you may want to try ALL of them! If I was in a 10 Round State, I’d chose SS minor but since you already have a great gun, L10 it is. Once you get to Idaho, you may forget how to reload.

I won the South West Pistol League L-10 trophy shooting minor for a partial season while my 1911 (major) was getting some upgrades done, but the majority of the points came with my major gun.  It can be done, but you’d have to be very good to pull it off with minor only.  Having said that, if you’re just shooting for fun, who cares?  Shoot what you’ve got.  

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

In most matches I've been to the top production shooter beats the top L-10 shooter, so I would say in most cases the disadvantage can be offset with skill.

the top L10 shooter is usually either a noob with a weird gun, or an egregious hider. Only significant exception I have seen is Hopkins shooting L10 while waiting for his shadow 2 to be approved for production.

Only one match but last nationals of the top 20 in L10 8 were shooting minor.

I did 2nd place last year in Mississippi State L10 champs shooting minor. So It seems to be very shooter dependent at the lower skill levels. 

I'll be shooting my prod rig for my time at l10 nationals this year. BBUUTTT I'd much rather shoot major pf but I don't have a set up to do so. 

You have one of the best production guns already -- the SP01

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Change the trigger back so it fits in prod? It's an easy job.

FYI at this years Australian nationals my match score dropped 4% if I changed the scoring from major to minor. 84 extra points dropped over a 20 stage match.

13 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

You have one of the best production guns already -- the SP01

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish I got into competition shooting before I went SAO.  

I could always tell the wife that the parts to make a sweet production gun are cheaper than buying a new gun with all of the mags and holster.

59 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Its a trigger and a disco. Maybe $60.

Maybe another hammer. Youll get a 2nd hand one for peanuts on here. Lots of people change them out. 

I have a CGW production legal hammer installed.  I've also removed the FPB so that would need to be put back in.

18 hours ago, motosapiens said:

the top L10 shooter is usually either a noob with a weird gun, or an egregious hider. Only significant exception I have seen is Hopkins shooting L10 while waiting for his shadow 2 to be approved for production.

That's basically what I was saying I was just a little nicer by not saying noobs and hiders lol

I probably can't talk I'm going to shoot SS this year, that is a hider division too.

12 hours ago, Clamper13 said:

I wish I got into competition shooting before I went SAO.  

I could always tell the wife that the parts to make a sweet production gun are cheaper than buying a new gun with all of the mags and holster.

True.  You don't have the parts that were removed when you converted to SAO?  My rule has always been keep any serviceable part you remove from a firearm.  You can always sell it or give it away later.  You never know when you will need it again.