Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady load data for 223 with 75gr BTHP & AR-Comp

DIYguy

When working up a new load I like to get a box of match grade ammo to match what I want to replicate. I picked up several boxes of Hornady Black 223 with 75gr BTHP and same for Hornady Match. Factory load states 2,790 fps at muzzle for both loads. I was getting about 100 fps less when tested but also shot at 38 degrees. Welcome to MN Spring.

I want to replicate these loads and I'm using Hornady brass, Hornady 75gr BTHP Match bullets, Federal Match primers and AR-Comp powder.

Typical rule of thumb for initial load is start at least 10% under max and work up. Hornady Manual Vol X has a max load of 21.7 and 2,600 fps which is already almost 200 fps under the Hornady factory load. I know the manual tends to be pretty conservative but my math says 23.8gr to hit 2,790 fps which is already two grains over max published.

Theses will be for my custom build with 18" barrel and 1:7 twist.

Anyone else using AR-Comp and what have you found?

Considering we had 14" of snow last Saturday and 40mph winds, finally made it out to the range to run some chrono tests yesterday (Sunday)

Did a test of Hornady Black 75gr BTHP rounds and then tested my batches. Surprisingly some of the better groups were with 21.0 grains and 23.5. Have to load another batch and test without the bayo attached to the barrel.

Forgot to enter the CBTO into the sheet but I was getting .007 variance load to load using Hoarnady Match Grade seating die.

Sheet attached.

Reloading Recipes-Rifle 223@75g 4-22-18.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

One key learning I had a while back when I was frustrated that my handloads were not matching the velocities in the reloading manual was the difference in the barrel length noted in the manual. Most 223 loads in my manuals were tested with a 24" barrel. I was testing with a 20" and a 16". 

• 3 weeks later...

I run AR-COMP for all my NRA/CMP service rifle loads, but I'm using a Nosler 77gr.  While, not a sub-MOA load, it shoots well enough for service rifle.  Netted me a 199-13X rapid fire sitting @ 200 yards during practice a couple weeks ago.

Nosler 77gr CC

22.4gr ARCOMP

CCI450 primer

USGI brass

2.26" OAL

FplNFaV.jpg

• 2 years later...

Not all rifle barrels are not the same, i own multiple rifles in 243 caliber, my custom barrels and my Sako A7 and Tikka T3 in 243 shoot on the average about 100 feet per second faster that my Remington and Ruger's with the exact same ammo all are very accurate. If you want load book velocities or better, use a better barrel or different load data, simple. ;o)

2 hours ago, Hogman said:

Not all rifle barrels are not the same, i own multiple rifles in 243 caliber, my custom barrels and my Sako A7 and Tikka T3 in 243 shoot on the average about 100 feet per second faster that my Remington and Ruger's with the exact same ammo all are very accurate. If you want load book velocities or better, use a better barrel or different load data, simple. ;o)

Ummm...

1) - Holy unhelpful necro-post Batman.

2) - Nope.

• 6 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 3:00 PM, DIYguy said:

When working up a new load I like to get a box of match grade ammo to match what I want to replicate. I picked up several boxes of Hornady Black 223 with 75gr BTHP and same for Hornady Match. Factory load states 2,790 fps at muzzle for both loads. I was getting about 100 fps less when tested but also shot at 38 degrees. Welcome to MN Spring.

I want to replicate these loads and I'm using Hornady brass, Hornady 75gr BTHP Match bullets, Federal Match primers and AR-Comp powder.

Typical rule of thumb for initial load is start at least 10% under max and work up. Hornady Manual Vol X has a max load of 21.7 and 2,600 fps which is already almost 200 fps under the Hornady factory load. I know the manual tends to be pretty conservative but my math says 23.8gr to hit 2,790 fps which is already two grains over max published.

Theses will be for my custom build with 18" barrel and 1:7 twist.

Anyone else using AR-Comp and what have you found?

What barrel length?   Are those Hornady 75bthp a superformance box.   I have several boxes, but haven't chrono'd any from barrel ranging from 11.5-24".   Like stated above the factory powder is probably different of what is out there too sell.

• 5 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 9:17 AM, SneakyPayload said:

For loading 77gr loads I’ve had the best luck with XBR8208. It’s probably one of the best temp stable 223 powders you can find. 

I know this was a necropost, but I just went through a ladder testing of XBR8208 and Hornady 75gr BTHP. I couldn't find much reference so I thought I would share mine:

Avg OAL Mfg # Type Mfg Type Grains Mfg Type Grains Velocity Stdev
2.255 Remington 7.5 Small rifle IMR XBR8208 21 Hornady BTHP Match 75 2481 35
2.255 Remington 7.5 Small rifle IMR XBR8208 21.5 Hornady BTHP Match 75 2538 36
2.255 Remington 7.5 Small rifle IMR XBR8208 22 Hornady BTHP Match 75 2522 67
2.255 Remington 7.5 Small rifle IMR XBR8208 22.5 Hornady BTHP Match 75 2566 22
2.255 Remington 7.5 Small rifle IMR XBR8208 23 Hornady BTHP Match 75 2625 28

I'm not sure what happened with the 22gr loads, but 22.5 is what I plan to load at. From my search, it seemed like most people were around 22.5-23.0gr.

4 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

23.4-23.6 is a known node with 77's and 8208. It shoots great in every AR I own and I know countless other people that use it as the go to default load.

Huh, interesting. Most of the things I saw with loads that high were shooting more long distance rather than 3 gun. But I guess why load that heavy of a bullet for hosing anyways.

14 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Huh, interesting. Most of the things I saw with loads that high were shooting more long distance rather than 3 gun. But I guess why load that heavy of a bullet for hosing anyways.

Well yeah, I would only use it for the longest of 3 gun stages or for recreational long range shooting. I'll usually only switch from 55's to 77's beyond 350 yards, maybe. I shoot 55's beyond 500 yards all the time and they're not as unusable as people seem to think they are.

2 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Well yeah, I would only use it for the longest of 3 gun stages or for recreational long range shooting. I'll usually only switch from 55's to 77's beyond 350 yards, maybe. I shoot 55's beyond 500 yards all the time and they're not as unusable as people seem to think they are.

Same! I've shot my 55s out to 300 yards without any issue (max range for me). I may try loading my 55s a bit hotter just to see if the long distance precision improves as my previous loads were chronoing around 2700, and it seems like most are loading in 2900s.