Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Revolver officially dead

mwx40x40

they may not survive in competitions simply because the rules
do not favor their use.  

miranda

That’s true. I for one hope that the rules will once again be more inclusive. They’ll always have a home at ICORE at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s true. I for one hope that the rules will once again be more inclusive. They’ll always have a home at ICORE at least.

Guys guys , things could be worse . You could be lefty and shoot revolvers , ask me how I know [emoji12]

4 minutes ago, Scootertheshooter said:

things could be worse . You could be lefty and shoot revolvers  

No ambidextrous controls on revolvers ?    :D

Heard about a cop who was retiring, and mentioned the

"safety" on his service revolver ....    :rolleyes:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

USPSA appears to be about the latest, greatest and fastest.  I am a neophyte, as I've only been shooting USPSA since 2013.  I was a cowboy action shooter who enjoyed Wild Bunch more than regular cowboy and got invited to a USPSA match.  I really liked it, but hated watching my brass fly away, never to be seen again... so I bought a 625.  My packin pistol had been a Blackhawk in 45 colt/45 acp.  It was ( is) a stone reliable powerful tool.  The 625 allowed me to have up to Tier 2 power , the same level of reliability, no brass loss and moon clip reloads.  Its honestly an awesome lower 48 packin pistol which meets all my needs... hunting, predator/varmint ( bi or quadraped)  control and as reliable as any machine can be. I happily shot that in USPSA until 2015, when I got a 627--- which meets all the same needs, but with 8 rounds--- its killed everything from chicken thieves, 'yotes, large hogs and one rampaging creature well over 600 lbs--- a 160 grain WFN at 1380 fps is a no nonsense, ear ringing  stopper...  or a 150  rn at 860 in SC cases is a great USPSA round.

USPSA is a game and its evolution will always lend itself to technology.   I shoot revolvers because they meet all of my needs and any time I shoot its symbiotic practice for real world or competition... 

However, the game is not based on practicality, but speed, volume and flash... revolvers are limited in this arena in all those areas...

In (my) real world they fit all of my needs and then some...

Plus, its fun to compete against star wars blasters and be respectable....

Plus, a Rossi 92 in 357 with an aperture is a great friend for a 627....

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

1 minute ago, EEH said:

If as some say Revolver is not dead,,try and sell one of those $1000.00 Smith & Wesson 625 you had built for that division..

Or a .40 caliber open gun.

Or 38 super 1911s

Or whatever other gun for a division has evolved. 

What's the point ? 627s/929s new hotness. 625s old hotness. 

42 minutes ago, EEH said:

If as some say Revolver is not dead,,try and sell one of those $1000.00 Smith & Wesson 625 you had built for that division..

Ok you win. Revolver division is dead. Find another forum to be negative and leave us dead division loving folks alone. 

I'm enjoying this thread...

Do any of you other revolver shooters have zero interest in the auto divisions? 

Last time I shot limited with an automatic I found it boring.  I've tried all of the platforms and enjoy revo the most.  My open and L10  classifiers were shot with a revo,  same with most all of the LTD ones.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan454 said:

Last time I shot limited with an automatic I found it boring.  I've tried all of the platforms and enjoy revo the most.  My open and L10  classifiers were shot with a revo,  same with most all of the LTD ones.  

I wouldn't say zero interest. But maybe 1% interest just to see how I would do.

I shot my 617 at the last Steel Challenge Match and shot my fastest time to day.  I just enjoy shooting revolvers.  Trigger feels right to me and my timing is better than with the auto's.  I had to give up centerfire guns but am really enjoying the .22s.  I'm glad I kept my 617.

Somewhere in the back of my safe you can find a very nice PCC, CO, SS, and a new limited 40, each have only been out of the house once this year, my revolvers get exercised weekly and are now packed in the car for the trip to Mesquite where over 100 shooters will assemble. Are revolver dead, not by a long shot, in fact a new shooter attended a practice session with a few of our  local revolver shooters and will begin shooting a revolver when his new holster arrives.

I shot some limited, but found it boring.  I enjoy Single Stack, and I admire a 1911.  Perhaps its the fact it was the last issued horse cav side arm (take that Poncho Villa), its long history or it shoots the same ammo as my 1917 Smith with a 50K serial number ;)!  I prefer the challenge of limited resources and started shooting revolver in uspsa so I could get my brass back. I try and get excited about anything other than a revolver or to a lesser degree a 1911 and just can't.  I also find the utility of most autos to be limited ( field carry etc).  The exception would be a G20/40 in or a 1911 in  10mm... but I trust my 610 more and moon clips don't get tired like springs... so I sold the G20 and all the extended mags, 40 bbl etc...

I have  a dual bbl 40/10mm 1911 out being fit and optimized for function, but I'll never trust an auto as much as a revolver.   An 8 shot major  revolver would, IMO, put a 627 on equal footing with a 1911.  Major would be easy to reach within SAAMI specs even in shorter cases with heavy bullets... but I doubt that will happen...

The scuttlebutt is that SS is dead, too.  I guess I'm a dinosaur...

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

15 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

I bought a CZ Custom Shadow and have it set up for carry optics.  Big change.  Going from 8 rounds to 23 round mags makes the game much easier.  The red dot is a huge plus  for my 66 year old eyes.  It's a nice change of pace and I'm enjoying it.  I'll still pick up the revolver from time to time...

I too, like where this thread is going. 

Of course, I shoot a bottom feeder in USPSA. It seems to me the proper tool to play that game. At one time, I entertained getting an 8-shot so I could shoot wheelie there, but I've realized I've got enough challenges in my technique. Like mentioned above, I prefer shooting revolver. The experience seems to be more "genuine" to my senses. Maybe too much Bonanza and Gunsmoke in my youth. But as I've complained before, even ICORE has made shooting a 6 a challenge. But not un-surmountable. For now, I'm sticking with semi for USPSA and my 6-shot in ICORE classic.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, RJH said:

Shooting revolver in USPSA is only slightly more fun than getting kicked in the nuts

I tell one club member that his continuing insistence that his shooting buddy shoot revolver with him on Thursday nights amounts to emotional abuse.

But actually I like watching them shoot their revolvers, they do pretty well.

I guess the gun mags haven't figured out that the revo is dead yet. Not to mention the 1911! Lots of articles and tests showing up on both recently.

Guess the manufacturers and the R&D departments haven't figured it out yet. Lots of new and improved models from lots of companies... High end, low end, performance, carry, and accessories too.

Guess the shooters haven't figured it out yet. Still showing up. Still buying. They even have National and World records for revolvers now!

Guess it's only the ones that don't want to / need to put in the extra work to get really good at revolver. The ones who can make GM with their .22 rifle. The ones with all the answers... They have it all figured out.

I have a dead gun prediction: I predict that the Spencer Carbine is DEAD!!

On 4/24/2018 at 7:56 PM, RJH said:

Shooting revolver in USPSA is only slightly more fun than getting kicked in the nuts

Your opinion was asked for, so I harbor no ill will for you responding.

Obviously revolvers aren't for you.

I've been shooting and competing for over 40 yrs and still I enjoy shooting revolvers.

Most bottom feeder shooters don't have the patience to actually learn how to shoot a revolver, as it takes skill.

Skills that would make Most bottom feeder shooters better shooters,  if they learned to master a wheel gun before going off and buying the latest bottom feeding blaster and becoming a spray and pray zombie.

Look at the master shooters and see where they started out. They earned their titles, they didn't buy them, as most shooters nowadays seem to think they can.

I went to some USPSA matches and could've made a mint if I sold rags to wipe the tears that the grown men were crying when they realized that they were just like everyone else !

That's not fun in my book.

SJC

2 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

I tell one club member that his continuing insistence that his shooting buddy shoot revolver with him on Thursday nights amounts to emotional abuse.

But actually I like watching them shoot their revolvers, they do pretty well.

The fact that I no longer shoot revolver in USPSA doesn't mean that I hate revolvers or anything like that.  I was just giving my opinion, if other people want to play Rochambeau they can have at it haha

1 hour ago, shoots100 said:

Your opinion was asked for, so I harbor no ill will for you responding.

Obviously revolvers aren't for you.

I've been shooting and competing for over 40 yrs and still I enjoy shooting revolvers.

Most bottom feeder shooters don't have the patience to actually learn how to shoot a revolver, as it takes skill.

Skills that would make Most bottom feeder shooters better shooters,  if they learned to master a wheel gun before going off and buying the latest bottom feeding blaster and becoming a spray and pray zombie.

Look at the master shooters and see where they started out. They earned their titles, they didn't buy them, as most shooters nowadays seem to think they can.

I went to some USPSA matches and could've made a mint if I sold rags to wipe the tears that the grown men were crying when they realized that they were just like everyone else !

That's not fun in my book.

SJC

If you read the OPs post he talks about the Area 6 championship having a .24% revolver showing, that is pretty much dead in USPSA.  Also I took the OP to be talking about USPSA, not any other competitions, I have no experience with any other formal matches using a revolver other that 1 or 2 IMSHA matches.  I like revolvers fine and shoot them ok too, but most people are going to buy a plastic gun and rig for well under a grand and probably less than half the cost of a revolver that will have a better stock trigger, and after a little trigger work be able to shoot box ammo instead of  crushed primer federal only handloads.   When they can do that and end up higher in the overalls, that is what they will do.  I know we don't look at overalls, but we do, so no since acting like we don't.

All guns take skill to shoot well, you are not one of those guys that say "if I had an open gun I could shoot like that too" are you, cause it don't work that way.

I don't know any master shooters that didn't earn their M card, well maybe one but we all know someone like that.

I am not sure what you are getting at with you last comment, so I have no comment on it :-)

Hell, Jerry don't even shoot revolver nats anymore, what more proof is needed that revolver is dead in USPSA

PS, IDK what any one shoots, and I like revolvers just fine, just not for USPSA.  That doesn't mean that others shouldn't, maybe they like getting kicked in the nuts :-)

On 4/24/2018 at 9:44 PM, RJH said:

I have not.  I actually considered it (brain damage flaring up) but the lack of any competition, the high cost of entry , and the lack of competition kills it for me.  I just went to back to limited, that is by far the biggest division in my area and will probably stay there

The lack of competition is the down side of Revolver, SS and L10, yet each is fun in it's own way.

But more than a few also bemoan the loss of the pre-90's when everyone shot heads up, no Divisions at all.   

I say enjoy what you wish, but I can't find it in me to dis anyone's choice of toys to play this game.  I like them all.

9 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

The lack of competition is the down side of Revolver, SS and L10, yet each is fun in it's own way.

But more than a few also bemoan the loss of the pre-90's when everyone shot heads up, no Divisions at all.   

I say enjoy what you wish, but I can't find it in me to dis anyone's choice of toys to play this game.  I like them all.

I agree 100% 

I would also be more than happy to shoot heads up, and I would still shoot a limited gun.  I shot SS for quite a while and really enjoy L10 with my SS gun, but like revolver there is just no one shooting it around here.  People will switch up a little but in my area there is limited, some open and everyone else, we don't really even have production shooters.  And I wasn't really dissing, more like funning, I know it don't always come across on the internet :-)  But all that said, I think there will probably always be a revolver division, but very few shooters, I mean .24% of an area match, that is pretty sad.    I guess for me personally, I like to shoot against other people, and that just don't really happen with revolvers in USPSA anymore. 

I hope it's not dead. I am just starting out with competition and have been completely a CZ guy until a few months ago when the revolver bug hit.

I now have a 929 ... well because my local active club is USPSA, so I should have that to start.

Then I got a 625 PC, because ICOR happens once a while around here and everyone should have a six-shot revolver ... right?  

Oh and a 617, so I can practice trigger control with a revolver without counting how many cents per trigger pull (of course not thinking about the cost of the first two purchases and supporting gear!!!)

And I have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a common saying in photography, haven't heard it here), so maybe I should add to the collection .. a 327 for Steel Challenge ???

AS a newbie into the competition world, it does seem counter-intuitive that the more "reliable" revolver takes more effort and investment to have an equal level tool then in the semi-auto world. Yes, it is the operator, not the tool that dictates the outcome, but let's face it most people want a straight swinging hammer to hit the nail. From the CZ world, I can go buy a CZ Shadow 2 for $1,100 and be at the top of the production division, equipment wise. With A revolver that leaves me with a mediocre trigger, investment in moon clips, expensive loaders for the moon clips, moon clips to match brass, and you likely will not be buying ammunition so you are into reloading. When I first started down this path I figured that buying a Smith and Wesson PC revolver was like buying a CZ Custom Shop piece ?.Buy it an be done ...  Not even close! 

So it seems like a steep learning (spending) curve to get going in the revolver class. There does seem to be a purity to the operation of the revolver vs the semi-auto and that is what has drawn me to it. I know that if I can become proficient at competing with a revolver, my ability with my semi-auto will improve. Not sure about the other way around.I have learned more about trigger control using a revolver than with my loved CZ's. And due to the smaller numbers of people, I have quickly met a great group of people, by just having an interest in revolvers, that have graciously given me knowledge, there time, and a commitment to getting me up to speed. 

So I hope it isn't dead. I think that for complete beginners the revolver has some benefits, except for reloading. No racking, or decocking, or full decocking vs half decocking, or safety swipes. Loading 18 rounds and dropping once and finishing the stage is convenient.

If the cost and ease of entry were better, maybe there would more new participants going into revolvers. I know that I will be doing my part to make sure that whenever there is a chance to get someone interested in revolvers, I will do everything I can to help. People in my area have helped me (are helping), and I will do the same. 

Maybe revolver shooters are just a more enlightened group, and the masses may eventually understand this. So not dead, just selectively refined?