Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie .223 reloading questions

SlvrDragon50

2 minutes ago, George16 said:

I never had a problem with that method for the past three years I had been using my WFT in trimming my rifle brass. I have trimmed thousands of cases this way without any problems. You can even chuck it on a drill press like I had done without any problems either. 

By the way, the amount of shavings is not substantial to block the insertion of the trimmer. Besides, the shavings will just be ejected through the big holes on the side due to centrifugal force acting on them when the trimmer is rotating.

My .02.

I am not using a WFT, I am using a Giraud Tri-Way trimmer. They aren't going to block insertion of the trimmer, but it will affect the trim length.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Unfortunately you can't do that. You have to press the brass downwards into the trimmer so the brass shavings don't block the insertion of the shell.

Then blow off the shavings in between putting the brass in the shell holder. Have you even tried it?

Just now, George16 said:

Then blow off the shavings in between putting the brass in the shell holder. Have you even tried it?

Yes, the one time I tried doing it vertical, the shavings got caught. I have no interest in pursuing this route as it is strongly recommended against by Giraud. I trust Doug knows his products in and out and knows what's good for the product.

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2018 at 11:38 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

Yes, the one time I tried doing it vertical, the shavings got caught. I have no interest in pursuing this route as it is strongly recommended against by Giraud. I trust Doug knows his products in and out and knows what's good for the product.

Good thing George finally read the post and figured out you were using a Giraud instead of a WFT.  

SlvrDragon50, in case you hadn't tried this, I use one of those latex coated (not nitrile, those are too thin of a coating) work glove to handle the cases.  With the drill (or motor) vertical with the Tri way pointed up, I'll drop the case in, then press down on the case head with my palm.  That keeps the case from spinning (until the glove wears out) and puts all the downward force you need on it.  Rips through the case real quick and my fingers don't hurt anymore!