Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Trubor In 9mm Major Chambering

Adam B

I just bought a short chambered STI trubor barrel for 38 super and was wonding if I have it chambered in 9mm and it dosent work out (i.e.-if I run into some of the problems that have been talked about on this forum) can I have it rechambered to 38 SC later without any problems? I assume that it can be done but I thought I would ask to see if anyone has done this.

If you have the chamber reamed for 9mm it would not be a good idea to then have the chamber reamed for 38 Super due to the tapered 9mm case. The 9mm, 9x21, 9mm Largo, and 9x23 all offer the same base dimensions. The 9mm series base (not the rim) is approx. .010" larger in diameter than a straight walled 38 Super or variant of. Over the years I have watched shooters shoot 38 Super cartridges out of a 9x23 barrel, BUT, its not a good idea as the case has .005" of unsupported space around the base allowing for the possibility of a case blow-out.

the odd thing is that my SV factory 38 super will chamber the so 9mm and the 9X23..

judging by the way most high pressure 38 super brass looks after firing, i would say it was a safe bet to say that 90 percent of super chambers are cut for a cartridge with a 9mm sized case head.

this might make a neat poll, will your 38 super chamber take a 9mm factory round? if its cut as a true 38 super, it shouldnt...ive seen STI factory 38 supers along with my SV that WILL CHAMBER 9mms....

that being said, if it is a 9mm, you could probably ream it to 9X23 if you didnt like 9mm and still shoot super comps in it anyway.

who knows?

If a 9x23 chambers OK in a 38 super barrel, there is a problem with the 38 super chambering reamer that was used (or operator error). Yes, over the years I have accidently picked up 38 super brass, reloaded it, and then shot in in my 9x23. It works.....BUT.........the case base is now stretched out to 9x23 dimensions. On another note, persons who inadvertantly picked up my 9x23 brass and reloaded it, either experienced jams in their 38 super sizing dies or got jams (case not going into full battery.

However, a sloppy chamber ream job will fix the problem everytime.

i dont think SVI would like it too much if you called their chamber sloppy.

BTW 9X23 brass sized through my super dies STILL falls into the super case gauge.

I dont think there is a nickles worth of difference between the two...aside from the rim.

Benny:

The "Sloppy Reamer" job comment was not aimed at you. Please don't take it personally. There are a lot of shooters out there that believe the 9x23 and the 38 super are interchangeable (the same round with a different name). They are not. Go to Winchester's web site (if the data is still there) and take a look at the dimensional drawings for a 9x23 and 38 super. The 9x23 has a larger base (0.010") larger than a 38 super. From there the case tapers down to 9mm diameter. The 9x23 had three advertised advantages:

1. Due to the tapered case, once the empty case was pulled just a few back from the chamber, it is totally free, unlike a straight walled case.

2. The web at the base was much thicker allowing the 9x23 case to withstand far greater pressures than a 38 super case (upwards of 50,000PSI).

3. Being rimless, there was no chance of case rims overlapping causing jams.

I was one of the first to jump on the 9x23 bandwagon in the mid 90's and shot one in open for years. Great cartridge (except for the expensive brass).

9mm Largo cases offer the same dimensions as a 9x23. When 9x23 pistols were first starting to show up and 9x23 brass was not yet available, we used Largo brass. It was good for about 3-4 reloads before it started showing stress signs. A short while later, once CP and Winchester worked out their differences, Star started manufacturing 9 super comp brass which is in reality 9x23. Shortly after that, in a marketing fad, 38 super comp brass (38 TJ is another one, same thing, different name) was released and everyone shooting 38 supers changed their extractors from 38 super to 9mm. 38 super shooters wanted the advantage of shooting a rebated rimmed case.

and the rest is history......................................