Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Revolver officially dead

mwx40x40

1 hour ago, StuckinMS said:

There was only 1 lonesome revolver at the Area 6 Championship this past weekend.   And it was not me.  I shoot single stack when i need to  punish myself.

Better than none. 

All the Area matches seem to have a pretty small representation from Revolver shooters, but ICORE Regionals seem to be doing just fine. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In USPSA?  No.  

However, I have an old 686 that I'm eventually going to use in Steel Challenge, but it's pretty close to the bottom of my priority list.  A moon clipped 625 is definitely on my gun bucket list.  It just feels like getting into revolver should be a lot less expensive than it is.  

Having said all of that, there's a part of me that would love to just go for it in Steel Challenge Revo Irons with a 5 shot BUG gun, because making GM with that would be the ultimate baller accomplishment.......

I have a couple L frame 6 shots with speedloaders. I only shoot them in ICORE matches. I seem to have a much harder time on moving targets compared to with a semiauto. Challenging and fun. I enjoy shooting my 1911 to much to dedicate a year or more of just revo although it would help me improve.

This is kinda of like the Harley question.

you know!

" If you have to ask, you won't understand!"

PS

Not dead in our section

Good following of 35 or so shooters at ICORE aand some 2-5 at some matches, yes most shoot auto's also so it is not consistent match to match.

11 hours ago, MWP said:

Better than none. 

All the Area matches seem to have a pretty small representation from Revolver shooters, but ICORE Regionals seem to be doing just fine. 

We have 4 guys at our local matches that are regulars at revolver.  It looks fun actually,  I just can't fund one.  

11 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

I've been to several club matches where Revo had more shooters than SS, Open, or L10.  Most matches I've been to lately are filled with PCC, CO, and Limited shooters.

Oh for sure, but usually it's me and my friends. :lol: I've only ever seen one Limited 10 guy ever, and occasionally I see 1 or 2 SS guys. Two clubs I go to seem to shoot all Open, including 1 GM and 1 M, and then the other club I go to has a ton of Production dudes including 1 GM. I don't often see Limited, now that I think about it. Makes me wonder if people change division based on what seems to be the most competitive or if there are any high ranking shooters there.

The biggest revo turnout I've seen at a local match was 4. I could probably scare up a few more depending, people usually come up and talk to me about how they sometimes shoot revolver, and I get their contact info. Maybe I'll send out a blast on social media getting people to shoot some locals with their wheelguns.

For me, I've been pretty passive about revo; people always approach me. But sometimes I joke around about how my wheelgun never jams like their autos and maybe they should switch divisions. I stopped joking about that when my cylinder came off in the middle of a stage. But we should maybe try to make a concentrated effort to bring more people to the sport. Shooting revo in a USPSA match can be downright discouraging.

Granted it's not fast or new or hip like PCC or CO, but there's gotta be something mystical about it by the reactions I'm getting when I shoot.

16 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

Someone forgot to tell CO and PCC that. ?

My observation as well. CO probably being the largest trend right now, particularly with those of us who are long in the tooth. Young people with good eye sight are also going back to Production with the various CZ's.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:08 AM, Mcfoto said:

As a newb, it looks to me like classic 6-shot is dead, even in ICORE. We have a hand-full of dedicated revolver shooters at our matches and enough who shoot both to field a modest 1-squad ICORE match. Only one other guy and me shoot Classic and we are usually at the bottom of the tally board. Those 8 round arrays just make standing reloads mandatory. I've given up on the notion of shooting revolver in USPSA even if I get an 8 banger. My head can't seem to slice the stages in reloads of less than 10.

I still take my 66 out to the range weekly and shoot El Prez-like courses. Kind of wishing someone would organize a competition around something like that.

I still somewhat strongly disagree with the standing reloads idea. Even back when it was all 6, I recall averaging only one or two standing reloads in a major match and often none.  That was a big part of the fun for me, figuring out where I could take a shot ten yards longer through a window or door so that I wouldn't have to reload static. 8 shots relieved that for folks that didn't enjoy the breakdown as much, and a 6 can't beat an 8, I think we established that at the 2012 Nationals.  Local matches can be troublesome because there's only so much effort you can ask of the designers as far as multiple angles, but standing reloads should never be a barrier to entry.

Last Sunday was the first match for the PA Steel League. The weather sucked (cold, windy and rain). We had 16 revolvers show up to shoot the match. One of them was me.

I intend to dabble a little with open rimfire pistol this year but in general I'm all in for revo., mainly steel challenge but a bit of ICORE and maybe some USPSA.  As others have stated I really don't care who shoots what, this is a fun past time for me. True, regardless of what gun I shoot I'm not in any danger of winning but the challenge of the gun just makes it more funner for me.

The reason I'm going to expand into rimfire pistol is I'm trying to get my wife involved and so I'm trying to get an understanding of what is involved. If not for that I would be 100% revolver.

Edited by firewood

8 minutes ago, firewood said:

Last Sunday was the first match for the PA Steel League. The weather sucked (cold, windy and rain). We had 16 revolvers show up to shoot the match. One of them was me.

Steel probably isn't the best way to judge turnout, most steel matches I've been to guys shoot 2 or 3 divisions each. If they had to pick one division I'd bet revolver turn out would drop.

Locally, at in USPSA a 100 shooter club match will probably have 2 guys shooting revolver. If more people shot that division I'd consider it again. But as of now I don't see myself ever shooting a wheel gun in a match again.

21 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Probably more 1911s out in the cold, cruel world than any other.

Possibly in "the cold cruel world", but NOT at any matches

I've been to in the past five years.

1911's are as scarce as a hen's tooth where I shoot    :) 

I (and you) always have 3 revolver matches available

1.  You and your revolver friends shoot one in the back yard.

2. Go to you local match and shoot revolver.

3. Drive a distance to an ICORE match.

See you at SW ICORE regional end of April  of PSA shootout also end of April.

PSA 700+ shooters in 4 divisions,  Revolver, Revolver Open, Semi Auto and Open.  50% of the divisions are REVOLVER only!!!

Then next month (May) will also have the same options.

Revolver is not dead!!!  Go shoot a match.

Don't forget Steel Challenge has Revolver only classes.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

That is sad, considering that they and the Hi Powers were basically what started IPSC/USPSA.

I started in the late 80's with the BHP 9mm, and soon after

switched to the 1911 in .45 (there weren't any .40's).

15 years later, bought a TruBor 9mm Major, and haven't shot

the .45 in DECADES in a match.

I have shot the BHP a number of times, since the TruBor

wasn't "Legal" in NYS at the time, but shot the TruBor

all over Pa, Mass, CT, Md, VA and Fl.

I had just as much fun shooting the 1911 and the BHP,

BUT, if you have a TruBor, it just pops out at you when

you load up the car to go to the range    :) 

30 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

True dat, BUT here we're actually discussing SS (1911's only)   :)  

Gee, I thought the thread was about revolvers... which we're all going to be shooting if the gun grabbers get their way...