Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longest COAL for a TSO?

wrx04

What is the COAL you run for .40 major in your TSO?

I'm developing mine right now, and it seems like everyone runs a bit short compared to the 2011 guys.  I’m using Bayou Bullets 180g over N320.  My initial load is 1.126”, but I think I may pull them and try a little longer.

Any tips/advice?

I can't speak for every gun but I am loading 1.160" +/-.005" and still have .015" of room in the magazine. Going from memory, ejected loaded rounds get hung up around 1.170". 

It's purely coincidence but one of the guys I shoot with has an identical load for his STI. Same length, charge weight, bullet, etc. 

Thanks guys.  That’s a great tip MRev!

i made some loads at 1.170 and they passed the plunk test and fit in the mags.....will have to see how they function.  They have only 3.7g of N320 under them, so will probably have to work up the pf eventually.

I made a video to help out another TSO owner regarding this.  The only thing that has changed for me since making the video is I use 180 gr Gallant Bullets now. I hope this helps. 

This is awesome. Thank you very much for sharing.

For my TSO I load Bayou 180gr bullets with 4.5gr of N320 or Prima V at 1.13 OAL.  I have chrono'd this recipe several times.  170-175 PF with SD <10.

I have put close to 10K rounds through the pistol with this setup and have not had any feeding or extraction issues what soever.

Edited by muncie21

I load to 1.126" OAL.  At this length, any bullet shape feeds 100%.  Another advantage is you use less powder to make a particular PF than you do with long loads.  There is absolutely no reason to load long for a TS or TSO, and several reasons not to.  I load a poly 180 over 3.7gr Alliant e3 for 172PF with SDs in the 4.8 to 7.5 range.

7 hours ago, muncie21 said:

For my TSO I load Bayou 180gr bullets with 4.5gr of N320 or Prima V at 1.13 OAL.  I have chrono'd this recipe several times.  170-175 PF with SD <10.

I have put close to 10K rounds through the pistol with this setup and have not had any feeding or extraction issues what soever.

Thanks! That’s almost the exact load I had initially.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

I load to 1.126" OAL.  At this length, any bullet shape feeds 100%.  Another advantage is you use less powder to make a particular PF than you do with long loads.  There is absolutely no reason to load long for a TS or TSO, and several reasons not to.  I load a poly 180 over 3.7gr Alliant e3 for 172PF with SDs in the 4.8 to 7.5 range.

Thanks!

What are the reasons loading long is bad? Inconsistent velocity/accuracy?

16 hours ago, MRevolutionIX said:

I made a video to help out another TSO owner regarding this.  The only thing that has changed for me since making the video is I use 180 gr Gallant Bullets now. I hope this helps. 

Awesome video.  Thanks man.

52 minutes ago, wrx04 said:

Thanks!

What are the reasons loading long is bad? Inconsistent velocity/accuracy?

I've had longer COAL rounds get hung up in the barrel.

Slide locks up with the gun juuust barely out of battery.  Absolutely sucks.

Another reason is when you load long you reduce pressure and velocity.  The powder does not burn as well and you get higher SDs.  To make up for that, you add more powder to regain the lost velocity and consistency.

You load long only to correct a feeding problem.  I don't consider 1.135" long, because it is the SAAMI OAL.  However, some bullet shapes did not feed as reliably at that length, so I went back to 1.126".

Both of my 40sw 2011 guns will feed ammo at 1.126", but only at around 99% reliable.  So I load them long at 1.180", just to make sure I get 100% reliable feeding.

I load at 1.135” for all of my 40 loads with 200 gn Blue Bullets, 4.1gn N320. Makes approximately 170pf out of my 2011 and TSO. It’s a soft, accurate load.

Even my Sig 1911 Max Michele loves the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Another reason is when you load long you reduce pressure and velocity.  The powder does not burn as well and you get higher SDs.  To make up for that, you add more powder to regain the lost velocity and consistency.

You load long only to correct a feeding problem.  I don't consider 1.135" long, because it is the SAAMI OAL.  However, some bullet shapes did not feed as reliably at that length, so I went back to 1.126".

Both of my 40sw 2011 guns will feed ammo at 1.126", but only at around 99% reliable.  So I load them long at 1.180", just to make sure I get 100% reliable feeding.

I chronographed .010 length increments from 1.120 up to 1.170 and recorded no meaningful difference statistically. All had the same relative velocity and accuracy. Velocities only began to change when I touched the end of the throat with the bullet. I chronographed  W231 and N320.

34 minutes ago, 858 said:

I chronographed .010 length increments from 1.120 up to 1.170 and recorded no meaningful difference statistically. All had the same relative velocity and accuracy. Velocities only began to change when I touched the end of the throat with the bullet. I chronographed  W231 and N320.

So what OAL do you run, 858?

This forum is awesome!  So much help.  

Shot the gun for the first time today.  Ended up going with the following load:

180gr Bayou

VV N320 4.0gr

1.135” OAL

.419 crimp

It shot well (100%) with the 20 rounds I loaded.  Recoil was minimal.  Might have to bump up the charge to make major, but I’ll do that when I have a chrono.  Zero signs of over-pressure despite being near max load published by VV.  Great shooting pistol!

Thanks for all the help so far.

On 4/16/2018 at 5:04 PM, 858 said:

That's a great idea.  Like a ladder, but instead of powder charge, you're adjusting COAL.  

Gonna have to try that.

I load out to 1.135 for a CZ CTS.  Works fine and never had an issue.  I’ve loaded longer out to 1.15, but those rounds looked to be too tight inside the mag tube for 100% realibility.  Asking for trouble IMO.  I never had a problem at that length of 1.15, but didn’t shoot many to find out. I’ve shot mostly Berry’s 180gr FPRS and Precision 185gr.  

Edited by nutzach