Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What difference in Practiscore on Android or Ipad?

KKi_ipscfin

If I was buying I would try and contact practiscore directly for advice, maybe they have this covered on their website.

Our clubs guru told me that their software development was done on the iPad and the rumor mill said it might be the best option for the long term. 

iOS apps are developed on an Apple platform, Android on a Android platform. I am guessing there is a fair amount of code sharing. I have used both and neither seems to have a huge advantage over the other from a scoring perspective. Contact euxx here on the forum as he is the android developer. As far as visibility, the Nook Simple Touch wins hands down but the display latency can really be distracting until (if) you get used to it. Strong sunlight is hard on iPad and Android. Hence, the invention of the "Practishade". Battery life and cost are probably the main issues.

25 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I like the iPad for a master. The check in feature is really nice.  I didn’t see that on the android tablets.  We use kindle fires for stage tabs. You can’t beat the price. 

Checkins had been supported on both ios and android for several months now.

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Contact euxx here on the forum as he is the android developer. As far as visibility, the Nook Simple Touch wins hands down but the display latency can really be distracting until (if) you get used to it. Strong sunlight is hard on iPad and Android. Hence, the invention of the "Practishade". Battery life and cost are probably the main issues.

Don't contact me on this forum - email support@practiscore.com

But if I were you, I would not invest into Nook devices. I don't know how much longer I will be able to support them. It is getting harder with every app release and at some point I will have to drop it and redirect my efforts to something more usable than supporting an over 10 year old devices, which have been discontinued by manufacturer several years ago.

The price for decent android tablets is ridiculously cheap. You can get 3..4 new Kindles for the price of a new ipad - so, the battery issue solved with backup devices. You can read my notes on Android tablets at https://practiscore.com/blog/android-tablets/

My personal favorite feature of PractiScore on Android platform is that you can sync (both from master and from scoring devices) without the need to unlock device and open PractiScore app to the foreground like you have to do with iOS. That's really handy when you range has wifi coverage and you can update competitors right from the stages without need to call someone holding master device.

5 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I was helping someone with a steel challenge set up last night and didn’t see it. I’m betting he’s got an old version of the app. I have to say that feature is awesome. 

Some people, especially those running Nook devices, are running 2 year old android app version.

There is nothing we can do about it.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:20 PM, euxx said:

Huh? Please do elaborate what is not friendly?

Friendly would be entering "Edit Shooters/Squads" then pressing "Sort" and picking "CheckIns" from the dialog...  It would show checked in and not checked in shooters in two groups (similar to the way choosing Squads shows the shooters grouped by squads).  Long pressing a shooter, or multiple shooters, that are not checked in would let you move them all the checked in.

Not friendly is entering "Edit Shooters/Squads" then pressing the magnifying search icon and typing different search strings to show checked in or not checked in shooters...  Then editing each shooter separately to move them from not checked it to checked in...  Then typing in another search string to see the list again.

The main difference between checkins and squads is that shooter can have only one squad but multiple checkins (including a "checked in" one, which can be deleted or replaced with something else). So, I just can't think how would you sort by multiple checkins.

I somehow missed to enable bulk editing of checkins when you tap and hold to select multiple shooters and then select corresponding action from the top menu. Will

But most users I've seen simply enable showing checkin checkboxes (from the checkins editing page) in the shooter list - usually sorted by squad and then can just check/uncheck corresponding checkin right from the list.

Also you can search by "checked in" or by "! checked in" to get list of corresponding checkins. Same works for divisions, categories, teams, regions...

22 hours ago, euxx said:

The main difference between checkins and squads is that shooter can have only one squad but multiple checkins (including a "checked in" one, which can be deleted or replaced with something else). So, I just can't think how would you sort by multiple checkins.

I somehow missed to enable bulk editing of checkins when you tap and hold to select multiple shooters and then select corresponding action from the top menu. Will

But most users I've seen simply enable showing checkin checkboxes (from the checkins editing page) in the shooter list - usually sorted by squad and then can just check/uncheck corresponding checkin right from the list.

Also you can search by "checked in" or by "! checked in" to get list of corresponding checkins. Same works for divisions, categories, teams, regions...

#1 - You could make CheckIns a separate, non user definable field that would let you use the drop-down menu to show them.

#2 - Thanks...  That will help.

#3 - I didn't notice the checkbox at the top of the page...  That helps...  Thanks!

#4 - Yes, I understand that...  But...  That is an awkward way to display the signed-in and not-signed-in users.

I am still puzzlled why you wanted to sort by checkedin? What is your use for it exactly and when?

During in-person registration it is more about finding shooter and checking him. Sorting by last name or a squad was more useful there.

It was 3 non editable fields. Some used one, some needed 5 different ones. So, having non-editable fields is a technical debt. With everything editable you can check for other things - door prise, tshirts, vendor package, club waiver, and so on.

And #4 and all other searches are not really about display, but about find and do something with them - like select them all and reassign to another squad.

16 hours ago, euxx said:

I am still puzzlled why you wanted to sort by checkedin? What is your use for it exactly and when?

I wanted to see checkedin and notcheckedin list in a split display like the displayusersbysquad display.

Alternately, and probably just as useful, would be to display notcheckedin and be able to select and move to checkedin or delete them.  Since you have agreed to add the multi-select feature, this will become possible.

We view the displayusersby menu selection to be used during match registration...  Display users by last name so you can find them...  Display by squad so you can tell who's shooting together...  etc.

We view the search terms to be more of an after-the-fact option used by the Stats Officer or a RangeMaster to analyze the match after it has been run...  Display DNFs to see who dropped out...  Display Edits to see who had multiple edits and follow up...

The displayusersby option is quick...  often used by a registration guy before the match...  The search terms are more of an investigative option...  You have time after a match to type in "Checked In" or "!checked in" or "Edits" or "DNFs"...  There are no shooters breathing down your neck as you try to type on a small tablet.

7 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I wanted to see checkedin and notcheckedin list in a split display like the displayusersbysquad display.

See above about by squad or by last name sorting vs checkins. At registration all is needed to find a person in a list and change some checkins. Normally there is no need to hide already checked in ones (I mean it doesn't really help anything).

Alternately, and probably just as useful, would be to display notcheckedin and be able to select and move to checkedin or delete them.  Since you have agreed to add the multi-select feature, this will become possible.

Right. And that is a one time operation and you have it already. Trough search. I know it is not a menu selection, but there is like 20 options to search by multiplied by number of checkins and other things - https://practiscore.com/blog/app-information/search-and-filtering/

I prototyped some completion/help popup to assist with the search, but it didin't work on Nooks, so I had to scrape it. Can't wait to discontinue support for those Nooks. Every release is getting harder to keep compatible with them and they are holding me back for implementing some other features

We view the displayusersby menu selection to be used during match registration...  Display users by last name so you can find them...  Display by squad so you can tell who's shooting together...  etc.

We view the search terms to be more of an after-the-fact option used by the Stats Officer or a RangeMaster to analyze the match after it has been run...  Display DNFs to see who dropped out...  Display Edits to see who had multiple edits and follow up...

The displayusersby option is quick...  often used by a registration guy before the match...  The search terms are more of an investigative option...  You have time after a match to type in "Checked In" or "!checked in" or "Edits" or "DNFs"...  There are no shooters breathing down your neck as you try to type on a small tablet.

That's it. To keep things simple, hiding/unhiding/searching any checkins is a one-time operation normally needed after registration is complete.

"I prototyped some completion/help popup to assist with the search, but it didin't work on Nooks, so I had to scrape it. Can't wait to discontinue support for those Nooks. Every release is getting harder to keep compatible with them and they are holding me back for implementing some other features"

With the development challenges and the low cost of Kindles maybe the time is now to stop supporting Nooks? Maybe set a date to give clubs that are using Nooks time to replace them if they want to stay current.

I dont know what the feature is called but at Nationals we got instant updates via practiscore competitor stage by stage.  I believe at the time that was an IOS only feature.  Is that on android now?  It was pretty damn cool. 

How does the check in feature work?  It would be great if you could have a tablet mounted on a stand so that a shooter could walk up and easily check themselves in by typing in their name or whatever, and it was locked to that checkin screen.