Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Off season helpful or not in skills?

BoyGlock

Ive read the pros advocate a month or so abstention from any gun related activity. Is this self imposed or forced upon by climate or other conditions that if given favorable circumstances would rather train year round? Which is most helpful skillwise?

The need for "self imposed abstention" won't vary by the month or season.

Might go 6 months and need a 3 month break, or go 17 months and need a

two week break.

So, self imposed breaks - Yes.   Seasonal breaks  -  No, unless necessary, but

not necessarily helpful - might even be disruptive    :) 

Ive been in this sport for 15yrs consecutive, and inspite of knowing said idea of abstaining for the better been training hard for same period w/o any break mainly because I started late at 43 and played catch up to younger shooters. But lately I feel extreme disenterest to training and matches that I had to force myself into them. Once Im in the range the feeling is gone but my interest is far from my usual. So I decided to take a break but barely a week into it and my habits began to badger me to train again but Im doing my best not to. Im damn if i do/dont situation w/c led me here to look for wisdom. 

We know that not training for some time will degrade our skills. They sayit will give you a refreshed outlook but then you have to start later at a lower level than your previous. So what ever gain there is could be negated. But in my case training w/ less focus and intetest will not gain much. So it might be best to take a break?

my opinion a break is good to keep you from burning out.  If training and matches stop being fun it's probably time for a break...why train and participate if you're not having fun?  Use the break to occupy your time with other things you enjoy.  And whatever skill gains you lose over a break you'll get back quickly once resuming training.  

22 hours ago, uewpew said:

my opinion a break is good to keep you from burning out.  If training and matches stop being fun it's probably time for a break...why train and participate if you're not having fun?  Use the break to occupy your time with other things you enjoy.  And whatever skill gains you lose over a break you'll get back quickly once resuming training.  

I hope its just a case of simple burn out and recover asap. Though I dont subscribe much to the fun factor. A lot of my training are not easy and fun but are necessary to be competitive. My shooting buddies though all younger could not cope w/ my regimen because mostly they were not fun and entertaining.

Im not a pro nor a GM but I love to compete the best I can be. I dont use my age as alibi or reason to do less. I train not just by motivation alone but mostly out of descipline. At my late age motivation wont be enough. 

Here in the Texas Gulf Coast area, the season can be 12 mos long.  Its great to be able to shoot year round but it can also be nice to take a break and do something else.  You know, something you really want to do.

This month I'm on a break and when I'm ready to get started shooting again, I hope I will be a bit revitalized and ready to push the envelope.

3 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Do you usually shoot thru the summer ?

Got a beach umbrella attached to my Rugged Gear cart and one of those cooling vests that looks like a flak jacket.  You know its hot when half the squad is sharing your umbrella. 

Summer is my best season.

50 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Do you usually shoot thru the summer ?

Here in the Philippines we only have dry n wet seasons so practically its a 12mo. shoot/match season. Yes its quite taxing if you go to all the major matches w/c are about two lev3/4 each month specially now that in addition to previously handgun only, we now have 3gun, 2gun, sg, and rimfire rifle added and bundled in a single match. I usually shoot 2-3 desciplines in a match. As much as Id love to shoot my stamina wont let me do all in a match. Of course I dont go to every match, I only shoot those that are reasonably near to my locale. 

In the last two major matches I attended nearby, I registered late coz I felt sooo lazy n disinterested that I just barely coaxed myself to go. 

i think the more years you have been shooting (or doing anything else seriously), the more you can benefit from a short break, especially if you use it for other constructive endeavors that will probably help your shooting. If you're still motivated to train and compete, well fine.... but lack of motivation is a pretty clear sign that you could use a break in order to continue getting better.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've got to move to the Philippines    :) 

:D its the result of 2 groups here competing for prime time. Personally Im not for it. We have a relatively small population of dedicated shooters so Im afraid not everyone could cope up. Also it could result to less quality matches. One or two every quarter I think is ideal. 

Ultimately, it really depends on what your goals are. If you compete as a hobby, then you for sure should take breaks whenever you feel like it. If you're doing it primarily for fun, it makes sense to take a break when it isn't fun.

If you're taking it seriously, I don't think an off season from all training is a good thing. When you're training to become great at something I like the analogy of the endeavor being like moving a gigantic pile of dirt. Some days you'll feel like you're using a shovel, some days you'll feel like you're using a spoon. That doesn't matter. The important thing is that you move a little dirt every single day. This is especially true on the days you don't want to do it.

I feel like an off season from competition makes sense because it provides you an opportunity to really push your limits in practice for an extended period of time. A lot of ground can be gained in that scenario.

14 hours ago, Jake Di Vita said:

Ultimately, it really depends on what your goals are. If you compete as a hobby, then you for sure should take breaks whenever you feel like it. If you're doing it primarily for fun, it makes sense to take a break when it isn't fun.

If you're taking it seriously, I don't think an off season from all training is a good thing. When you're training to become great at something I like the analogy of the endeavor being like moving a gigantic pile of dirt. Some days you'll feel like you're using a shovel, some days you'll feel like you're using a spoon. That doesn't matter. The important thing is that you move a little dirt every single day. This is especially true on the days you don't want to do it.

I feel like an off season from competition makes sense because it provides you an opportunity to really push your limits in practice for an extended period of time. A lot of ground can be gained in that scenario.

I would say a  hobby but seriously, that a 1 hr dry fire almost daily and 2x a week live fire on drills are normal to me. Its why its very difficult to take a break off of such routines.

Edited by BoyGlock

10 hours ago, Jake Di Vita said:

If it's very difficult to take a break, might as well get back to work.

Im w/ you. Been doing that until this hiatus But Im doing the opposite now trying something Ive never done before. Still remember years ago when my doctor told me to rest my elbows for a half year from shooting due to simul tendenitis on both. Got it from dry firing. The most I did was a week off. Succumbed to training w/ pain killers just to be better to compete. 

But w/ everyone’s inputs here I plan to cut short this break. Maybe just a week from now I will resume training. Im getting restless instead of rested. :(