Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Revolver officially dead

mwx40x40

USPSA threw revo under the bus when they started allowing 8 shot minor guns in order to comply with the 8 rounds per view criteria. 

If if they wanted to keep Revolver alive, they would have created a second division: 6 round capacity, and speedloaders. Doing such would allow the countless number of 6 round 357/38’s in the world a place to be competitive. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, HCH said:

USPSA threw revo under the bus when they started allowing 8 shot minor guns in order to comply with the 8 rounds per view criteria. 

If if they wanted to keep Revolver alive, they would have created a second division: 6 round capacity, and speedloaders. Doing such would allow the countless number of 6 round 357/38’s in the world a place to be competitive. 

Are you proposing we should divided up the smallest division into even smaller groups? Maybe we could split L10 into stainless steel and carbon based guns to improve the attendance in that division. Where I was when the change to 8 happened we saw an increase in revolver attendance because some ICORE and Steel shooters already had a gun that could be competitive without any additional investment. I think those who shoot revolver do it because they love it and the other simply will never get it. 

Lee

And what is not to love about always finishing first in your division?:roflol:  Just playing, I am a shoot what you like guy, I just also happen to be a 1-4 divisions is enough guy too, but that is another thread

It kind of is. It is almost like in every other division, you shoot and take a second here or there and reload. In revolver you plan and plan and plan and have to execute because it isn’t uncommon for a single shot needing to be picked up to throw off an entire stage. Reloading becomes so important it is almost as if the actual shooting becomes secondary.

If revolver is not dead in USPSA, then what do y'all consider dead?  People talk about L10 all the time and it seems to have way more shooters than revolver.  I hate repeating myself but .24%, that is right, less than a quarter of one percent representation at an area match, if that is not dead, what is?  If any other division had this much of a consistently low turnout, would you not say that it is dead?  Last years revolver nationals had 80 shooters, that is less than 2 per state, at nationals!!!

I am not trying to get anyone to stop shooting their revolvers or get rid of revolver division, but is a couple of shooters per state enough to keep it going?  Unhook emotionally, and answer the questions logically and see what you come up with

Depends on what you call “competition”. Like it was pointed out to me by a wise (and yes, revolver) shooter at out monthly match, the first place shooter and the last place shooter still pays the same for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. We don’t even have ribbons any more. Shoot what you like and see how you stack up against similarly-equipped shooters. That’s why there’s divisions. For more than a year, I was the 1st place Senior Production D competitior. Sometimes the only one one but hey, it’s enough to keep me coming back. Sometimes that’s all there is...

OMG!!! G.A.S. I have developed it in the last year!!!  I've been buying guns to use in different divisions and then not going to matches.

I must go to my local support group soon.  Pick a gun/division and shoot.  I know I can overcome!!!

9 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

It kind of is. It is almost like in every other division, you shoot and take a second here or there and reload. In revolver you plan and plan and plan and have to execute because it isn’t uncommon for a single shot needing to be picked up to throw off an entire stage. Reloading becomes so important it is almost as if the actual shooting becomes secondary.

So is it LITERALLY a reloading competition?

10 hours ago, RJH said:

If revolver is not dead in USPSA, then what do y'all consider dead?  People talk about L10 all the time and it seems to have way more shooters than revolver.  I hate repeating myself but .24%, that is right, less than a quarter of one percent representation at an area match, if that is not dead, what is?  If any other division had this much of a consistently low turnout, would you not say that it is dead?  Last years revolver nationals had 80 shooters, that is less than 2 per state, at nationals!!!

I am not trying to get anyone to stop shooting their revolvers or get rid of revolver division, but is a couple of shooters per state enough to keep it going?  Unhook emotionally, and answer the questions logically and see what you come up with

80 shooters. Which is more than Carry Optics or L10 had. PCC only had 82.

Look at the numbers all you want. I've been shooting USPSA Revolver for 5 years. In that time we have seen a completely new revolver division take off. New gear, new faces, and new people winning. People don't shoot revolver because it's hard. You don't see the top auto pro's dipping their foot in our pond because it's hard. We don't have spare rounds, we don't have easy reloads or triggers. 

I hear all the time that revolver must be easy to win because theres there's hardly anyone there. Out of the 1500 people that shot the World Shoot, only 70 shot revolver- because it's hard. It's really that simple, it takes a separate set of skills to manipulate the gun, and you have to shoot much cleaner than the other divisions to have a "competitive" (relative to other divisions) score. AKA- harder than grabbing a PCC with dot and huge mag. 

1 hour ago, HCH said:

So is it LITERALLY a reloading competition?

No. It used to be with the 6 major guns. Now it's more of a "shooting perfect" competition. Have to do a reload where you only needed 8- game over on the score card. 

12 minutes ago, MWP said:

No. It used to be with the 6 major guns. Now it's more of a "shooting perfect" competition. Have to do a reload where you only needed 8- game over on the score card. 

That is how I feel as well.  To win in revolver you can't screw anything up.  One botched reload or Mike can mess up an entire stage.

20 minutes ago, MWP said:

80 shooters. Which is more than Carry Optics or L10 had. PCC only had 82.

Look at the numbers all you want. I've been shooting USPSA Revolver for 5 years. In that time we have seen a completely new revolver division take off. New gear, new faces, and new people winning. People don't shoot revolver because it's hard. You don't see the top auto pro's dipping their foot in our pond because it's hard. We don't have spare rounds, we don't have easy reloads or triggers. 

I hear all the time that revolver must be easy to win because theres there's hardly anyone there. Out of the 1500 people that shot the World Shoot, only 70 shot revolver- because it's hard. It's really that simple, it takes a separate set of skills to manipulate the gun, and you have to shoot much cleaner than the other divisions to have a "competitive" (relative to other divisions) score. AKA- harder than grabbing a PCC with dot and huge mag. 

Whatmakes a division hard is not the equipment used but the competition you are shooting against.  L10 is a dying division too and carry ops seems to be growing rapidly, PCC will probably end up being huge, and none of them had a stand alone nats, did they?  They might have, I cant remember.  I think people don't tend to dip their foot in the revolver pond cause initial expense is huge and the competition in small, but oh well

Has that part ever really changed? When it was 6, you could still shoot 5. Not that it is 8 you can still shoot 6/7. For that matter didn’t one botched reload blow a stage before and in pretty much any division, just like one unseated primer or one mental mistake. It is a sport of reliable gear, mental focus and fundementals. Take away any of those legs and the table falls.

It is as if after 20 years of one specific model dominating, a different model took its place and everyone acts like it is some drastic conspiracy and there wasn’t tons of discussion ahead of time in the revolver forum and that most thought that was the next evolution to save/improve the division. 

As a veteran with an elbow related disability, I couldn’t shoot a 6 major gun and before rule change I was I made B and almost A shooting a 6 shot minor 610. At every match, regardless the discipline, I am not looking for trophies or national stats - I am there to challenge the level of preparedness I show up with within the construct of this sport we all enjoy. 

Lee

11 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

Has that part ever really changed? When it was 6, you could still shoot 5. Not that it is 8 you can still shoot 6/7. For that matter didn’t one botched reload blow a stage before and in pretty much any division, just like one unseated primer or one mental mistake. It is a sport of reliable gear, mental focus and fundementals. Take away any of those legs and the table falls.

It is as if after 20 years of one specific model dominating, a different model took its place and everyone acts like it is some drastic conspiracy and there wasn’t tons of discussion ahead of time in the revolver forum and that most thought that was the next evolution to save/improve the division. 

As a veteran with an elbow related disability, I couldn’t shoot a 6 major gun and before rule change I was I made B and almost A shooting a 6 shot minor 610. At every match, regardless the discipline, I am not looking for trophies or national stats - I am there to challenge the level of preparedness I show up with within the construct of this sport we all enjoy. 

Lee

Very well stated!   Most of us will never make a living shooting a gun,  the satisfaction we get is the competition from within.  As our skill level grows we are competing with ourselves trying to perform at our personal best for the entire event.  Identify our weaknesses, and work to make them a strength.  Revolver is like any division with its own skill set.  Those who enjoy it, love it.  Same as open or any other division.   It's popularity will rise and fall and rise again and again  just all the others.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 10:37 PM, MWP said:

Have you tried an 8 shot gun? Makes the game so much more enjoyable. 

Not to everyone. To me an 8 shot revolver takes away the whole point. 

On 5/11/2018 at 4:24 PM, cas said:

Not to everyone. To me an 8 shot revolver takes away the whole point. 

I don’t understand these kinds of comments? 6 was good but 8 defeats the whole point? Shoot 5 then - that must even more of a point.

I wish people would say what they really mean, “I had a 6 shot and kinda shot revolver, then the division adapted, I was stationary and didn’t want to and now I have a modified gun no one else wants and can’t sell it and don’t want to invest in an 8 shot so I will act like I am too much of a purist and it is beneath me.”

I get it, in a lot of way I am just like that in fact and resist change, I still ride a motorcycle with a kickstarter, points and carburetor, shoot trap with a Spanish side by side from the 60s and insist no good movie or car has been made in my lifetime.

but... the division isn’t going back. Away maybe, but they aren’t likely to undo the 8 shot. Some didn’t like the change and took their ball and went home, some loved it.. for me, revolver saved my interest in all shooting sports together. Differ strokes for different folks I suppose.

Edited by RevolverJockey

I don't see the point of shooting an 8 shot revolver. People wanted to reload less. Then why the F' would you shoot revolver?  To me the whole point of the game was all the extra reloading! 

Want 8 rounds, shoot single stack. ;) There are people who do things for the added challenge. Single stack is far and away my worst division, the reason I shoot it more than any other now (now that I gave up revolver)

(I haven''t given up revolvers, I have dozen of them and shoot them more than anything else.) :) 

3 hours ago, cas said:

I don't see the point of shooting an 8 shot revolver. People wanted to reload less. Then why the F' would you shoot revolver?  To me the whole point of the game was all the extra reloading! 

Want 8 rounds, shoot single stack. ;) There are people who do things for the added challenge. Single stack is far and away my worst division, the reason I shoot it more than any other now (now that I gave up revolver)

(I haven''t given up revolvers, I have dozen of them and shoot them more than anything else.) :) 

I see this in 3gun with shotguns.  3gun shotgun is more about reloading than it is shooting.  For those who have invested time in learning to reload their shotgun, or 6 shot revolver, THAT becomes the game.  That's fine, I'm glad they are having fun, it just isn't for me, I enjoy the shooting part more.

When I shoot my 8 shot gun, I shoot almost every round I put into it. With the 8 round arrays nearly every miss is a standing reload.

When I shoot my 6 shot revolver, I find myself dropping more loaded rounds on the ground over the course of a match. So in other words, I have more extra shots available to me.

The 8 round guns are faster through most stages, but you need to make every round count. This changes the game from a reloading race to a game of perfection, both are fun.